Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Actron AM24-1 Controller Possible Thermistor Replacement.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Hmmm....as you've noted a discrepancy between the temp the unit now displays (as opposed to previously), and what temp is measured by standalone thermometer, one has to make a choice on which data-points might be deemed as accurate.

If we consider the multimeter reading to be accurate with 8K resistance, we'll guess at one of the more common thermistor values (10K @ 25C);

(what the unit says)-> 8K @ 20C would infer a 10K NTC thermistor @25C with a delta of 3.9% per degree C

(what the thermometer says) -- 8K @ 23C ...nothing really 'fits' the standard ranges ..8K2 is the next resistance value down but none have a low enough thermal coefficient, ergo it's likely a 10K @ 25C NTC as well , with a higher delta value...highest I can find is 4.7% per degree C.

'Just because' the component itself is unmarked, and you've noticed a discrepancy between two different controller boards wrt measuring temperature (with the same unmarked thermistors) -and- your controller has already lunched on one, you're allowed to speculate these thermistors are chinese bespoke, or else factory rejects, or anything else like this, and thus if something like the actual component tolerance is out to +/-20% instead of less than half that, these things would easily account for such discrepancies (and the fact they die in the first place =)

Of the 2 choices, I'll presume the unit is working in some uncalibrated state due to the board swap, but the part dimensions appear correct wrt thermistor types... ergo, replace dead thermistor with any NTC 10K @ 25C thermistor, and observe results... ie; how closely displayed temp correlates with thermometer readings.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Softek2 (11-02-21),tready (10-02-21)

Thanks

He is measuring the part in circuit I would guess. In which case the 8K is probably what in circuit will read on a 10K part. I would solder a 10K 5% or better resistor in the old controller. See what temperature it displays and then measure it in circuit. Probably 8K depending on meter polarity. Then I would buy a pack of 10K thermisters and put one in the old unit to use as a spare.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    "Have Spectrum Analyzer, - Will travel".

• The Following User Says Thank You to RFI-EMI-GUY For This Useful Post:

tready (10-02-21)

Thanks

Thanks wotnot,

Agree 10K seems most logical when I was researching values. There is no way I have found to adjust the calibration on the controller which is annoying I rang Actron and asked the question and the newer controllers have the ability to plus or minus a 3 degree difference. I guess they got complaints about them being out of spec from junky components want to give changing the thermistor a go just for my own satisfaction and self confidence in soldering, just didn't want to do it without some sort of backup in case the whole thing went belly up. Will report back on the success or failure of my efforts.

Thanks

Well time for an update, After a struggle I replaced the thermistor and it worked (note to self get a better iron) Bad result is this one is 2.0/5C out on the reading which is liveable going to order a few online and see if I can get a better tolerance variation then the Jaycar one I used. At least I know its not dead completely though.
    Last edited by tready; 17-02-21 at 04:52 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tready For This Useful Post:

wotnot (17-02-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Uncalculated guesstimation based upon what the jaycar part did -->

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

tready (17-02-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Thanks, Planned on getting a few different ones as a trial and error but at least its getting closer went from dead to nearly working.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion I thought of getting a few different ones and trying it out with varying margins. At least were getting warmer went from 0% working to 98& functional and I cant thank you enough for all your info provided.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, Was thinking of getting a few different ones with varying margins and doing trial and error. At least we have gone from 0% to 99% functioning and I didn't destroy it during the process will keep cracking at it and see where we end up. I mean I could live with it quite easily but its my OCD that likes numbers to be perfect. Thanks for all the info you have provided would of been lost otherwise.
    Last edited by tready; 17-02-21 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,058 Posts

There must be away of calibrating the unit. Manufacturing tolerances would need to be taken in to account at testing stage.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

dunno but spoke to a mate he told me stick two diodes in series (one fwd/one rev in parallel) then keep adding them to get it right . He works on industrial boilers ?????

