Thread: ...and yet another terrible government decision

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Default ...and yet another terrible government decision

I do not wish this to be merged with another thread on the matter as this is about dealing with the actual problem not whinging about some pathetic minority groups.

Not only will this get into the food chain including ours when we eat the fish(nobody is even thinking about water and soil) but also wipe out whole generations of birds who will eat the dead mice in droves.
    And people make a big fuss about a few cats catching a couple common Mynas.

There are alternatives that break down fast before the toxins can create great damage but whatever company lobbied our politicians and 'experts' got the upper hand without any consideration for common sense ...again.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 01-06-21 at 01:10 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (03-06-21),allover (04-06-21),ammlione (01-06-21),hinekadon (01-06-21),william10 (03-06-21)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

a quick "Google" search on bromadiolone - there is a study from California back in 2003 "rodenticides showed up in 79 percent of fishers (one fisher even transferred poisons to her kit via her milk), 78 percent of mountain lions, 84 percent of San Joaquin kit foxes, and, in San Diego County, 92 percent of raptors."

it is pretty nasty sheit, but typically someone who will gain selling this will be whispering in the ear of the right person.............
    有段者

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freakee1 For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (03-06-21),hinekadon (01-06-21),Uncle Fester (03-06-21),william10 (03-06-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

The APVMA is in someone's back pocket.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (03-06-21),hinekadon (01-06-21),Uncle Fester (03-06-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,905 Posts

Certainly sounds like very nasty shit
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I would hope that due consideration is given to the potential problems. The issue, of course, is, How to get rid of the mice without affecting the natural eco-system. Maybe the govt would be better "employing the unemployed and saying you want benefits, you catch mice, the more you catch, the more we pay you." Say 50c a mouse............ You don't want to go catch mice, that's fine, we don't want to pay you.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

What, you mean actually work for a benefit?

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

What Work for the dole never!!!!!! who thought of that ? commie bastard should be shot ! can we blame donald trump for the mouse plague ?He must have started it with BLM that stands for bloody lotsa mice

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    ..........................................The issue, of course, is, How to get rid of the mice without affecting the natural eco-system. ................................
    Jeeez...open your ears and eyes....PETA has the solution. Catch and release.....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (03-06-21),eaglem (04-06-21),Johnno (04-06-21),lsemmens (04-06-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Sometimes ya gotta shake ya head and wonder eh?

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (03-06-21),Johnno (04-06-21)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I would hope that due consideration is given to the potential problems. The issue, of course, is, How to get rid of the mice without affecting the natural eco-system. Maybe the govt would be better "employing the unemployed and saying you want benefits, you catch mice, the more you catch, the more we pay you." Say 50c a mouse............ You don't want to go catch mice, that's fine, we don't want to pay you.
    As this is my thread I hope it is OK that we go slightly sideways in view of your solution.
    Last year I went blueberry picking for free as the farmer couldn't get any overseas workers 'cause of Covid and no Aussie would lower themselves to pick his fruit, work for the dole totally hopeless.
    I had great fun. I quickly figured out a trick by rolling off the ripe ones lightly with one hand in clusters (rather pick one by one) and let them fall in a large bucket I held underneath that caught over 90% of them. That way I ended up with at least 30kg of blue berries in about 2 hours.
    Considering the pickers got $10/kg that would have been a quick $300 earned but I could keep them instead. They would have just rotted on the bushes, as said the Farmer could get no pickers. I wanted to show the farmer my method but he wasn't even there and the others who where also invited told me not to.

My wife told me on the farm where she grew up they dug holes filled with water and covered them with flaps that had some food bait on top that flipped when the mouse/rat walked on it and the vermin fell in the water and drowned because the lid would close again.

Unfortunately it would be just too hard to get the unemployed in this non-can-do country to dig in buckets with these flipping lids along the infested areas.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 03-06-21 at 07:23 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (04-06-21),Johnno (04-06-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

I reckon they should get the old age pensioners to do it. Give them something productive to do for a change.

• The Following User Says Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

enf (04-06-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    I reckon they should get the old age pensioners to do it. Give them something productive to do for a change.
    Great idea...lets see...on good days when my back and f*cked knee aren't TOO painful and the painkillers work, if I pick at my maximum rate at $10 a kilo, I could maybe make....Oh, I dunno....maybe $10. Then of course there's the cost of the painkillers....hmmmmmm sounds like a plan.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (04-06-21),lsemmens (04-06-21),Uncle Fester (04-06-21)

Thanks

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (04-06-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    That's the cost isn't it, assuming that any figures are actually true.

How many birds have been killed by giant state sponsored windmills? Ask the ABC, I'm sure they'll be happy to find out.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (04-06-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    That's the cost isn't it, assuming that any figures are actually true.

How many birds have been killed by giant state sponsored windmills? Ask the ABC, I'm sure they'll be happy to find out.

Oh dear.. here we go again, you and your Trump wisdom.
    Read the facts:

The ABC mentions 100 dead Galahs found around a single cemetery alone and in a very short period of time!

