Thread: Kangaroo culling

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Default Kangaroo culling

Just seen the news report re stopping culling of kangaroos for use as meat and leather
    Personally i am all for shooting our national emblem, my reasons are that kangaroo populations have rocketed due to white man's clearing of land has made ideal breeding conditions and an explosion in population numbers. The only caveat to this argument is that i was not around when the first fleet arrived to do a kangaroo population census, so cannot give accurate numbers
    ps, they scare the crapper out of me after dusk when driving in the out back, so much so that i pull stumps before dark
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

enf (09-04-21),gulliver (09-04-21),hinekadon (09-04-21),wotnot (08-04-21)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

They keep the tilt-trays, panel shops & insurance companies busy around here, so one supposes if there's more skippys, these sorts of businesses will be in for a boon.

I actually hit a large buck in my car a couple of years back, and it's not the first time in my driving life, and you learn that when impact is unavoidable, line skippy up with the end of your front chassis rail, and let go of the brake just before impact and bury the go pedal in the floor.

It's not a nice death for the 'roo, perhaps a bullet is more humane, but essentially that's what happens -- stop the culls, increase the roadkill ; bit of a no win for poor old skippy, but what do you do? Put people's lives first, or 'roos?

If you like cause and effect, the local council spends hundreds of thousands each year, mowing the roadsides, to have them look neat and aid road visibility. Likewise, some land owners mower huge areas outside their front fence, to the edge of the highway -- when lack of rain happens, the grass doesn't grow -- when it does rain, the water runoff from the road irrigates the cleared areas beside the road so they're lush and green, which attracts the 'roos and wallabies. Among the locals, these places are known as 'skippy kill zones'.

To really throw irony into the mix, it's typically people who live in cities and don't have to get along with 'roos in everyday life, that make the call as to whether to cull or not -- typically, it's these folks 'day tripping' in their cars, who end up driving into skippy, and like you point out, an hour either side of dusk, is horrorshow time...same can be said for dawn to be sure (but there's more light). If you live in the same area long enough, you get to know where all the un-marked 'roos crossings are...but even saying that, a lot of drivers seem unaware to go into defensive driving mode when you see a skippy ahead warning sign.

If they're going to stop culling to the point that 'roos end up on the roadways more and threatening as many more lives, then part of driver training should see learners stuck into a driving simulator, to find out exactly what it feels like when doing 100kph and skippy appears in front of you (along with his mates) out of nowhere, and all rural highways and roads will be lined with 3metre high 'roo proof fencing... to keep skippy safe =)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

gulliver (09-04-21),hinekadon (09-04-21)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

I just hate pulling roos from the bullbar they really smell after a few days to and the dingos wont eat them gotta wait for the wedgeies to get them , sometimes they just fall off but not often and they wont fitt into the bin outside the supermarkets ?

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

gulliver (09-04-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

It's not just the live ones. A couple of years ago during the drought, I was heading north on the Newell. I was approaching a pretty slow 4WD to pass when he went over two dead roos I couldn't see. I was driving a VE SS which is pretty low. I had no choice but to go over them.

F*ck me, the car took a bashing underneath as I drove over them. Nothing was damaged, but the smell....jeeez. No rain around to wash underneath the car so we had to put up with the stink for ages. Every time I stopped windows had to go up.

I have never seen so many dead animals on the roadside in my life, and I've done plenty of rural driving especially growing up in WA.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (09-04-21)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I ran over a roo on my bike during my recent travels! I saw him coming and knew exactly what was on his mind so I slowed from my cruising speed. I managed to get down to about 60kph when, sure enough, he decided to cross the road. I hit the picks hard and ran over his tail! I could see myself going over the handlebars. We both survived, but skippy must have had a sore tail for a few days. Strangely enough as I was leaving Augathella next morning, I met another suicidal skippy. Fortunately I missed this one because I did not see him until he was right in front of me. Yes, both were just outside of the "twilight zone". I always stopped around 4pm and did not leave 'til after 9am and they were the ONLY live roos I saw on my entire trip.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (09-04-21),wotnot (09-04-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Years ago I ran over a dead roo with my Austin 1800 and it pulled the exhaust out of the manifold.I had to drive from Burning mountain/Murrarundi to Bendemeer with a roaring car at 3 am in the morning.I think I woke some people up.
    Another time I just got a new company car,Ford XD 1980 and hit a roo in the afternoon going to get some beer from Bendemeer.It was like hitting a concrete bag.
    The boss wasn't to happy.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gulliver For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (09-04-21)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