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reschs View Post
    There must be away of calibrating the unit. Manufacturing tolerances would need to be taken in to account at testing stage.
    You'd think so, but the Chinese really have re-invented the meaning of the term 'close enough is good enough', and the testing regime (if any) might not extend beyond an accuracy of +/- 2C error margin wrt displayed temperature =)

Thing is, there's a few ways of achieving such calibration ;

*change the thermal coefficient factor in the firmware, of the algorithm that's doing the ADC measuring/reporting of the thermistor circuit, at testing time (or based on the tested performance of the unmarked batch of thermistors)

*install a 'shim' resistor in series with the thermistor, to make the thermistor temp/resistance curve closely match the firmware operations

If you hold that last thought for a moment, R67 (2K7) in series with the thermistor, may actually be that resistor shim...(or a current limiter...would be worth checking it's actual value with thermistor removed)

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    dunno but spoke to a mate he told me stick two diodes in series (one fwd/one rev in parallel) then keep adding them to get it right . He works on industrial boilers ?????
    This is a thing, but not applicable here really due to the low temperatures/temp range involved ...tends to be a good solution when you need monitor high temperatures tho' ( >100C), like in boilers =)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Softek2 (20-02-21)

Thanks

You'd think so, but the Chinese really have re-invented the meaning of the term 'close enough is good enough', and the testing regime (if any) might not extend beyond an accuracy of +/- 2C error margin wrt displayed temperature =)

Thing is, there's a few ways of achieving such calibration ;

*change the thermal coefficient factor in the firmware, of the algorithm that's doing the ADC measuring/reporting of the thermistor circuit, at testing time (or based on the tested performance of the unmarked batch of thermistors)

*install a 'shim' resistor in series with the thermistor, to make the thermistor temp/resistance curve closely match the firmware operations

If you hold that last thought for a moment, R67 (2K7) in series with the thermistor, may actually be that resistor shim...(or a current limiter...would be worth checking it's actual value with thermistor removed)

This is a thing, but not applicable here really due to the low temperatures/temp range involved ...tends to be a good solution when you need monitor high temperatures tho' ( >100C), like in boilers =)
    I measured it when I was first troubleshooting and I think it was about 273ohms. I thought the value of the resistor is 270 Ohm so assumed it was okay I based the info from this site But your saying its 2.7k? If I was to put a resistor in series what values do you think I should look at?

Thanks

Sorry about the earlier triple post I was replying but the post was disappearing when I looked so I kept posting till one stayed the rest obviously posted some time later

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tready View Post
    I measured it when I was first troubleshooting and I think it was about 273ohms. I thought the value of the resistor is 270 Ohm so assumed it was okay I based the info from this site But your saying its 2.7k? If I was to put a resistor in series what values do you think I should look at?
    My bad - I was reading it as a 3 digit code -- it is indeed a 270R resistor

• 17-03-21, 11:24 PM

Thanks

Just in case anyone comes across this thread while searching I gave up on trying to find the correct thermistor for my stuffed controller. But I did find a way for me to calibrate the "new old" controller I got by following these instructions here even though its for the new model controller it still applied to my AM series controller.

You enter the program mode the same way but instead of pressing fan control to enter the zone enabling I used the right arrow keys and scrolled thru till the room led lit then used the left set temp arrow keys to +1.8 degrees to it scrolled thru the remaining settings till it exited back to normal checked the room temp and it was inline with my own thermometer. There is 2 room adjustments I adjusted both but the 1st one is for controllers internal sensor and the second would be for external zone sensors I assume.

There is actually quite a lot of adjustments, The Cut in & off tolerance for both heat and cool modes regarding the set point, How many hours pass by before the filter light comes on and a couple more that I am not sure and didn't want to touch.
    After I set the settings and tested it I reset the controller to factory settings to confirm what I adjusted was correct and just incase I had adjusted something else. Checked room temp was out of whack again as I was expecting re entered the program mode adjusted the room temp only carefully made sure I backed out not touching anything else.

So I am happy now and so is the boss wasn't a big problem in summer in cooling mode but in winter you feel it more. I will keep my old dud controller and get the correct formfactor size thermistor for it instead of the oversize jaycar one I have when I was testing it knowing I can actually adjust it now. Taken me 3 months but was hoping to jag one of the newer LM controller on ebay cheap but no luck yet just happen to find the manual today whilst searching for controllers on google.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12