Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody still watch F1?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Default Anybody still watch F1?

...sorry if I am a bit talkative today,

but the playing field has definitively changed this year ...so maybe give it a shot.

I definitely enjoyed the last race.

Considering Hamilton got lucky (again) and the Russel/Bottas crash red flagged the race which allowed Hamilton to unlap himself so they could all start behind each other, the 22 seconds gain for Verstappen over Hamilton in the last 20 odd laps was pretty outstanding, also considering that Hamilton had many slipstream events in that time while Verstappen had none.

Ricciardo sure needs more work. 30 seconds behind his team mate does qualify him as the second rate driver. I hope he can manage to change that.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (20-04-21)

3. Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

To answer topic question - no ; the lack of racing and entertainment value, IMHO, is summarized by the fact they can have 6minute 'highlights' video on youtube, which is enough time to recap the entire race. Sit still for more than an hour to watch 6minutes of excitement? Nah =)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (20-04-21),RedXT (29-06-21)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

You can summarise any sport event in 6 minutes or less. Actually 6 mins is quite long.

I can not view these summaries at all. That will never get me excited.
    I need to see the entire race as it happens or nothing.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 20-04-21 at 03:07 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (21-04-21),hinekadon (20-04-21),Tiny (21-04-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Sometimes...although as usual I long for the days of the 70's and 80's before ground effects turned them into slot cars....let alone before that when they were lethal.

I appreciate the technical achievements, but I think the viewable excitement is diminished.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (02-06-21),hinekadon (21-04-21),lsemmens (21-04-21),RedXT (29-06-21),Uncle Fester (21-04-21),wotnot (21-04-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Sometimes...although as usual I long for the days of the 70's and 80's before ground effects turned them into slot cars....let alone before that when they were lethal.

I appreciate the technical achievements, but I think the viewable excitement is diminished.
    They were not slot cars in the last race with the mixed rain conditions and everybody including Hamilton and Verstappen(during a warm up run) sliding all over the place.
    I prefer to watch crashes that are NOT lethal but very spectacular at these speeds.
    Supercars is boring for me to watch.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (21-04-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    They were not slot cars in the last race with the mixed rain conditions and everybody including Hamilton and Verstappen(during a warm up run) sliding all over the place.
    I prefer to watch crashes that are NOT lethal but very spectacular at these speeds.
    Supercars is boring for me to watch.
    Yeah, but that's uncommon isn't it. And yes, lethality should be a thing of the past or at least a rarity. Watch a doco FORMULA 1 THE KILLER YEARS to see how incredibly dangerous it really was.

Supercars need variety. British racing is better IMHO, although I don't watch it much.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (21-04-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Yeah, but that's uncommon isn't it. And yes, lethality should be a thing of the past or at least a rarity. Watch a doco FORMULA 1 THE KILLER YEARS to see how incredibly dangerous it really was.

Supercars need variety. British racing is better IMHO, although I don't watch it much.
    If anyone is interested.....

Cheers

15. The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

mandc (14-09-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

If anyone is interested.....

Cheers
    Crazy times back then.

After seeing the Verstappen/Hamilton crash at Monza in slo-mo with Verstappens rear tyre brushing Hamilton's helmet you can see just how far safety has progressed as back then that crash would have been 100% fatal.
    Instead Hamilton walks away unhurt.

I remember the bitching when the halos were introduced a few years ago but have since seen major injury/possible death averted a few times due to them.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I'm with enf, racing lost any interest for me when Bathurst went to Group-A. Never did get back into it after that. Prior to that, if there was a race on, I'd be glued to the Telly.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

gulliver (22-04-21),hinekadon (21-04-21),wotnot (21-04-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I'm with enf, racing lost any interest for me when Bathurst went to Group-A. Never did get back into it after that. Prior to that, if there was a race on, I'd be glued to the Telly.
    Albeit OT, we need remind ourselves this is no longer the case ~ now one has to pay for that privilege, so you can be glued to FoxTel on the teevee.

This'd be near the crux of it really -- as far as entertainment value goes, F1 (as a motorsport) has devolved to the point where it actually requires wet conditions (or some other adverse conditions) before one sees anything 'exciting'.

Personally speaking, (and for more than a decade now). I've been saying that if they want to get 'racing' back into F1, all they have to do if let them have another 300Kw...and take away 30% tyre tread width - then you'll see some driving =)

Also....I did see some Indy Car of last weekend, and I can't help but think that the 2022 F1 car rules & regs are headed for the same bit of tarmac.
    Last edited by wotnot; 21-04-21 at 12:25 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (21-04-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Agree with the above. Touring cars are now virtually unwatchable.

F1 is now my favoured race but some of the rules are bizzare. Hamilton being able to unlap himself then going on to get second screams unfairness to the others.

Not sure what Ricciardo's problem is. At first I thought it was the wet track giving him the heebies but when it dried his team mate Norris was still way better.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (21-04-21),Uncle Fester (21-04-21)

Thanks

I fully agree with the nutty rules that often don't even have much to do with safety.
    Removing the bureaucrats would vastly improve the sport.

It is possible to view F1 live for free, with a quick duckduckgo search, totalsportek and a bit of patience finding a working link.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 21-04-21 at 12:39 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (21-04-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

This vid I found interesting;

26. The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Johnno (02-06-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Interesting Vid wotnot, The way things are going with F1 they might end up replacing the driver with AI and therefor wouldn't need the Halo and all the safety features, cutting weight off the car.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:

wotnot (02-06-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    Interesting Vid wotnot, The way things are going with F1 they might end up replacing the driver with AI and therefor wouldn't need the Halo and all the safety features, cutting weight off the car.
    Chapman would turn in his grave, yes? =)

Perhaps a synergy between computer racing simulators and remote controlled F1 cars would work -- if it's left to AI, can you imagine the race call?..."And they're off!...Nvidia gets the holeshot off the line, followed closely by Apple with a side by side battle with Samsung. OpenAI has made a good start despite it's bad qualifying effect, with Google and Nuro hot in pursuit...and yet again, Microsoft bringing up the rear.."

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (02-06-21),Johnno (02-06-21)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Put a modern F1 driver in a car from early last century! Now that would be a race to watch!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks

FFS.....next, they'll be regulating what underwear the pitcrew wears...ie; no thongs =)

33. The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (29-06-21)

Thanks

I know F1 is dead here in Aus but I will be deviant and post that Ricciado just won Monza including fastest lap, leading almost all the way even when Hamilton and Verstappen were still in the race.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 13-09-21 at 01:33 AM.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (14-09-21),mandc (13-09-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Fluke =)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Fluke =)
    Take it whilst you can get it!