Thread: Coax or other cable??

Thanks

Default Coax or other cable??

Hi all,
    I have a lot of trouble with the coax cables for my Vast box in my caravan, specifically the cable from the outside connector to the dish.
    It quite often requires re-fitting the connectors due to corrosion and or just mechanical wear and tear due to the fact that as I travel around with the van I have to connect and disconnect these coax cables many times.

My question:- Can I use some other type of twin cable, such as speaker wire, or even some twin wire with an outer shield ??
    Maybe I can use connectors that can be easily soldered and are more robust.

Cheers
    Rob

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dorisrob For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (13-04-21)

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

[I] would suggest that you get compression plugs on rg6 the coaxial cable is 75 ohms . there was a cable called trurip which was 75 ohms but it needs to be twisted correctly to make it so . it was made up of 7 strands of 0.023 inch wire then cast into a twin cable , but it gets shitloads of loss so its not worth the hassle and it wont go into "f type plugs"on your vast box

Thanks

It seems you described issues with the connector, but then ask about replacing coax
    F type aren’t the only suitable 75 ohm connectors... N type are easier to thread, and bulkier.
    Do you have the rubber boot on the coax end? For amateur radio it isn’t enough for us to use any bare connector for the antenna installation,
    but use messy coax goo, or expensive self amalgamating tape to seal the outdoor connections. This is with permanent installation in mind of course.

I haven’t checked, but if I go look at my Foxtel install, I hope they didn’t just plug F connectors in to the LNB and walk away!
    Last edited by Art; 12-04-21 at 10:35 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Rob,

You need to continue to use use coax (75 ohm tri or quadshield with the correct connectors for the cable type.).

The better connections are those in a weatherproof/resistant enclosure.

Subjecting connectors to water/moisture is the problem.

Compression F connectors with an O ring seal will minimise the ingress of moisture, but like any connections that are connected and disconnected numerous times, you will need to replace the connectors occasionally.

And Art... Foxtel require all LNB terminations to have amalgamating tape on them.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (13-04-21)