I have lived near a windTURBINE for a few years in the 1990's(Germany) and drove daily quite close past it and never saw a single dead bird around it.

I have however personally experienced birds crashing into windows, hit by cars and yes my former cat who was still allowed outside had caught at least 3 common minors and one budgie that escaped from a neighbours cage that I could still retrieve relatively unharmed and bring back to it's thankful owner.

You "windmill" and renewable energy haters should really get your facts straight, but I guess that will never happen.
    God bless Abbott and Hockey, eh

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

gulliver (06-06-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Oh dear.. here we go again, you and your Trump wisdom.
    Read the facts:

The ABC mentions 100 dead Galahs found around a single cemetery alone and in a very short period of time!

I have lived near a windTURBINE for a few years in the 1990's(Germany) and drove daily quite close past it and never saw a single dead bird around it.

I have however personally experienced birds crashing into windows, hit by cars and yes my former cat who was still allowed outside had caught at least 3 common minors and one budgie that escaped from a neighbours cage that I could still retrieve relatively unharmed and bring back to it's thankful owner.

You "windmill" and renewable energy haters should really get your facts straight, but I guess that will never happen.
    God bless Abbott and Hockey, eh
    What the? Where F*CK did Trump come from?

You really have a semi deranged obsessive complex at times mate, you truly do......

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (06-06-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

in my case i am productive in staying alive

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Not only will this get into the food chain including ours when we eat the fish(nobody is even thinking about water and soil) but also wipe out whole generations of birds who will eat the dead mice in droves.
    So as an example of how I approach posts which I'm not sure about. This is a good example. I might be a bit primed to spot green bullshit, but I also come in reasonably impartial.

So the first place to start for me with any chemical is a picture of the chemical structure as there are some familiar patterns that are good or bad.
    This one lit op the part of my chemistry brain that said, "Oh, the liver is going to love trying to metabolize this one."
    But a lot of the time patterns are just unfamiliar. So the MSDS sheet is always the first port of call.
    And this one is a ripper.

You only have to see the pictograms and the grim reaper is handing this shit out as candy. Nasty shit.

So the toxicity is high, what about the half life of the chemical in the environment. A few weeks to months, this doesn't see to bad at first but when it gets into water, hmmm it will last over a year. This one is not my first choice vanquishing the vermin.
    It's also accumulative to predators so that's another red cross.

The good news is that toxicity is proportional to body mass. So predators have to eat a proportional amount of poisoned animals to accumulate the same toxicity.
    A 1kg hawk would have to eat 20 times more poison than a 50g mouse.
    The MSDS sheet looked familiar and I checked empty packet of baits, and it was this toxin.

You wouldn't use this poison anywhere near water. The best way I have used it is to put it under sheets of corrugated iron and it vanishes overnight.
    The mice of course don't run away when the sheets are lifted two days later.

So I'm of two minds here. It's an effective poison but it does need to be deployed correctly to have maximum effect and minimum impact.
    I'm not seeing any conspiracy with the choice of bait but the concerns of anglers are valid. I think it's a simple case of ignorance and not malice. (politicians just aren't that smart)
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

allover (06-06-21),eaglem (06-06-21),hinekadon (06-06-21),Uncle Fester (09-06-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

I can see why it is being used but bromadiolone is nasty shit. It destroys vitamin K1, an essential clotting factor, so you bleed internally to death.

Warfarin, the first generation of ratsack was easy to treat if poisoning occured as a bit of K1 supplement was all you needed. Of course the rats/mice soon became tolerant to it so this next gen stuff came along that lasts much much longer and requires weeks of intensive K1 therapy to survive it.

Rodents have low levels of K1 to start with so it's particularly deadly to them but if enough is ingested, it will devastate any other animal that gets enough of it.

As I said, there is not a quick antidote to treat an affected animal and they will die unless given weeks of treatment.

Spread around willy nilly bromadiolone will be a bloody (no pun intended) disaster unless it is used safely secured in a way that only rodents can get it.
    Last edited by mandc; 06-06-21 at 10:55 AM.

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

eaglem (08-06-21),enf (06-06-21),Guiseppe (07-06-21),gulliver (06-06-21),hinekadon (06-06-21),Uncle Fester (09-06-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Bromadioline is used because it is body mass dependent. Your dog, cat or wildlife are not likely to die too if they eat a poisoned mouse or rat.
    You answered your own question, Rodents have low levels of vit.K1 so very small amounts can kill these animals while larger animals in the food chain can cope with the small second hand exposures.
    Given that it is already one of the most common pesticides used in rural Australia and you haven't heard of any large fish kills from it (yet) that might suggest that this issue is being blown out of proportion and is already being used correctly.

So the real issue from the original article is that it will effect fish. This is primarily from over use of the pesticide.
    I would think the solution here is not too hard. Education. Make people who use the baits aware of how to use them correctly like bait stations and the detrimental effect if it gets into waterways. I suspect like me, they already do. The stuff is bloody well sold out I have to resort to peanut butter, with they love. It's slightly toxic to them too, but they drown long before that happens
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

eaglem (08-06-21)

• 13-06-21, 04:12 AM