Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: neighbours dog coming into yard

Thanks

Default neighbours dog coming into yard

Hi
    I am having trouble with the dog from next door. It keeps coming into my yard. now i get along well with these people so i don't want to cause trouble however it is becoming a problem.
    It is chewing up my things, it chewed into a bottle of engine coolant in my car port. it has dug and undermined the split system outdoor unit twice. and it now prevents my dog from doing his business outside because it immediately wants to play once I let my dog out. this results in my dog doing it in the house.

I am not really keen on calling the council because there are a number of people around that have done that, as a result they have put a temporary fence across between their house and the boundary fence but this doesnt stop it because their dog jumps the chain-link fence. all this has done is made my pool fence technically noncompliant because their temporary fence is climbable and butted against the pool fence.

what can i really do from here, I feel taking the dog to the pound is a bit cruel because it will likely end up destroyed however i am concerned not just for the damage to my property but if it can jump into my yard it can jump my back fence and if it jumps my back fence i don't want to be liable if it bites or attacks someone.

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Report it to council. You shouldn't need to identify yourself.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

163249 (03-01-21)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Amazed it survived the coolant, it usually kills dogs.

I'd talk to neighbour, being very diplomatic about the situation.
    Don't mention the coolant, or they may report you for leaving poisonous substance where dogs & children could die if they consumed it.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then call the council.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (30-12-20),enf (30-12-20),tristen (01-01-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post

I'd talk to neighbour, being very diplomatic about the situation.
    Don't mention the coolant, or they may report you for leaving poisonous substance where dogs & children could die if they consumed it.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then call the council.
    Agree....

Start with a straight talk.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (31-12-20)

Thanks

I'm honestly surprised by this too. possibly its effects are cumulative.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Solve that issue first and any other dangerous substances you have lying around, then call the council.
    Dogs should not be free roaming around, period
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

If you get on well with them just keep talking until it sinks in to them. I would tell them about the coolant, I couldn’t imagine them going to council as it would just put more heat on them.
    Surely you would not be liable for a dog bite at your place if the dog gets out of its home.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mkhannah For This Useful Post:

eaglem (31-12-20)

Thanks

Councils don’t do anything in these cases - to them, you as the complainant are the problem, not the dog owners.

In the mid 80s, we had a similar problem at my Old Man’s place. The dogs would dig under the fence - you’d fix it and strengthen it, then they’d dig under it again somewhere else. He was on a large block and the dogs in question were never, ever walked or taken anywhere. They were large, energetic dogs and were bored...

I built an electric fence controller from an Electronics Australia article - it wasn’t nearly as powerful as a “proper” electric fence - just a 12v ignition coil and a 6v battery. It was enough to give a good tickle and after a while, the dogs associated the electric fence tape with pain and didn’t go near it, so it didn’t need to be left on all the time. It was highly effective, and sent a message to the owners that seemed to get through. Unfortunately, I think it’s illegal to use electric fences in built up areas these days.

Thanks

My son had a problem with his dog getting out. He installed a hidden electric fence around the block just inside the perimeter and placed a receiver collar on the dog. see

The fence consists of a buried wire, just under the ground surface, connected to a HF transmitter in the garage. The dog wears a receiver collar. If the dog approached the wire the collar makes a sound, if the dog gets closer it receives a small electric shock.

It only took a few weeks for the dog to learn to back off when it heard the sound. The unit is now turned off but the dog will not go anywhere near the property boundary.

• The Following User Says Thank You to RogerTheDoger For This Useful Post:

eaglem (31-12-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
    My son had a problem with his dog getting out. He installed a hidden electric fence around the block just inside the perimeter and placed a receiver collar on the dog. see

The fence consists of a buried wire, just under the ground surface, connected to a HF transmitter in the garage. The dog wears a receiver collar. If the dog approached the wire the collar makes a sound, if the dog gets closer it receives a small electric shock.

It only took a few weeks for the dog to learn to back off when it heard the sound. The unit is now turned off but the dog will not go anywhere near the property boundary.
    Friends use this for their dog on their block in a major City, works well.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

I installed one at my daughter's house. Their dog was getting out and killing the next door neighbour's chooks. At the time it was around $450 - $475 with an extra collar. Works well, but you have to go through the training regime, otherwise they learn they can just bolt over it, even if they do get a shock.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Councils don’t do anything in these cases - to them, you as the complainant are the problem, not the dog owners.
    From experience I must vehemently disagree.
    I have a nasty neighbour who complains about the tiniest things around him and the council always comes running: Dogs barking, water sprinkler going on his property, I put a shade cloth up to stop him perving on my wife with his spy camera - he even gets the council to charge me $280 for that.

