Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Dodgy Installations !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    I'm starting to agree with Sanity - who in their right mind would pay some braindead "alarm technician" to install thousands of dollars worth of "security" equipment when the watchdogs are obviously asleep and nobody adheres to the questionable standards.
    I think I'll buy a rottweiller.
    This whole industry is a joke.

Go troll elsewhere loser !

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noRbackwards View Post
    So lets get away from the bad installs and show some neat ones as that should put the bad ones to shame.
    But this then shows people the lower stds and some installers may visit this site and take note of their dodgey work.

It doesn't really hurt to show the crap jobs as well, so others coming intot eh industry can also see what NOT to do, surely.

Thanks

a lot of domestics i see lately all have the panel in the garage wtih the pir on a 60 sec entry delay, i mention how pointless the alarm becomes but hey no one really gives a shit

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ya_mums_bum69 View Post
    a lot of domestics i see lately all have the panel in the garage wtih the pir on a 60 sec entry delay, i mention how pointless the alarm becomes but hey no one really gives a shit
    tell me about it...

Thanks

Or the keypad mounted on the panel lid.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone View Post
    Or the keypad mounted on the panel lid.
    With long screws that dig into the battery when you close the lid, with of course the internal sounder mounted on top of the panel and if you are lucky a detector mounted directly above the panel. That is security for some people that call themself alarm technicians. No wonder that the techs that take some pride in their work get pissed of with the STI's dragging this industry into the gutter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ya_mums_bum69 View Post
    We had a consultant spec this for 80 units recently had to use 120secs delay due to slow roller door.
    Notice submited with quotation with relevant clauses quoted and request to relocate.
    Followed by letter to builder and still refused to let us move them .
    Oh and the Starserve phone box beside panel as well.

Was a big shit fight when we gave every client a letter of non-compliance with user manual. But I wasn't going to take the blame if a breakin happened.

Probably wont get anymore work out of that builder but that's life.

Thanks

a lot of places i've worked recently i've seen poor workmanship from a lot of different trades. In my opinion it stems from a skills shortage, there's a lot of people out there that wouldn't have jobs if it wasn't for companys employing anyone who knows what a hammer is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Privatteer View Post
    had to use 120secs delay due to slow roller door.
    That's all good, they'll come back and want it fixed when some junkie shows them exactly what can be stolen from a garage in 60 seconds.

Thanks

Default dodgy install

How long ago ?
    DL panels haven't been around for years. By the way how much spam on that website, Photobucket is a good site for pics.
    2 years
    Replace with a tecom below the ceiling.

Thanks

Job I attended yesterday, was originally a Checkpoint system, then changed to Concept, then changed again to C-Cure. But, the original Checkpoint system and Concept systems were still there powered up with nothing on them, all the cables were joined in the old boxes and extended to another location where the C-Cure controllers were, talk about cable tracing, not one cable was marked right just a birds nest of cables in old controller boxes.

None of the boards you see are used, except as terminal blocks for the joins.

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by noRbackwards View Post
    Having looked at all the post and even read most of them the problem comes back to correct training and on how qualified the so called instructors are.

I have seen TAFE instructors that had no real alarm installation experience training the new bread of alarm installers. Everybody seems to know better and yet most are all self taught with basically no technical background and then they turn these people into instructors.

As a service technician you have to adapt to all the STI's as there is not one single standard for installing any Security Equipment and there will never be one standard as there are hundreds of installers that all taught themselfs and they are all correct. Pity as over 75% of them are just dreaming.

So realy over 75% of alarm installs I have sighted are all bad installs and I have hundreds of pictures to back up any of my statements starting back to 1984 when the influx of STI's commenced and after 25 years I have enough ammo to show the bad and yes the good work I have sighted.

This industry has itself to blame for all the bad installs that we see as most installers never ever sighted any relevant standards and never read manufacturer's instructions as they all seem to know better

So lets get away from the bad installs and show some neat ones as that should put the bad ones to shame.
    Agree completely - it's ALL about training. Employers DON'T train anyone anymore, you go to some private trainer, pay your $1500 & get a piece of paper that says you are an ace technician. It means nothing. I spent 25 yrs in Telecom/ Telstra. It used to be that you would get a training course on something or other about 4 times a year. Now they hire "yes" men and give them three weeks training & they get to be a "communications officer". Look back to the seventees. There was BHP , NSW railways, DCA, Telecom, State Dockyard, OTC & a host of others that would employ you & train you for 4 yrs or so. You came out knowing the trade whatever it might have been. Not now - a three week course & you are an expert. Now the gov't & employers are complaining about a skills shortage , all I can say is you reap what you sow.

Thanks

Even the Defence Force has gone this way... when I was in they said that I couldn't do this course or that course because "it will make you to attractive to civilian employers".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Muviman View Post
    Even the Defence Force has gone this way... when I was in they said that I couldn't do this course or that course because "it will make you to attractive to civilian employers".
    A mate of mine is doing electrical in the Navy but apparently his qualifications are done in a way so its not recognised outside the Navy, their not stupid.

Thanks

A mate of mine is doing electrical in the Navy but apparently his qualifications are done in a way so its not recognised outside the Navy, their not stupid.
    That's weird, especially when the bang on about how the trades are nationally recognised.

Thanks

I came across this install today.
    Pics taken in low light as in cupboard.

Battery doesn't fit in box so sit it on top of the comms rack

And inside abit of a mess!

Tamper not connected

Thanks

Don't you love the Jack-In-The-Box cables in the panel lol!

Thanks

haha lets see you fit all them back in there in one go.

Thanks

Heh N1 ... but I think I can beat that. Found this one last week. Have booked them in for a tiday up in the school holidays.

And

Its kind of hard to see but there are bare tails and resistors sticking out all over the place

Thanks

Bloody hell !

There can be zero concept of pride in that fella's work - it's a bloody rat's nest.

• Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast