Thread: Issues Remote - UEC 4921 vast decoder

Thanks

Default Issues Remote - UEC 4921 vast decoder

Hi guys

I have hooked up my vast UEC 4921. It was working yesterday it was kind of locking up and freezing. So I did a hard reset. Now I have all available VAST channels scanned in no problem but now the decoder will not respond to the remote. I can’t change channels or anything now. I even put different batteries in it than the ones that came in the box. Is their any way I,could it in their. This is a new decoder that I purchased from eBay. Also is their a software update I could download at all? Is their anything I,could try.

Sorry about this as this is my first vast box.

Thanks

Loopy

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

How do you know you have all channels scanned in if you can't check them?

1. Can you change channels on the box (not with the remote)?

2. Did you register and activate the smartcard?

3. Did you re-activate the card after the reset?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    1. Did you register and activate the smartcard?

2. Did you re-activate the card after the reset?
    Hi MTV

Initially I the first time I signed up as a traveller I accidentally put the smart card no put into both the smartcard field at the top of the form as well as the smartcard serial no. at the bottom. Also then after finding that the decoder serial was different to the smartcard number I then reput it through with the correct fields late last night and this morning I received two emails. One said it had not gone through whilst the other said I was approved for travellers.

MTV I have not re-activated the card. Should I do this? If so can be done online? Also is this what you guys call the re-hit? Also if I re-activate the card I am afraid I will cause more problems. Also what I mean about hard reset I turned the power off and on.

Thanks again

Administrator
    Thanks

You didn't answer:
    Can you change channels on the box (not with the remote)?
    How do you know you have all channels scanned in if you can't check them?

Re-activate = re-hit.
    You can do it online.

You shouldn't need to re-activate the card, if all you did was turn the power off and back on, but it won't do any harm if you do.

What are your signal readings (strength and quality?)

Thanks

Normally (well for me anyway) registering or updating a travelers card does not always give you immediate access or pictures. I have at times used the phone self service option to rehit the card. Either way by default the info ch will then come up if the hit has worked. Especially on a new registration.

if the card is a virgin card, the box will not change chs either by the remote or front panel as the card needs a country code added to allow for the appropriate region to be allowed to be viewed.

If you go to the phone self help section you can confirm card status.

If you made an error with your first registration attempt and then redid it correctly this would not cause any issues as the activation system is automated and will only proccess if all fields are correct. The email response is your confirmation.

But as MTV suggested check to see if you can change the chs via the front panel. Also ensure the card is inserted the correct way. Though normally you would get an error message saying this.

check the front panel controls to see if you can access the menu system and change chs if that works then the remote may have actually failed.

To test the remote use your mobile phone camera and point the remote at the camera and press a button. You should see the infa red led flash on the camera screen
    Last edited by cmoore; 29-05-21 at 08:21 PM.

Thanks

I am receiving the channels as now I can navigate channels for my banquet. Yes when I registered I got a confirmation email so I am receiving channels as requested. I am doing this on the front of the box.

I tried a re hit online but that did not fix the remote issue. Yes I can see the light in the remote when pointed at the mobile. Does this mean the remote has failed or is it the decoder? Also when I reset the box by power it goes into a startup wizard and scans the channels. Also I have Foxtel downstairs on another tv and the satellite connection is fine. Could this make a difference? Also I had Foxtel on the connection where my VAST box is and it had 2 cables coming out of the wall plate. Would it matter which cable I use to connect the Altech.

Administrator
    Thanks

Was this a new decoder & remote, or used?

If the remote will not operate any of the functions, either it's a fault with the remote, or the box.

Does the RCU Standby Key light up Red or Green when a button is pressed?

Have you tried un-pairing and re-pairing the remote?

It sounds obvious, but make sure there is nothing blocking the signal path from the remote to the box, including removing any protective plastic film and you are pointing it from straight in front.

I wonder if you've been sent a replacement remote, as they will not work if the box has previously been used with an original remote, unless a factory reset has been performed.

I suggest following the factory reset instructions in the manual. It will not harm anything.

You can connect the VAST box to any of the Foxtel outlets.

Thanks

Yes this is a new box that I didn’t pick it up at Post office till a 10 days after I purchased it. I also read that I could do a software update from the UEC website. Would this make a difference at all. Also is their any way to reset back to box to factory defaults without the remote. Does anyone who uses the Altech know how to do this as the manual says that you can only do this via remote.

Also Mtv picture quality on some channels don’t look as sharp? Could this also be a factor also in terms of signal quality.

Administrator
    Thanks

If you can't get it to work, return it for a refund or replacement.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (31-05-21)

Thanks

I ended up getting a replacement remote. Mtv everything works fine but one thing is the info button does not open. So would you worry about that would you just live with it or you bother sending it the stb back or remote. Apart from that the box works fine.

Thanks Loppy

Thanks

I have had the pvr UEC for a while but now I have a new issue. When I play back recordings it kind of is a little glitchy like the picture cuts out and kind of skips. Also last week one of my recordings when I play it shows just a black screen. Is it a satellte issue in terms of quality of signal. Or is it the box. Is their anything I could try? Also I have performed a factory reset as well as format the usb on the stb.

Thanks again

Loppy

Thanks

If you need to test if the remote is lighting up. Just use your mobile phone in camera mode to see if the IR is sending data. If it is then the remote is most likely working. Depending on which 4921 decoder you have (there are some 8 revisions). go to menu > settings > system > software update, then update firmware if needed. this board has info on all the channels available to you for authorisation.
    As for the jerky pictures on playback be sure to use a "quality" USB drive or HDD (preferably USB 3) for superior performance.
    Hope this helps.

Administrator
    Thanks

Your recording issue is either poor signal causing dropouts at the time of recording, or data transfer to/from the HDD.

What device are you recording onto?

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Softek2 (16-09-21)

Thanks

Oops. forgot about the weak signal problems. thanks mtv

Thanks

Your recording issue is either poor signal causing dropouts at the time of recording, or data transfer to/from the HDD.

What device are you recording onto?
    I am recording to a 32 gigUSB thumb drive. Would this be the cause? Also I have Foxtel connected on another tv via satellite. Could this be causing signal issues MTV?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loppy View Post
    I am recording to a 32 gigUSB thumb drive. Would this be the cause? Also I have Foxtel connected on another tv via satellite. Could this be causing signal issues MTV?
    If there's sufficient signal, watching Foxtel on a different TV won't affect it at all.

If you can watch VAST channels live without signal loss, then your issue is with recording/playback, which is quite likely to be the USB stick you are using.

UEC have recommended drives to use with their VAST boxes.

Other HDD's work, as I've used a few different ones, but external HDD's with their own power supply seem to be the most reliable.

Thanks

If there's sufficient signal, watching Foxtel on a different TV won't affect it at all.

If you can watch VAST channels live without signal loss, then your issue is with recording/playback, which is quite likely to be the USB stick you are using.

UEC have recommended drives to use with their VAST boxes.

Other HDD's work, as I've used a few different ones, but external HDD's with their own power supply seem to be the most reliable.
    Hi again

I have purchased and delivered a Toshiba 1TB Canvio. Will this work? It doesn’t have an ac or is not powered via ac adapter. I haven’t tried it as yet. What do you think?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loppy View Post
    Hi again

I have purchased and delivered a Toshiba 1TB Canvio. Will this work? It doesn’t have an ac or is not powered via ac adapter. I haven’t tried it as yet. What do you think?
    It's on the list of supported hard drives, so it should.

Why even bother asking when you have the drive?

Will it work?... Not unless you plug it in! Just try it!