Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windows 11

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post

LOL..... yep, feels secure to me... NOT =)
    Interesting article.

What it shows is that if somebody wants to get into your hardware/network badly enough to be considering soldering leads to a chip on the motherboard of a laptop (and too know how to actually do so) then it doesn’t matter what you run - they will find a way to get in.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (07-08-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Until that moment, one of the so called benefits, was that someone could have their win11 laptop stolen, and nobody would be able to access the drive/machine without user password...or in a harder environment, the passcode that unlocks the bios to enable boot from media, and there's other proprietary software locking widgets out there, but they don't talk about that....but then like you say, soldering iron & wires, there you go...TPM offers little benefit when you can mount a hands on attack =) Who would do this, go to such lengths?....oh, I can imagine a few scenarios, depends on what's on the device, or who the device belongs to ..

IMHO, I think even windows user can agree, there's far more important and pressing issues with windows itself that need addressing (and have done for decades), than worrying about these sorts of features, which most folks don't use anyhow ; business/corporate would be a different sandpit, but just your average, normal user couldn't give a tinker's cuss about TPM devices. We'll see what happens when it's officially released -- I reckon if you looked hard enough, you'd find some online betting agency making odds on how many hours after win11 is released, will it take for for someone to release a win11 TPM + everything else bypass patch =^)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (07-08-21)

Thanks

They always come with a way for computer user to make money but this time it wont work,i have do some search on windows 11 .i seeing mixed reaction.there is a way around tpm
    Leaving honest comments gives others a good idea .

HIT BUTTON YES THE THANKS ONE

Thanks

their will be versions floating around for sure

Microsoft infused Windows 11 with an onerous new requirement that blocks any system without Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 tech from installing the new operating system, but it turns out the company will allow some systems to ship without the feature enabled. Unfortunately, normal users probably won't have access to the installation ISOs or workaround used for those builds, though it's conceivable that we could see them leak to the public. Instead, these special builds are likely tailored for use in countries that don't use Western encryption technologies, like China and Russia.

Thanks

They are selling tpm for almost 100 us .i have seen them on ebay .it depends on the type of motherboard you have
    Leaving honest comments gives others a good idea .

HIT BUTTON YES THE THANKS ONE

• The Following User Says Thank You to source For This Useful Post:

wotnot (11-08-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by source View Post
    They are selling tpm for almost 100 us .i have seen them on ebay .it depends on the type of motherboard you have
    I can't help but feel a lot of folks are going to get burnt with the (currently proposed) win11 requirements ~ it's not as though M$ has even finalized the requirements for win11, and I guess ppl are going out and buying TPM modules and more recent CPUs in preparation ; it's a bit cart before the horse for mine =)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (11-08-21)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    I can't help but feel a lot of folks are going to get burnt with the (currently proposed) win11 requirements ~ it's not as though M$ has even finalized the requirements for win11, and I guess ppl are going out and buying TPM modules and more recent CPUs in preparation ; it's a bit cart before the horse for mine =)
    Today I got an email from Parallels telling me their version 17 is out that emulates the TPM 2.0(on a Mac) so it runs Win11.
    But they want AU$70 for the update which is a bit rich because I just recently paid $135 for their former version 16.5.

Like you say, I think I will wait and see too.

I was all excited when I got the M1 to see Windows running on it but it turns out I am hardly using any of my Windows applications anyhow. I just wanted to see them working in case I need them one day.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

wotnot (11-08-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Like you say, I think I will wait and see too.

I was all excited when I got the M1 to see Windows running on it but it turns out I am hardly using any of my Windows applications anyhow. I just wanted to see them working in case I need them one day.

I don't use windows myself, but I sure have worked on literally 100s of units installed with it. Might be interesting for me to see win11 running in a VM, just to keep touch on what many computer users complain about =)

What I do find curious, is the M$ deployment strategy of 'you have 30days to decide whether or not to keep win11 or roll back to win10' ....??....I'm not sure what to make of that, but it doesn't exactly bark out confidence in their own product's acceptance by users...strange.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Haha, gotta luv M$ ...watch the first minute (although the piece further into the vid about the bitcoin mining company getting back their 485,000 video cards ...four hundred and eighty five thousand GPUs...can you imagine the power requirements? =)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Finally opened my insider Windows 10 on my Mac M1 yesterday and a time bomb message told me I need to do something if I still wanted to use Windows.

Update failed as there is no update for W10 (at least not available for me on insider) and it bitched at me because I have no TPM whatsoever.
    Tried all the registry hacks and others to no avail.
    Then I stumbled on this on github that has a very interesting script called "Skip_TPM_Check_on Dynamic_Update_2.cmd" inside a folder called MCT.

Just double clicked it, then powershell did it's thing and immediately afterwards W11 Pro insider on arm64 would download, install including the Parallels tools and a mere 20 minutes later with out a single mouse click from my side I was staring at a new Windows with all my apps and my jaw hanging half down.

I have never, EVER in my 30 years of Windows experience frustration seen something happen like that. I thought I must have mistakenly installed Linux.
    Tested my funky apps with complicated external hardware access through the M1 chip AND THEY ALL WORK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I really like the smooth clean 'new' look and feel, not all this confusing blocky shyte from W10 and even most settings remained the same, nothing that annoyed me or looks like M$ wants to bypass my privacy settings yet.
    Astonished to see there a Wikipedia App, now how did they know I would like that, as other than updates of my choosing I don't go online with Windows.

And best of all I am using my old Parallels desktop without having to pay $70 to get an emulated TPM.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 19-10-21 at 02:55 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (19-10-21)

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123