Councils thrive on complaints, it is when you need their help when they pull in their tails and let you wait for the longest time possible before they get of their arses.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (31-12-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Far out is like a local community FB post lol
    Just leave more coolant out

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (31-12-20),mkhannah (31-12-20),Peck (04-01-21),wotnot (03-01-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bazzy View Post

what can i really do from here, I feel taking the dog to the pound is a bit cruel because it will likely end up destroyed however i am concerned not just for the damage to my property but if it can jump into my yard it can jump my back fence and if it jumps my back fence i don't want to be liable if it bites or attacks someone.
    Thats an easy one Bazz , you live in QLD like me , you can legally own multiple gel blaster guns and slingshots. I had a major problem with the abo twit next door and his supposed pitbull "service dog" which was just some mutt he picked up and " self trained" to be compliant as a service dog. Multiple complaints to council from all the neighbours about barking , escaping , no leash , pooing on footpaths went nowhere because this dog was a "service dog" for some made up invisible disability. so anyway back to the gel blasters - whenever the twit went out and the dog would start howling , i'd poke the M4A1 through the fence and give the dog some well placed get balls to the head. So the other neighbours did the same and soon after the dog went crazy , escaped and never came back
    And by the way here in Yeppoon the council wont act unless you supply full details with a complaint , so remaining anonymous wont be an option if the matter goes to court.

Thanks

buy chilli pepper and where ever you notice the dog sniffing etc put
    the pepper there .

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

eaglem (31-12-20),enf (31-12-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    buy chilli pepper and where ever you notice the dog sniffing etc put
    the pepper there .

Have a mate who lives down the hill near a creek. He has open eaves, and rats started moving into the roof at one point. No one was able to get rid of them.

He's a drainer and a mate gave him the solution. He got up there one day and laid hot chilli pepper on all their runs. He said that the first night he and his wife lay in bed and listened to what he described as a loud pinball machine. The next night silence and they were someone elses problem....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    From experience I must vehemently disagree
    I wonder how that works? Is your neighbour a former council employee, or does he have a friend or relative who works there?

I had an across the road neighbour who had a yappy little dog. I was far enough away that it didn’t bother me, but it was quite rightly driving the owner’s next door neighbour crazy. She had to keep a diary of the noise, then she had to pay $25 to have them investigate (a strangely Tasmanian thing - it’s supposed to be refunded if the complaint is proven). My neighbour jumped through all the hoops over a period of months and the Council sent the offender a few letters, but nothing actually happened. The damn thing kept on yapping and it was made very clear that the neighbour doing the complaining was considered to be the problem, not the dog or the dog’s owners.

On the other hand, I have seen a dog complaint investigated with extreme heavy handedness and great zeal by another Council. One of the neighbours involved was a council employee. ‘nuff said.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    I wonder how that works? Is your neighbour a former council employee, or does he have a friend or relative who works there?
    No, just a nasty psycho who has no friends and does not work. He also calls the police with his nuisance.

Maybe Tassie is more laid back than our police state NSW.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

So I have just skipped over the above posts. I have enough reasons to hate people and not enough bullets.

Anyhow. I was thinking how I have solved this problem in the past.
    It starts with a stray animal that I know belongs to people I don't want to upset but they really should be responsible enough to stop their animal getting into trouble.
    You can't experiment on the animal's owners because "apparently" this constitutes some form of crime against humanity. (I continue to question the definition).

So you're left to train their animal. Training it with positive reinforcement isn't going to achieve anything.
    So you have to put the fear of god into the animal. This isn't that hard.

The first is to use the positive reinforcement to train the animal into a sense of false security.
    A nice tidy little piece of cooked mince meat which randomly appears at the same place in the yard that the dog will find it.
    Every time you put the bait out, the dog takes it. This completely disarms the dog.

When you have achieved the nirvana of canine apathy you change the game.
    Get yourself one of those 11 mile cattle electric fences. The ones that ####ing hurt. Now if you do the job properly you will be able to run a nice fine self supporting wire placed so close to the bait that the dog's nose is going to touch it.

But this is not enough. You also need to have an association with the punishment. A boogieman. This can be something simple like a CD hanging on a string beside the bait.
    When the dog it hit with the touch of death the first thing that he notices that is different from every other good time will instantly be blamed and be feared for the rest of his days.

So when he comes back the next day and sees that CD dangling, he is going to get as far away from it as possible.

When you hear that "yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp ......" The longer it goes for the better the job you did.

If the dog is coming into a closed yard then that's even easier. The entry to the yard is wired. The neighbours dog digging under my fence, I back filled it. He dug it out again, only this time the wire was waiting from him on the other side. When he stuck his head under that colourbond fence, I thought there was a thunderstorm approaching.

<BOOOM>..."yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp yelp....
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (02-01-21)

Thanks

Only if it's ethylene glycol, today it's not unusual that it's propylene glycol.

Propylene glycol is actually used as food additive in some cases:

• The Following User Says Thank You to 163249 For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (04-01-21)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast