Thread: Wi-Fi connection to mail/parcel box

Thanks

Lightbulb Wi-Fi connection to mail/parcel box

Not sure if this is the right place to post this?

Just installed a new mail/parcel box and would like to fit something that will notify me when mail arrives etc.

Here is the mail/parcel box

I have a new Chuango Wi-Fi alarm H-4 Lite hub as my old Chuango control panel stopped working due to Optus not supporting 3G in my area (or so I was told)

I have ordered a Chuango Wi-Fi Vibration detector which has three sensitive settings to play with and will connect to my alarm as a 24 hour zone giving me a SMS alert when vibration is detected, I hope or at least that is the plan!

Thinking about fixing the vibration sensor inside the box, when the postie opens the mail door or drops a letter in the slot, the vibration may trigger the sensor and I will get an alert??

I am told by the retailer that the sensor is very sensitive and that passing trucks may trigger it, I will wait and see on that.

My concern is about the sensor being in a 16 gauge steel box, if the wi-fi signal is blocked or too weak I will need to modify the antenna on the sensor, extending it to outside the box.

Here is a photo of the sensor, the antenna appears to be the spring thing.

Any suggestions on the best way to modify/replace the antenna and install one on the outside of the mail/parcel box please?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to oldsalt For This Useful Post:

gordonwh40 (26-07-21)

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

just use a wire as your trigger . pivot on one end small weight / sinker and across the letter slot hanging from the top of the box and a ring around the wire as the trigger to ground switch . you can buy handheld ham antennas for your aerial "nagoya na771" for about 10 bucks or less just order the one so you have the right rf connector, ie sma or bnc . easily installed on the box up in the air and fairly inconspicuous on the front edge of the box should get about 30 meters with it

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

oldsalt (18-06-21)

Thanks

All sorted for those who may be interested.

Bought this, installed a motion detector in the box and there is no issues with the singal going through the 16g steel, brick front and into the lounge where the hub receives it.

Works every time I get a letter and or parcel.

Not that expensive for what it is.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldsalt For This Useful Post:

gordonwh40 (26-07-21),mkhannah (25-07-21)

• 10-08-21, 12:05 AM