Thread: (K)Ubuntu straight to SD card

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Default (K)Ubuntu straight to SD card

Just a heads up, this happened accidentally when I wanted to install Kubuntu 20.04.2 on a small lappy with only 256GB SSD.

I had Windows and Kubuntu 18.04 already on the SSD and I just let it do it's thing automatically as the partitioning table looked the way I wanted it, not noticing that it was for the inserted 256GB SD (notice the very slight difference) as it split that in NTFS and EXT4 just like I would have expected it on the SSD.

And the difference is very slight. I only noticed after a few hours of playing around and installing new applications when I lengthened the Dolphin window and could see how many devices and partitions it had and the current installation was on the removable device.
    Everything installs and loads just as fast as it did with the SSD before so I can use the built in SSD for more space for games on Windows.

I wasn't aware that this works now out of the box because in the past it could be quite a PITA to get this done.
    Hope the read write cycles won't become a problem but by the time 22.04.x is released, I will just grab another 256GB SD, they are cheap as chips.

There is one catch though, the Grub boot loader doesn't like it when I take out the SD card and won't boot Windows. This is UEFI boot, so not simply a matter of fixmbr if the SD card fails but I am sure there is a work around for that.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 15-03-21 at 04:57 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (15-03-21),lsemmens (16-03-21),tristen (16-03-21)

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

That could be quite useful. Thanks Fester.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...