hell Gulliver ARE YOU ADMITTING TO OWNING A AUSTIN !*)) 1800 shame on you Its a secret that you should have taken to the grave ? even admitting to driving one is a crime / lol

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

gulliver (09-04-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I still got a Kimberly on the paddock.But to put your mind at ease, I had 2 Fords and 3 Holdens after that,lol.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gulliver For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (09-04-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

We go through this culling argument every few years here in Canberra. The roos get out of control in the reserves and disrupt traffic. Haven't killed anybody yet, but there have been close shaves.

The government and opposition agree on the culling, but the bog ignorant cabal of greenies want the roos moved. Imagine the expense. One year they sent shooters into a reserve at night ahead of the publicised cull...all done, no fuss. The crazies were furious....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

What shits me is that it's $20.00/Kg in the supermarkets..

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

enf (09-04-21),gulliver (09-04-21),hinekadon (09-04-21),wotnot (09-04-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    What shits me is that it's $20.00/Kg in the supermarkets..
    Ridiculous....I'm not a fan, but I know plenty of people who are.

Rabbits are another animal that should be cheap, but they are currently around $25 for a wild one, let alone farmed....

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Ridiculous....I'm not a fan, but I know plenty of people who are.

Rabbits are another animal that should be cheap, but they are currently around $25 for a wild one, let alone farmed....
    I'm not really a fan of rabbit, but did eat a few when we used to go shooting in Vic, back in the early 70's. But Roo, Emu and Camel are all good to eat. Croc is OK in a pie (bit like fishy chicken pie). In Alice, at the butcher shop in the town centre, you can get Camel & date (not camel's date) sausages, and they are tasty.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

enf (10-04-21),hinekadon (10-04-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    an hour either side of dusk, is horrorshow time...same can be said for dawn to be sure (but there's more light). If you live in the same area long enough, you get to know where all the un-marked 'roos crossings are...but even saying that, a
    Not only those times. Heading to Melbourne and about mid-day one bounded across in front of me. Hit the skids big time, missed it and a smaller one crossed the road behind us. Got to Melbourne, opened the boot and everything that was very tightly packed when we left had moved forward about 15cm.
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guiseppe For This Useful Post:

enf (10-04-21),hinekadon (10-04-21),wotnot (11-04-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Yeah, I've been startled on dull/overcast days by them.

Just so it's known, in Qld we have this; The Queensland law still gives right of way to livestock on our roads. "Any damage caused to the motorist's vehicle or injury to driver and/or passengers from the contact of cattle cannot pass liability/guilt onto the cattle owner; thereby preventing any recovery against the owner of the stock."

Not 'roos obviously, but still it's the only state like this. Around 2 years ago, both the NRMA and RACQ indicated that claims and incidents of 'roos strike was on the rise and becoming problematic, but aught seems to have been done about it. Like most things, it'll take a few deaths on the road caused by hitting skippy, before they do anything.

Talking about laws ; "Kangaroos, wallaroos and wallabies (collectively referred to here as kangaroos) are protected in New South Wales by the Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016 (BC Act). " ...SA has something similar. Other states have wildlife protection laws which apply to 'roos, but in Qld, as a landholder, you can get a permit to cull --

Even myself being a proud aussie, I still have to say the disparity between states and their laws is still a big problem here in AU, and not something that displays national unity...not even close.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

allover (11-04-21),lsemmens (11-04-21)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Problem is, wotnot, those states east of the border (including the NT) do not want to be told what to do with their land. We'd end up with those lot who live in Sydney (the Eastern most suburbs around the harbour area) telling the rest of us what to do with our problem animals. (of all sorts)
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (11-04-21)