Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Elon Musks Starlink

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 576 Posts

One more (possibly silly) question that I don't seem to be able to find an answer for...

I don't want a static WANIP address, and I need to be able to disconnect and reconnect to get a different WANIP address whenever needed (certain download sites place limits per IP address and getting a new one assigned by the ISP gets around this).

With my current internet connection, managed by my Netgear router, it's just one simple click to cycle the connection and obtain a new IP address, but can this be done with the Starlink router?

This would be a major "con" for me if it can't be done easily.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Starlink uses cgnat so your external ip will be obtained from a pool shared with multiple users.

Cycling your connection may or may not change your visible external ip address, but your assigned internal address will probably be static.

I just checked some of my Speedtests and it seems the external ip address changes every reconnect.....

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hoe; 23-04-23 at 01:03 AM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

Bigfella237 (23-04-23),Tiny (25-04-23),william10 (23-04-23)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Hey hoe, thanks for your valuable posts on this subject.

Have a couple of Q's you may be able to clear up for me, so I can pre-plan my install.

1: The supplied Wifi router, even if bridged with the LAN adaptor, see image from Starlink below, needs to be powered & connected to supply power to control & decode the dishy, Yes/No? I assume yes?

2: The supplied router works like any others regards access to it by passwords?

3: The supplied router is wireless 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz or both?

4: If Q 1: is yes, then is there any advantage/disadvantage either way of using the Starlink wireless verses my current hard wired & wireless router & if the 2 routers are used at the same time would there be any interference if I use them both for wireless, as I need at least 1 hard wired connection for my video editing monster PC I built several years back?

*Also for those interested in purchasing & got scared off by the long equipment lead time. Don't be.
    I ordered & paid for mine on Wed 19th April 2023, was despatched on Fri 21st, is now scheduled for delivery on this Friday 28th by DHL. Tracking shows it originated in Sydney.
    The Lan Adaptor was dispatched, separately, at the same time & is due same as above, however it is tracking as Australia Post ordinary Parcel Post, from Eastern Creek Sydney, so will be stopped at the local Post Office for me. No mail delivery here. I'll make do with out it until I get into town again next Wednesday.
    Last edited by Tiny; 26-04-23 at 06:59 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member
    Thanks

1 yes
    2 yes
    3 both
    4 bridging the starlink router disables dhcp and wireless. your current network setup is unchanged, assuming you have a spare wan port on the router.
    unbridged you can use the wireless on the starlink and your current setup as well. best to disable dhcp on your existing router if you go this way, or even better replace it with a switch.
    Last edited by hoe; 26-04-23 at 08:01 PM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

Bigfella237 (26-04-23),OSIRUS (07-05-23),Tiny (27-04-23)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Thanks hoe, found the router specs.
    STARLINK WIFI ROUTER
    Wi-Fi Technology IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac standards
    Chipset Wi-Fi 5
    Radio Dual Band - 3 x 3 MIMO
    Security WPA2
    Environmental Rating IP54, configured for indoor use
    Range Up to 185m˛ (2000sqft)
    Operating Temperature -30°C to 50°C (-22°F to 122°F)
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Ok, so I finally have both the main unit & the adaptor. Both by AU Post. The DHL tracking numbers were a waste of time, generated from the DHL facility they are despatched from.

Now, I want to remove the cable from dishy gen 2, to make the install easier.
    I see that it should be easy, however I put enough pressure on, to the stage that I thought the cable will stretch or break?

Any one done this? what's the best technique?

Cheers, Tiny

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

william10 (01-05-23)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Ok, so I tried unsuccessfully to pull the plug out of the dish, so had to run the other end of the cable, which is much larger, thru the wall. Made for a way bigger hole than I would have liked, but I can cover it back in & it will be just fine.

I have done tests on all my equipment & the results are that using the LAN/WAN adaptor to hardwire into my home network & using my Linksys wifi router for my laptop & mobile, with LAN cable to my PC, is the best results.

The TV & Foxtel box are close to the Starlink router & work at a good quality speed, but the WIFI quality is poor if you get into other rooms. My Linksys wireless is stronger even if I have to go thru several walls. Since I can run both wireless networks at the same time, it makes it as easy as a speed test to select the best one.

Top speed so far goes to the hard wired PC upstairs. Results below.

