Thread: Yamaha RX-V2073 & AV Controller app

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default Yamaha RX-V2073 & AV Controller app

Hi all,

I've had a Yamaha RX-V2073 connected to my home network for many years via an ethernet cable to a Netgear N600 (DGND3700 V2) modem and have always been able to connect to it over Wi-Fi using the Yamaha AV Controller app on my Samsung S8.

Unfortunately when I moved to the NBN on Telstra I changed out the modem for the Telstra supplied Gen2 Smart Modem and ever since then I just can't connect to the amp using the app.
    I've tried various versions of the app right back to V5.00 and various phones S5, S8 & S10 and tablets but no luck.

Has anyone else ever seen this issue and have a fix for it?

Thanks

Simon

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Check your network settings. Are you using fixed IP for your AVR and DHCP on the router, or vice versa?
    Can you connect to the AVR via a laptop, using the IP displayed on your AVR "On Screen" -> Setup -> Network -> IP Adress page
    What I generally do is have a pool of fixed IPs set up on the router (1-100), and DHCP pool from 101 up. Have all you fixed devices (AVR, Streamers, NAS) set for fixed IP and all mobile stuff (phones, tablets, laptops) set to DHCP
    Last edited by bob_m_54; 16-02-21 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks

So how did you go Simon? Did you sort out your problem?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Hi Bob,

Sorry for the delay, I only really look at it every now and then, try it again and it works, come back the next weekend and nope can't connect, it's just so random.
    Yep that is exactly how I have it set up AVR has fixed IP of 192.169.0.2, router is fixed with 192.168.0.1 DHCP range is 192.168.0.150 - 192.168.0.250

It's definitely the Wi-fi part of the Telstra router. when trying to access the AVR through either the app on the phone or through the web browser again on the phone it doesn't work.

Screenshot attached.

If I then try and connect through a PC with a hard connection to the router using a web browser it works straight up and has never failed.

The odd thing is that sometimes the app works then 5 minutes later doesn't work

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,510 Posts

Firmware version in the AVR?

Tried another (not samsung) phone with the same app? (there was an update from samsung late Jan which may have broken things)

Have all you fixed devices (AVR, Streamers, NAS) set for fixed IP and all mobile stuff (phones, tablets, laptops) set to DHCP
    One would be slightly better off reserving IP for phone based on MAC in the DHCP server (we have an IP cam here, but it's possible to wander out of wifi range with the phone ; the firmware in the IP cam seems goofy if that happens ; if the phone comes back into range, and gets a different DHCP assigned address, you can't connect to the IP cam ..I consider it a FW bug in the cam, but this works around it)...just something to try

Thanks

What about connection via a wifi connected laptop to the Yammy internal web page, at the same location where the phone is used?
    Or trying the App, and browser connection on the phone, while standing close to your wifi router?

My setup is:
    House
    Yamaha RX-A820, WXC-50 and the main router ( wired with fixed IPs)

Shed
    RX-V1071 and a modem setup as a Wireless Access Point. (ie house and shed are both on the same subnet. and house router is the DHCP server) again wired with fixed IPs

Using a Samsung Galaxy S5, with the version 5.50 of the Yamaha app, and I can connect to any device from both the house and the shed. Same with connecting via wifi on a laptop.

One thing though, and I know others don't necessarily agree, When I did networking courses at TAFE advanced Diploma, I was taught not to use single zeros and leading zeros in your host IP octets.

Ie not to use 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.01.01 but obviously 192.168.1.101 is fine. I can't remember the reasoning behind it, it was 20 years ago. But it has stuck with me.

Not sure if you are aware of it too (don't think they reference it in the Yammy manuals), but if you type your AVR IP address into a browser, with /setup (ie 192.168.1.9/setup) you will open the AVR full setup page.
    Last edited by bob_m_54; 15-03-21 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I have it set up AVR has fixed IP of 192.169.0.2, router is fixed with 192.168.0.1 DHCP range is 192.168.0.150 - 192.168.0.250
    Is that AVR IP address a typo?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    It's definitely the Wi-fi part of the Telstra router.
    I concur. Telstra routers are garbage. Their Wifi is garbage too. Do you have the option to connect the receiver via ethernet cable to the router? I find that Telstra routers in particular have issues dealing with static IP addresses and dealing with addresses inside and outside of the DHCP range. I strongly recommend setting your devices to DHCP and then assigning static IP addresses from within your router, based on device MAC address. Same outcome with IP addresses on each device, but the router controls it all. If you have issues with that, try allocating the IP addresses within the DHCP range. Better still, get a decent router!