Thread: NBN Speeds on laptop

Thanks

Default NBN Speeds on laptop

Hello,

Just a internet question to some techos out there.

Previously I was connected to optus cable and use to get better than 100Mbps on OOKLA internet speed test. I am now connected to NBN with Optus (FTTC) and only signed up to 50 Mbps plan and now OOKLA speed test usually returns 52-55 Mbps.

Being on the slower speed gives no noticeable difference on everyday browsing, streaming, etc., which I am happy with. (My laptop is older ASUS f555LD and standard Optus supplied SAGEMON Modem/Router)

My Question is then, does the EQUIPMENT being used actually limit what how fast the actual visual responses are and not necessarily the OOKLA (ISP) shown speeds?

Thanks in advance,
    John

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

The maximum speed is being limited by your ISP.
    If you go to a faster plan your hardware may be a limiting factor.

Sent from my LE2120 using Tapatalk

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

jclerke (27-04-21)

Thanks

Thanks,

Any idea of what hardware limit would be on a 'average' laptop like mine mentioned in post??

Thanks again.
    John

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Probably the biggest factor is the location of the router, and the location of the lappy. How many walls and what kind of walls between the two. Also some wifi routers perform better than others. I changed from a Belkin F5D8636-4 to a Netgear Nighthawk X4S D7800 a while back, and the signal range and reliability was a lot better.

• The Following User Says Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

jclerke (01-05-21)

Thanks

Thanks,

I'm actually using an ethernet connection from modem to laptop when I do the speed tests so Wifi connex not an issue. I'm more interested in what the actual speeds are that the laptop hardware /software can handle or limit to.

Thanks Again - John

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

100mbps, unless you have a gigabit port on the modem and laptop.

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

jclerke (08-05-21)

Thanks

FTTC still uses the old phone cables, much of which is still in a poor state from when Telstra used to *cough* look after it. Typically I would suggest that any performance limitation would be with that cabling, rather than the hardware. The fact that you can achieve slightly over 50Mbps down indicates that yours is quite good and you'll likely get around 100Mpbs peak on a 100MBps plan. The theoretical maximum download/upload speeds for FTTC are 200/100Mbps, however it is capped at half of that.

Quote Originally Posted by jclerke View Post
    I'm actually using an ethernet connection from modem to laptop when I do the speed tests so Wifi connex not an issue. I'm more interested in what the actual speeds are that the laptop hardware /software can handle or limit to.
    The router and the laptop both will likely have gigabit ethernet ports in them, so theoretically they can handle 1000Mbps - far more than the FTTC connection will ever deliver. There are still a few limitations from there, such as the router's capability (it's entry level consumer grade equipment), the network adaptor configuration on the laptop (ie. in Windows) and also the storage devices you are transferring to/from. Let's assume the storage devices are SSD's or large mechanical drives - faster than the ethernet connection. Generally you'd expect to see somewhere between 700-900Mbps transfer speeds on between two devices on the LAN (so disregarding FTTC). With a bit of tweaking on the laptop you can get much closer to 1Gbps. If you add more devices to the router transferring data, the router is likely to reach it's buffer limit and all transfers will slow to a crawl. The remedy for this is to connect all of the local devices to a good quality switch and then connect the switch to the router. I'm a fan of HP Aruba switches (ie. 1420 or 1820 series for home use).

If it's an older laptop, there's a chance that it has a 2.5" mechanical hard drive. Many factors affect the speed of transfers on these to the point that it will be much slower than the network connection - such as the drive's spindle speed and total capacity, how full it is and how fragmented that data is (especially how fragmented the Master File Table is). Short answer is that if you have a mechanical drive, get rid of it and put an SSD in. All of those factors disappear.

• The Following User Says Thank You to CT4 For This Useful Post:

jclerke (14-05-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jclerke View Post
    Hello,

Just a internet question to some techos out there.

Previously I was connected to optus cable and use to get better than 100Mbps on OOKLA internet speed test. I am now connected to NBN with Optus (FTTC) and only signed up to 50 Mbps plan and now OOKLA speed test usually returns 52-55 Mbps.

Being on the slower speed gives no noticeable difference on everyday browsing, streaming, etc., which I am happy with. (My laptop is older ASUS f555LD and standard Optus supplied SAGEMON Modem/Router)

My Question is then, does the EQUIPMENT being used actually limit what how fast the actual visual responses are and not necessarily the OOKLA (ISP) shown speeds?

Thanks in advance,
    John
    What do you mean by visual responses? Are you talking about how fast a webpage full of images loads, or how laggy online game play will be? If so, then the bandwidth and traffic on the server hosting the webpage or game will have a big influence on that.

• The Following User Says Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

jclerke (14-05-21)