Thread: Strange powerline behaviour

Thanks

Default Strange powerline behaviour

Hi, I have some doubts about of using some powerline kits.

I've been using a TpLink 4220 kit and I have to admit that they are very reliable and I never have connection drops and the speed reaches about 60Mb/son ethernet output from the receiver. I'd like to renew my devices and to use a more performant kit as I have a faster internet connection since this earlier month (almost 200Mb/s).

I've tried a TpLink 8630 kit and I noticed a faster bandwidth up to 100Mb/s on ethernet output from the receiver but after some minutes my network's internet connection fail and I have to restart my router. I've tried mamy times excluding adapters, etc. but I always get the same results.

I've also tried a Fritz 1260/1220 kit as I'm using a Fritzbox 7530 router to set a Mesh network but I get the same results of latter TpLink powerline but I can't reach 70 Mb/s even as peak speed and the network's internet connection fails and I have to restart the router.

Why do you think I have these outcomes?

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 Times in 1,529 Posts

What router is it? (apart from the fritz 7530)

It could be as simple as your powerline isn't capable of such high speed, and the powerline adapters are copping dirty packets ..(which get dropped & a retransmission occurs) ; I'd probably look at how many dropped packets you're getting over the powerline interface.

If there's too many, the router might be gagging.

anecdotal: recently the powerline adapters here went 'silly'...sometimes good, other times not ~ problem was actually the PSU in this desktop (spraying noise onto mains power) ; replaced PSU, all good again (actually, better than before, so I construe that PSU was always noisy to mains...and got worse) It was a elcheapo 'Shaw' PSU ftr, works on computer just fine but noisy on mains input. Things like this, cause dropped packets (on the powerline ethernet transceiver)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

umby75 (16-03-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    What router is it? (apart from the fritz 7530)
    What do you mean?
    That router is connected to a Huawei mod.DN8245f2 (Fastgate) as a modem.

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    It could be as simple as your powerline isn't capable of such high speed, and the powerline adapters are copping dirty packets ..(which get dropped & a retransmission occurs) ; I'd probably look at how many dropped packets you're getting over the powerline interface.

If there's too many, the router might be gagging.

anecdotal: recently the powerline adapters here went 'silly'...sometimes good, other times not ~ problem was actually the PSU in this desktop (spraying noise onto mains power) ; replaced PSU, all good again (actually, better than before, so I construe that PSU was always noisy to mains...and got worse) It was a elcheapo 'Shaw' PSU ftr, works on computer just fine but noisy on mains input. Things like this, cause dropped packets (on the powerline ethernet transceiver)
    Ok. It's interesting because I can't believe I bought two defected kits.
    I thought that the 5Ghz feature available only on two most performant kits was eligible to get a very high speed but they don't work in that way but their working is worse than my old and incomparable at all since they cause the internet connection drops..
    But how can I measure the packet losses to know an objective technical data to prove it?

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

It only takes one faulty connection on the power line so dont expect to get perfect results , there are a numerous powerline faults that can occur and cause noisy connections , the best thing to detect these is a old am transistor radio and search your place for noise then go out to the street and search there . Dont automatically blame the device the noise will have different effects on different devices so you are wasting your time comparing oranges with bananas or limes or grapes , your problem could be as simple as a faulty shaver out let or light switch dimmer or your tv lol

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

wotnot (17-03-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by umby75 View Post
    What do you mean?
    That router is connected to a Huawei mod.DN8245f2 (Fastgate) as a modem.

Ok. It's interesting because I can't believe I bought two defected kits.
    I thought that the 5Ghz feature available only on two most performant kits was eligible to get a very high speed but they don't work in that way but their working is worse than my old and incomparable at all since they cause the internet connection drops..
    But how can I measure the packet losses to know an objective technical data to prove it?
    I just wanted to know what the endpoint/gateway router was (got it, found your other posts in tplink community, here, etc etc.. =)

Yes, that's how I figure it -- whilst not unheard of (buying 2 'defective' kits), it's possibly more than a coincidence both kits do roughly the same thing...and of course, they have a few things in common...ie; the mains power circuit is one. Then, considering you've also tried the Fritz 1260/1220 adapters (which for me look like d-link rebrands =) to achieve roughly the same misbehavour, one has to tend thoughts towards commonality within the topology, and the mains circuit itself is definitely that... note ; along with the gateway modem.

