Thread: Record player strobe fault

Thanks

Strobe disc

2. The Following User Says Thank You to coalminer For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (19-06-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coalminer View Post
    why not buy a strobe disc and use your home lighting
    Don't need that. The markings are already on the platter.
    I can see the marks strobing under fluro lights although it's a bit blurry, but that's a bit inconvenient since we only have fluros in the shed and bathroom.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coalminer View Post
    Strobe disc
    Holy moly that's a bit pricey for a bit of cardboard.

Thanks

So my options are to keep the unit and make a strobe for it.
    or, get rid of it and pull out my Pioneer PL-S50 and stick a pre amp on it.
    I'm already very familiar with Audacity, I've been using it for a long time.
    Trouble is, the Pioneer has a bum stylus and a new one isn't cheap. It's a 5mc.
    Last edited by loopyloo; 19-06-21 at 11:42 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loopyloo For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (20-06-21),wotnot (20-06-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loopyloo View Post
    or, get rid of it and pull out my ; they're better quality and stick a pre amp on it.
    Now you're thinking, and playing into your skillset. Get your money back, now - you can spend it on a new stylus =)

Yes, a good stylus is expensive - most of the time that's the point (no pun =) - they're better quality. Bit of a rock and tight spot, although I suppose you could change cartridge assembly to something as good as the 5mc, but with lower replacement stylus cost.

Be kindly warned, and I've mentioned it before here...the time, effort, and all else involved with getting one's vinyl record collection, transmogrified into digital audio files, got very old very quickly for me...I used the word arduous, and that likely understates it ; you have to make sure the turntable's setup somewhere, where the sound of elephant footed teenagers thumps don't turn up in the recording, and the bastard Murphy always seems to hang around this process, ready to manifest his law....and it all has to happen in realtime, and you still have to turn the record over, you wish you had a dust free environment, you wish you had've noticed that spek lodged in a groove of side 1, track 4..at the time of recording, to avoid having to go back and rerecord that bit sans the spek...and if you're not going to keep the sound files, 2 of them..A side, B side...and want to cut them into individual tracks/songs, get all the mp3 IDtag data filled in if you want, blablabla....but I encourage you to do it, because then you'll understand exactly what I'm yammering on about =) Hint: pick the vinyl you most want to digitize, and do it first.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (20-06-21),loopyloo (20-06-21),Uncle Fester (20-06-21)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Junk doesn't quite say it ~ I'll go with 'plastic rubbish covered in thick layers of advertising BS' ...ie; description says for cartridge/stylus type -- "Audio Technica 3600L Ruby Stylus" ...sounds impressive, now let me say it in words, that are worthy of a technical forum such as this..."Uses the cheapest, most generic cartridge known to man, that every cheap manufacturers uses, and the conical ruby stylus is the poor man's choice" In all fact, I'm not even sure Audio Technica exists anymore ...like TEAC and others, they exists in name only, and are no longer the company famed for audio innovation and quality decades ago.

Save your money, get your refund, hunt around for a 2ndhand turntable that's at least 'decent' and dedicated to it's purpose (playing vinyl records), if you want the best dynamic signal range use an elliptical diamond stylus not a conical ruby type, buy yourself a cheap RIAA pre-amp and digitize the output of that.

Audio Technica still exists and continue to make excellent products.
    I use and swear by their cartridge and IMO better than my Denon original cartridges that cost almost twice as much these days.
    Noise floor is noticeably quieter on old records as it sits deeper in the groove, the somewhat emphasised high end helps my hearing loss of 7kHz and above.

One major problem I have playing my old records that I haven't listened to for years is tar from smoking.
    In the 1970/80's nobody told us that it was unhealthy to smoke, so we all did.
    I was often too lazy to close the lid on my turn tables(would also create feedback with my folded exponential bass cabinet) and much later I found out just how unhealthy smoking is (for your records).
    The Denon needle collects a 'huge' gunk of tar sometimes after only 2 tracks which lifts the needle up out of the groove and the gunk is hard to remove.
    The narrow needle of the AT440MLB seems to cut right through the tar and plays the whole record fine.

Those cardboard strobe disks that you could place on the turntable never worked for me under incandescent light bulbs, only under fluoro tubes.

Many times have I seen the stobe markings on the side of cheap platters 'dance' back and forth with each revolution.

Keep in mind with second hand that you are likely to get a stuffed stylus, the replacement can exceed the cost of the turntable.
    A damaged needle destroys your vinyls permanently.
    I gently slide my clean smooth fingernail under the needle in the direction it is exposed to the groove of the record. If you see any markings on your fingernail it will also grind up your records and must be discarded.
    You can not damage the diamond with your fingernail but bend and damage the tube that holds the diamond, so this must be done with extreme care, skill and in the right direction, so the seller may not want to see you do that.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 20-06-21 at 01:48 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (20-06-21)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loopyloo View Post
    or, get rid of it and pull out my Pioneer PL-S50 and stick a pre amp on it.
    Maybe you could find a newer reasonable quality cartridge that fits in it, you got $269 if you get refunded.
    ...or try a bid here:
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 20-06-21 at 01:16 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (20-06-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,510 Posts

Audio Technica still exists and continue to make excellent products.
    Apparently, but seems their manufacturing has moved from Japan to China (which offers up a weird dichotomy considering they brag about being the official microphone provider for US presidential debates =)

And of course, having moved their manufacturing base, they've also become target of fakes & knockoffs.

Another thing I just noticed, is the recommended tracking force for the 3600L cartridge, is a whopping 3.5grams!! No way would I put that cutting tool near my vinyl, curdles my blood.

As for Pfanstiehl styli -->>

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (20-06-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post

Another thing I just noticed, is the recommended tracking force for the 3600L cartridge, is a whopping 3.5grams!! No way would I put that cutting tool near my vinyl, curdles my blood.
    Nah , the manual says to set it to 2. I have read the recommended is between 1.7 and 2.

Interesting to note, my Pioneer PL-340 uses the same 3600L cartridge.
    Last edited by loopyloo; 21-06-21 at 12:40 PM.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12