Thread: Connecting to an Optus Satelite Internet

Thanks

Default Connecting to an Optus Satelite Internet

I don't have a lot of details so I'm hoping someone will know what I'm talking about so it will make it easier for me....
    A guy at work has an Optus 2-way Satelite for internet at his place as he's in a remote area thats the only option.
    He wants to be able to connect to his network remotely so that he can view a camera.

I have this setup at my place, I have a Netgear ADSL router, which I open up the firewall to allow HTTP connections. When an HTTP connection comes in, it gets diverted to an IP in my local network (eg 192.168.0.100). On that IP I have a device that has a web interface connected to a camera, all good.

The problem this other guy has is that he has little or no access to the device that is connected to the satelite. This device (sorry no model numbers etc) only has one port on it which was plugged into his computer. He's since bought a D-Link DIR-300 router which he plugs into the satelite box, now he can have more of his deviced connected to the internet at the same time.
    Outgoing connections work, but he wants to get incoming connections working, but he doesn't know where to start.... He tried to ring Optus for assistance but apparently they weren't very helpful and said its not supported.
    Anyone got any ideas??
    My thoughts are that he needs to get into the satelite box settings... and forward incomming connections to the second box (the DIR300 Router), then in that router forward the connection to his local lan IP ie 192.XXX.XXX.XXX. Is this the right path??? anyone know if its possible with this equipment?? Apparently he has logged into the OPtus box before but there isn't many options there, he can only see signal strength etc.

Thanks

Look Here ->
    Thanks

He should not need to touch any of the settings in the Optus equipment.

All the settings/port forwarding should be done in the router.

The only problem he is likely to encounter is that most satellite connections are dynamic ip and he will need static to connect into the camera. He could use a tranlator to change his ip address from dynamic to static and try that. Look here for starters.

Andrew

Thanks

Yeah he has a static IP already..... I'll try to get a hold of the router