Years back, they used to release a utility that you could use to configure/interrogate these adapters (and some had SNMP which you could query), but a quick search reveals this is no longer the case (or they don't release the snmp MiB =), so it's hard to quantify what exactly the mains circuit is capable of/doing.

Which is really the crux of it ~ measuring the effective speed that your mains power circuit is actually capable of. As the modem is also a common element, you need to remove that from the test condition. That would take the form of setting up a server at the remote powerline adapter end, capable of delivering packet content at a rate equal to your internet connection, and seeing what happens ; it's about the only way I can think of wrt measuring the mains circuit itself.

Or... blame the Huawei DN8245f2. as it's the other common element - I'm not familiar with those, but see if it's got a syslog facility, turn it on if so, and maybe perhaps fingers-crossed the actual lockup event gets recorded there. If it were possible, also look at the ethernet stats of the port connecting to the powerline adapter...maybe a clue can be seen there.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

umby75 (20-03-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    It only takes one faulty connection on the power line so dont expect to get perfect results , there are a numerous powerline faults that can occur and cause noisy connections , the best thing to detect these is a old am transistor radio and search your place for noise then go out to the street and search there . Dont automatically blame the device the noise will have different effects on different devices so you are wasting your time comparing oranges with bananas or limes or grapes , your problem could be as simple as a faulty shaver out let or light switch dimmer or your tv lol
    Yeah, the actual topology of the mains circuit itself matters...ie; we've probably got the worse case scenario here, with a single level 3br house...with 40 GPOs connected onto one circuit...atrocious =) I can get to this room over mains, but the room beside this...nah, had to use wifi to reach that ...(pretty sure this exasperated the noise PSU situation as well).

Funnily, it reminds me of that old chestnut...'do not run ethernet cables near magnetrons' =)

Anyhow, as the OP's description basically says 'after 5mins it locks-up' , if it were a noisy mains device on the circuit, look for the one that starts up every 5minutes...(all I can think of is HVAC systems)

I had to go unplug one of my adapters, to even know what I bought (to replace the tplink units with died after lightning strike), and it turns out they're d-link (boo, hiss =) dhp-308v units, ergo no wifi extension just passthru, which work fine with what the NBN fixed wireless delivers.

Remember, OP's saying the modem's croaking, not the powerline adapter themselves ; if it were an avenue, I would swap out the modem for something else as part of a test =)

Thanks

@hinekadon
    @wotnot

Many thanks for your replies and I'm sorry for my late answer here.
    I checked the log in my Fritzbox router that is connected to the Huawei and the latter is set as a modem.
    Into the Fritzbox's log (I'm not an expert) I found that the 5Ghz band for ...min on selected channel ... can't be used due to the favorite users check (it was translated from German); after that the DDNS was in error or something like this... but I think that the Huawei, as you wotnot wrote, can tell us something of new but I have not found the syslog yet.
    But anyway in my little 65sqm apartment I'd like to get the maximum internet connection band on any corner of my house but it seems a very hard thing to do.
    I tried an AC1200 TpLink repeater with 2 bands - I thought that the 5Ghz could get a wider bandwidth- and I placed near the router with only a wall in the middle but the internet connection dropped drastically (10-30Mb/s) measuring with my phone next to the repeater...
    To be honest it's strange all this, I'd like to improve the connection. I have got a Tplink W8980 that I replaced with the Fritzbox and I think if I use it as a repeater.
    Now the only solution seems is to move the Fritzbox in my main room where I'm trying to get the maximum bandwidth but I'm curious about the larger houses and how they manage the situation..
    How can I fix my issue definitely?

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8705F using Tapatalk