Cheers, Tiny

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Bigfella237 (02-05-23),OSIRUS (07-05-23)

Premium Member
    Thanks

That's strange, I had no problems pulling cable out of the dish....

Like this,

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    That's strange, I had no problems pulling cable out of the dish....

Like this,

If it had been that easy I would be real pleased.
    Mine was like it must be superglued in. Maybe a returned package that the previous installer was over protective of it coming loose.
    I pulled as hard as I could & no movement, any more & the cable was going to start stretching, put a screwdriver in that area where the guy in the video used his fingernail. Absolutely no movement.

Guess I won't have to worry about it coming loose. Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Also a warning for people converting from Activ8/Skymuster, once you have Starlink running your Pop3 email account wont work until you plug Skymuster back in.
    I assume this is because of differential IP address & location data.
    I thought I'd changed over all my important email addresses, but missed a couple, notably Microsoft account that detected my PC in a different location & IP address. The verification email address for code was activ8.net.au. Solved it eventually by plugging in Skymuster/activ8 & changed my security protocols. Like trying to enter Fort Knox with a mask on. LOL.
    Now all I need to do is work out how many important web links I have that use the secondary active8 email for code verification. Had it set up this way for so long due to no mobile reception here.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member
    Thanks

Slight differences in speed from skymesh?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    Slight differences in speed from skymesh?

Activ8me actually, however yes it's a little better. 10x speed & 1/10th of the latency/lag. We can actually stream full HD video with no buffering or dropout.
    Have yet to try 4k streaming, but I'm sure it will be great. Been too busy changing email addresses so I can cancel the Skymuster setup.

Have talked to a few people locally who have just done the same because of the equipment discount & they are so happy with the ease of setup.

Hardest part of the changeover, echoed by all, is changing email address for banks & other high security institutions, that require a code sent to your old activ8 email address, that takes about 5mins to arrive, but the code times out after 3 mins from send.
    So you have to get on the phone to them & do it under their supervision with different security protocols & this can take up to an hour on the phone after you get thru the call wait list to start the conversation.

My wife & I have spent nearly 2 days full time with banks & financial institutions on the computer & phone solving these issues. A couple of them said that they fully understand how & why, as they have been doing a lot of this recently for people converting from Skymuster to Starlink.
    Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Hmm, I would have thought that since the dish, AFAIK, has inbuilt GPS to know where it is & therefore position itself correctly, that my IP address would give my current location. I guess that's not how it works.
    Instead I get Sydney as my current location, which is ~1400 km away.
    Sky Muster used ground stations in SA, Vic & NSW, so it alternated, which was worse.
    Constantly having to set my real location to get the correct local store when shopping, guess that wont change.

Also still loving Starlink (Skynet), the performance is awesome.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (07-05-23),william10 (08-05-23)

Thanks

There has been a large batch of gen 2 dishes which have the dish end of the cable glued in.

• The Following User Says Thank You to chookster For This Useful Post:

Tiny (10-05-23)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chookster View Post
    There has been a large batch of gen 2 dishes which have the dish end of the cable glued in.
    Thanks for that. That's what I suspected. They should warn people about that.
    If I had tried any harder, I would have broken the cable.
    Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Ok, so I can easily stream 4K programs & movies, however I'm having issues with Stan sport, particularly Indycar replays.
    It streams in reasonable quality for about 10 minutes then goes to crap & it's only 1080p at best, but when it goes to low quality, it's like 480p on a 65" tv, it's ugly..
    Have tried setting the Stan player on the TV to High HD instead of auto, with no joy.
    Have tried other motor sport from Oz with same result, it starts out great but degrades quick.

TV is a Sony 65" 4K, which does everything excellently except Stan Sport. Stan movies in 4K are no issue; excellent quality.
    It streams 4k YouTube with no issue, no degradation.

Searched for issues & found this one that sounds like the same thing.

Looked up Stan help & they recommend changing the DNS on my TV? I can't find a way to change my TV's DNS.
    I have customised my Starlink DNS to see if it will help, but I'm not sure if it will work.

Update your DNS Configuration–
    If your issue persists after following the above steps, please update your DNS settings on your TV to Google's custom DNS servers.

