Thread: Will this work:- Wireless AP connected via hotspot to my iphone for internet

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default Will this work:- Wireless AP connected via hotspot to my iphone for internet

Good afternoon clever folk
    Before I go and buy additional hardware, I have a need to be able to get cloud connectivity in the event of needing an audio driver or audio license validation when working with a band

Instead of buying a 4g modem and having another SIM data only plan, can i use the hotspot functionality of my iphone8 connected to a wireless AP then plug that network cable into my audio server (it just needs a network connection normally)?

I have hundreds of meg of data banked as it rolls over month on month and thought this may possibly work

Any advice on specific hardware as an AP if it can be done would be appreciated, if I am barking up the wrong tree, be kind 😜

Thank you in advace
    Mike

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 Times in 1,529 Posts

This would work (huge amount of options out there) -->

Thanks

What is your audio server and do you need to provide WiFi for anything else?

If you install iTunes on a Windows PC, enable the Personal Hotspot on the phone, then connect the phone to a USB port on the PC, the phone will appear as a network adaptor and will provide Internet access. It is much more reliable than WiFi and it keeps the phone charged at the same time. I guess it works in a similar way on a Mac, but I’ve never tried it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

mrtor (02-03-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    This would work (huge amount of options out there) -->

Thank you for that suggestion, a commercial solution would be better for this application

So based on your recommendation and some of the key words from the link you provided, i did a google on access point gateway and found this, so Would a tplink ac750 do the trick ? Ie:- give me that ethernet port to connect to my audio server and use the iphone in hotspot mode ?

Thank you in advance
    Mike

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 Times in 1,529 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrtor View Post
    Thank you for that suggestion, a commercial solution would be better for this application

So based on your recommendation and some of the key words from the link you provided, i did a google on access point gateway and found this, so Would a tplink ac750 do the trick ? Ie:- give me that ethernet port to connect to my audio server and use the iphone in hotspot mode ?

Thank you in advance
    Mike
    I think perhaps you should look at 'wifi to ethernet bridge' in commercial solutions... ie;

Essentially, the phone hotspot is your wireless AP/gateway, so you need a wifi device to connect to that in client mode, and bridge in the ethernet connection ; going by the above item description, it can do such a thing.

edit: Ooops, forgot to mention the tplink....I'm not sure about that specific model, but most of them can do this ; again, the wifi router connects to the AP in bridge/client mode, and the link ends up on the ethernet host ports (not WAN)... we use such a setup here at home for one of the bedrooms (that won't work with ether-over-main)
    Last edited by wotnot; 01-03-21 at 10:17 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

mrtor (02-03-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Just ordered you suggested item from a Sydney supplier
    Thank you so much for your assistance

Thanks

Higher end WiFi routers can do what you’re looking for - it’s called “WiFi as WAN.” Check out Cradlepoint - they’re rock solid and can do exactly what you need.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Q101ATFD For This Useful Post:

mrtor (02-03-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Q101ATFD View Post
    Higher end WiFi routers can do what you’re looking for - it’s called “WiFi as WAN.” Check out Cradlepoint - they’re rock solid and can do exactly what you need.
    Thank you for that tip also, I will go look now

Appreciate your help
    Cheers
    Mike