Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: neighbours dog coming into yard

Thanks

By the way - to keep out other animals from your property you can use an electric fence as used by farms to keep cattle in. It's of course inconvenient to put up, but may help.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 163249 View Post
    By the way - to keep out other animals from your property you can use an electric fence as used by farms to keep cattle in. It's of course inconvenient to put up, but may help.
    The problem with farm animal fences is that they only pulse about once per second, which is plenty of time for a dog to get through or over without getting bit. But if it's an older model, you may be able to adjust the PRF by simply changing a cap in a CR circuit. I set one up so it pulsed about 4 to 5 times per second. This will also drop the peak voltage (20KV to 25KV) down accordingly though. But I checked mine with a X1000 probe on an oscilloscope and it was still producing a spike of around 5,000V. It was plenty enough to keep the dog, a chook and my daughter, from crossing it. Also, you will need to set up a multi strand system with a dog too. It needs to be high enough to stop them jumping it, and low enough so they can't get under it. (like in the song.. "so high can't get over it, so low can't get under it")

Incidentally she wasn't impressed when she tested out the "in ground" system either. Got her to walk towards the antenna line while holding her fingers on the two probes on one of the collars to see how far before they got the warning beep, then the shock. "It's ok, you'll just hear a beep then you should feel a mild tingle when you get too close" She was a bit wary, but just as she was about to start walking towards the fence, the problem dog, who wasn't wearing one of the collars yet, ran towards the gate. She bolted forwards, forgot about the collar in her hand, and beep beep Zzzaappp.

She let out a string of obscenities as she threw the collar away, calling me all sorts of names you shouldn't hear your daughter call you. I just said to her.. "I guess we should probably put it down to medium for the dogs eh?"

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

163249 (04-01-21),lsemmens (04-01-21)

Thanks

Testing it out on your daughter: I like your work!

With the electric fence I posted about earlier in the thread, I recall watching the family cat stroll over to the fence. As a 15 year old, I thought “this’ll be good” and sat back to watch the action.

The crafty old cat sidled up to the fence, appeared to just rest his whiskers on it, sensed the electricity and walked away - never to go near it again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Testing it out on your daughter: I like your work!

With the electric fence I posted about earlier in the thread, I recall watching the family cat stroll over to the fence. As a 15 year old, I thought “this’ll be good” and sat back to watch the action.

The crafty old cat sidled up to the fence, appeared to just rest his whiskers on it, sensed the electricity and walked away - never to go near it again.
    Well my son has always been a bit gunshy ever since he used to help me fixing lawnmowers.. :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    The problem with farm animal fences is that they only pulse about once per second, which is plenty of time for a dog to get through or over without getting bit.
    It doesn't matter how many times it misses, only the one time it does
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    It doesn't matter how many times it misses, only the one time it does
    As long as it isn't the time when he's trying to get back in the yard... LOL

Thanks

You can of course build something out of an ignition coil and do some hacks to make it pulse as often as you like.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

kick it in the ass and yell at it, it'll get the message eventually....

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (04-01-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    I wonder how that works? Is your neighbour a former council employee, or does he have a friend or relative who works there?

On the other hand, I have seen a dog complaint investigated with extreme heavy handedness and great zeal by another Council. One of the neighbours involved was a council employee. ‘nuff said.

It's usually always the same.......
    It's not what you know...... It's who you know!
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12