Google’s DNS IP addresses are as follows:

Primary DNS 8.8.8.8
    Secondary DNS 8.8.4.4
    We recommend consulting your device’s User Manual to change these settings correctly and also recommend you write down your default settings in case you need to revert back.
    Anyone got any ideas?
    Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Anyone got any ideas?
    Ok, problem solved. It was a DHCP issue between the TV & Linksys router.
    TV was defaulting to DHCP only on that wired connection.
    I disconnected the LAN connection from TV to Linksys.
    Connected TV to Starlink WiFi.
    Found settings in TV under IP settings, once set to Static instead of DHCP, it goes thru IP address, Default gateway, Network prefix length & then DNS primary & Secondary.

Now with them all set correctly & maintaining Static IP, it's all good for Stan Sport.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 576 Posts

The only thing that's still holding me back (besides the monthly fee) are these 'micro-dropouts', which I assume happen as dishy switches satellites.

I know streaming pretty much everything utilizes a buffer, so you'd never even notice a dropout so small, but I do a lot of file transfers and I'm worried about file corruption.

Unfortunately there's no way for me to test this without committing to an install.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    The only thing that's still holding me back (besides the monthly fee) are these 'micro-dropouts', which I assume happen as dishy switches satellites.

I know streaming pretty much everything utilizes a buffer, so you'd never even notice a dropout so small, but I do a lot of file transfers and I'm worried about file corruption.

Unfortunately there's no way for me to test this without committing to an install.
    The packet technology used for data transfer should avoid any loses.

You can test an upload with me if you like. Get a program called HashMyFiles at .
    Drag & drop the file into it (it will use a copy of the file, not own it) & you will get a hash value in MD5, SHA1, CRC32 & several others. Any change to that file will be reflected as a different Hash value.

PM me & I'll give you my email address, then send me a file, or if the file you want to test is too big for email.
    Just upload it & give me the hash value (copy/paste it to be sure it's exact) & I'll download it thru Starlink, check the hash & if it's perfect I'll let you know. Then I'll upload the file to my Google drive via Starlink & then you can check the hash value to see if it has been changed/corrupted in any way. Then I'll delete the file from my, PC & G drive.

EDIT: I just did a test drive for you, 20MB PDF, took less than a minute to upload & a few seconds to download again. Hash value is unchanged, so it is therefore not corrupted.

The micro drops aren't rally outages, they are just a loss of peak speed for a couple seconds.
    Here is a screen shot that shows there was a micro drop in performance as it was being uploaded, no effect.
    Last edited by Tiny; 16-05-23 at 03:03 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Bigfella237 (16-05-23)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Used a power monitor to check on the Starlink modem.
    Good news for off grid people like me, it operates at an average of ~12 watts. Which is bugger all in layman's terms.
    Don't know how much it will use in snow melt mode, hasn't used it's heater yet, even on frosting mornings. Was -1C at the house overnight. It must know the difference between snow & frost?

My Linksys wireless router operates at an average of ~50 watts, which probably explains why it's wireless range is over 3 times the distance of the Starlink.
    Last edited by Tiny; 18-05-23 at 03:13 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Bigfella237 (18-05-23)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Used a power monitor to check on the Starlink modem.
    Good news for off grid people like me, it operates at an average of ~12 watts. Which is bugger all in layman's terms.
    Don't know how much it will use in snow melt mode, hasn't used it's heater yet, even on frosting mornings. Was -1C at the house overnight. It must know the difference between snow & frost?

My Linksys wireless router operates at an average of ~50 watts, which probably explains why it's wireless range is over 3 times the distance of the Starlink.
    I actually got this ass about.

The Starlink uses ~50 watts & the Linksys uses ~12 watts. Oops, sorry about that.

The reason I found out, is that I had to troubleshoot the system this morning. Had no internet at all, Starlink app said dish unplugged.
    Well it wasn't, unplugged. Tried cycling the power & realised that when I tested I had the Starlink plug & Linksys plug opposite to what I thought they were.
    Anyway, the problem was no power pass to the dish through the Starlink LAN adaptor.
    Bypassed it & plugged dishy into the Starlink modem & it connected up with no issue.
    Then to test the adaptor I powered it all off, put the adaptor back in line & it works as it did yesterday.

For what ever reason, even though it appeared to be plugged in correctly, this morning, the adaptor failed to pass thru to dishy.
    At least it wasn't a dishy failure.
    Hope it doesn't happen again.
    Last edited by Tiny; 20-05-23 at 01:57 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

• Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast