Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Elon Musks Starlink

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Have been doing more power monitoring.
    Starlink, when not heating for snow melt, uses on average 45watts. Varies between 35w & 55w under normal operating conditions.

When heating for snow melt it uses an extra 50w, taking the total to 95w.
    Problem is in my climate now; the dish has been heating for expected snow when not necessary, like middle of the day at 8c & no snow forecast for my altitude, & it seems to just go into heating mode too often & too long.
    So I have gone into settings & turned the heating off.
    I don't need it using that extra power when not necessary on my off-grid power system.
    It's turned off over night anyway, so it's going to have to cope with it. We'll see.

I only get snow maybe 3 or 4 times a year that settles here anyway & usually one big dump in early August.
    If snow is forecast for my altitude in the coming weeks, then I'll turn it on, including snow melt heating, at my discretion.
    Oh & BTW, when turned off over night, every night, it boots up in the morning in ~5 minutes, with full access.

Overall I'm really impressed with the Starlink system, however I can't understand what it bases it's snow melt heating cycle on.¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Anyone else here on Starlink notice your dishy has changed position?
    Mine has pointed almost due South since installed in early may this year. I just noticed that it's now pointing South East. I tried searching & found a quote from Farcebook stating the same, but the link just takes me to the starlink FB page not the actual post. Useless Farcebook.

It's not a problem as it's working perfectly. Just weird that it all of a sudden changed position by ~45deg.

Last edited by Tiny; 26-12-23 at 06:02 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Probably due to less congestion that direction?
    Starlink reconfigure their system regularly.

Sent from my CPH2437 using Tapatalk

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

Tiny (27-12-23)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Right you are hoe.
    Starlink has changed the direction for some customers as the satellite constellation grows, so the direction your dish points could change in the future.
    The more I read, the more I see people in different parts of the world having the dishy change orientation, for some it's no big deal, for others it is annoying due to already pruning or removing trees in one direction to find they now have to remove more.
    Though I did read that if you stow the dishy & then unstow, it might return to it's original direction from first install. For how long though?
    Not going to bother me. It can point where it likes, though if it goes much more east a very large tree may come in to play & it can not be removed or pruned.

It probably is about congestion locally as more people in my area are going Starlink.
    Last edited by Tiny; 27-12-23 at 10:32 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Hey all, just received a 1month free offer. $139 off for both you & me.
    I have omitted the link as I'm not sure I should post the live link regards forum rules?
    So if you are interested PM me & I'll give you the link.

Share Starlink with your friends and family. Each time someone purchases through your referral link and activates their Starlink, both you and your friend will receive a credit for one month of free service.

Your unique referral link:###

HOW IT WORKS
    SHARE YOUR REFERRAL LINK
    Copy and share your referral link directly with others or share on social media.

ENJOY YOUR FREE SERVICE
    Every time you help someone save on Starlink high-speed internet, get one free month of service.
    By participating you also agree to the Terms & Conditions noted below:
    To qualify for a referral reward, the following must occur:

the referred customer is not, nor have they ever been, an existing Starlink customer;
    the referred customer must purchase a Starlink Kit using the unique referral link provided by you;
    the referred customer must remain a paid Starlink customer for at least one (1) month after activating the Starlink Kit.
    This referral program only applies to Starlink's Residential and Roam offerings where Starlink is immediately available. Referred customers in areas listed as “Waitlisted” on the Availability Map are excluded from this offer: starlink.com/map.
    Cheers, Tiny

• Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567