Thread: Yamaha RX-V590 Receiver

Thanks

Default Yamaha RX-V590 Receiver

My Yamaha RX-V590 Receiver has just developed a problem. When I turn it on it switches off after about 2 seconds. Looking on the internet it seems that this is a common problem with these amps but I cannot nail down the problem. With the speakers disconnected I have checked there is no short circuit causing it. I have even held up the mains relay but there is another relay on the main board that switches off as well. Anyone have any suggestions?

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,058 Posts

A DC offset on any channel will cause this.
    Also a repeated high volume overload causes a lock out. That requires a system reset.
    Cannot remember the sequence. Another more savvy member will know.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Well the service manual is easy to get once you pass the annoying recaptcha:

I doubt there is a single known solution for this 'common' problem.
    You got the schematics, so now you need to do the work and trace first all the power supply rails if any of the voltages are out of value or shorted.
    There is a self check mode, you can see if stays on, I doubt it but worth a try.

Otherwise you will need to work passively and check for shorts on those rails including low voltage ones.
    Usual stuff, filter caps, power transistors, bridge rectifiers which could also be (partly)open circuit.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 20-04-21 at 10:26 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (22-04-21),mtv (21-04-21),tristen (21-04-21)

Thanks

Thanks guys. I think it must be a leaky cap because if I leave it off for a while it takes longer for the thing to shut down. I might just have to junk it. It's a pity really because it is a good quality amp.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gungadin For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (22-04-21)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gungadin View Post
    Thanks guys. I think it must be a leaky cap because if I leave it off for a while it takes longer for the thing to shut down. I might just have to junk it. It's a pity really because it is a good quality amp.
    If it's a "really good quality amp" why don't you attempt to fix it?

If you lack the expertise, get it repaired by someone who knows what they are doing.

Just because we live in a so-called "throwaway society", does not mean that you have to be part of it!!!

Why not "donate" the unit to someone who will value it and not consign it to landfill?

Think outside the square.

Give it to a local radio/electronics club.

Advertise it on Gumtree or similar.

Don't take the "easy way out".

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

gungadin (21-04-21),hinekadon (22-04-21),mtv (21-04-21),Uncle Fester (21-04-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

There is a common fault where the receiver will switch off a couple of seconds after applying power. A cap in the power supply is usually the fault. Here is video of a similar fault in a yammy rx-v557.

Yours may not be exactly the same, but the fault is common to a lot of models.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

gungadin (21-04-21),hinekadon (22-04-21),mtv (21-04-21),tristen (21-04-21)

Thanks

Thanks all for your help on this. I have isolated the area where the fault is. When the speaker relay clicks in the +5V rail goes to +7.68V which then trips the mains relay out. I have been round and round that part of the circuit but can't track down the problem so I have taken tristan's idea on board and put it on gumtree.

Here is the link: