Thread: Foxtel IQ5 Satellite and Internet and FTA STB

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Default Foxtel IQ5 Satellite and Internet and FTA STB

Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

mtv (19-06-21),Supermega (19-06-21),Tiny (21-06-21),william10 (20-06-21)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Just a different method of delivering extremely overpriced content.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

hazman (20-06-21),hinekadon (19-06-21),OSIRUS (20-06-21),william10 (20-06-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Just a different method of delivering extremely overpriced content.
    very true ..... their pricing is finding it hard to compete with the likes of Netflix Apple or Amazon etc ... at the moment

I have also noticed Foxtel are not replacing SD STB's any more with another SD Similar STB .... at the moment they are only giving out an IQ3 or IQ4 I think (not know about the Mystar HD STB)

Maybe hoping to do away with SD broadcasting at some point in the future ? ..... however I hear there are still a lot of SD "Standard" STB's still in circulation (& I still have two Standard STB's still working myself)

They may also be hoping to do away with the Satellite delivery at some point in the future ? .... especially if Starlink works out and delivers very fast "reliable" internet to remote areas in the future ....

Still it could save on Installation costs if satellite equipment may not have to be installed at every installation

The IQ5 looks to be a very small STB, makes you wonder if it has a good size Hard Drive included in it or not ? (which it could .... SSD's are getting very small now) or will they have an online recording feature ?

Hopefully the iQ5 STB is a fast responsive STB .... the Foxtel Now STB is a little slow

The main new feature looks to be that it will have all of Foxtel live channels and Foxtel Store etc available though the internet .... Maybe a software update to the iQ3 and iQ4 may make this feature available on these STB's too ... (I don't know)

I also hope that the iQ5 will still be able to substitute the Satellite ("Sydney" FTA channels) in the channel position if you do not have a FTA antenna connected ?

we will have to see more about it when it is released ....
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum