Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 11

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Default Windows 11

It s coming next week, they say:

- Why am I even starting this thread as some of you know that I am not a fan of Windows?

Well I like computers and I always hope Microsoft does better.
    Nah, the truth is I am actually on the MS insider program and just noticed this.

- But isn't their insider program only for Windows fans?

No I am not a fan, it is a necessity for me. I am using Windows 10 ARM64, which like W11 is not officially available yet.

- Who uses Windows 10 ARM64 ?

Nut cases like me who always want the impossible, in this case running Windows 10 on Apple's M1 chip!
    After some whinging on their forum and an arrogant remark from a M$ moderator they actually got Dotnet 3.5 on ARM64 working with their latest update.
    So I am actually controlling 20 year old hardware cards using ancient Windows software on the latest and greatest M1 chip which WILL wipe out Intel.

I think MicroSoft is becoming a bit desperate and doing some catch up with Apple.
    A somewhat Mac like desktop and round corners, LOL, but the integration of Android apps in Windows11 definitely looks a lot like an answer to Apple's iOS apps on the M1 Mac, which incidentally do not work yet.
    But just like Apple's Rosetta 2, Microsoft seems to be desperate to get Intel coded PC apps to work on ARM64 CPUs, hence the surprising consequence of my(and other's) wish for .net3.5

Anyhow as a Mac user I do like the first impressions of W11.
    I always hated those ugly sharp edged rectangles
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 26-06-21 at 07:15 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (28-06-21),tristen (28-06-21)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Just a clip to explain the M1 as mentioned above
    Last edited by allover; 27-06-21 at 12:30 PM.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (27-06-21)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

I got the M1 Mac Mini for a little over A$800 on an Ebay deal, so less than an average quality Graphics card and it is the most powerful PC I ever owned.
    MacOS, Windows10 and Ubuntu all running at the same time like they are native. 4K graphic games even on the virtual Windows run good enough for me and the best thing no fan noise driving me nuts. There is a fan but the only way I noticed it was a tiny bit of cold air while plugging some USB cables.

This is the only PC I want to use from now on, for EVERYTHING, hence my interest for Windows11 which I expect will be eventually released in ARM if M$ doesn't want to miss out on this quantum leap.

I think Lenovo has a laptop with ARM cpu in attempt to compete with Apple M1.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Johnno (28-06-21),lsemmens (28-06-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Bugs aside, this guy on the video is a bit ignorant how this stuff works.
    I am on the insider channel and M$ has no clue who I am, just use an anonymous mail.com to sign up, no other questions asked and I get a free OS with the latest features for as long as I want, well yes I need to update(via VPN) every 6 months before the time bomb but this is the only way to get what I need.
    Otherwise I am never online and I am not required to do so.

OMFG identifying users by their screen resolution, don't know what he is smoking ... and I thought I was paranoid
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 28-06-21 at 06:40 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

insider preview tells my computer not up to scratch for WIN11it is 8yr old so another rebuild the cost is just over double what it cost for the last on for mb.cpu.fan ram

Premium Member
    Thanks

Win10 is still supported until 2025 -- my question is how many ppl will need/want win11 so bad, they end up buying new hardware ... maybe making a 2ndhand parts glut (not that I run windows, but this current hardware of mine is circa 2016..

I'd say if timing were everything, this is a really expensive time to buy latest and greatest hardware....but then, M$ have never really been good with timing =)

I wonder if they'll find the balls to release windows13 =)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (29-06-21)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Mybe in 4 years I might have something that will handle W11 only 'cause of the few bits and pieces that I do have that require Whingers to program, otherwise, I could care less.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post

Win10 is still supported until 2025 -- my question is how many ppl will need/want win11 so bad, they end up buying new hardware ... maybe making a 2ndhand parts glut (not that I run windows, but this current hardware of mine is circa 2016..

I'd say if timing were everything, this is a really expensive time to buy latest and greatest hardware....but then, M$ have never really been good with timing =)

I wonder if they'll find the balls to release windows13 =)
    to keep win10 it says you need to do a fresh install it gives you the link to d/l it which for would be a pain in the rear having to set it up again

Thanks

Well that is disappointing development

Here a bit more dramatically explained, not just the TFM issue:

M$ just handed Linux and Apple a huge opportunity

Apple's latest OS (version 11, strange coincidence) can still run on hardware 7-8 years old and the latest Ubuntu... well if it can run XP you should be fine.

Also I wonder what M$ wants to do if they want to sell new puters to China and Russia, who AFAIK are NOT allowed to encrypt anything so their mobos don't have a TFM.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 29-06-21 at 12:39 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

win 11 d/l came up on the preview d/l to 8% then it checks the computer and a box pops up saying you cannot run it

• The Following User Says Thank You to dai For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (29-06-21)

Thanks

Think I will now just have to wait until they come out with a W11 ARM64 version, all my other hardware is over 3 years old.

I have a gut feeling that they will, maybe W10 in ARM64 might not even be officially released and they will go straight to 11.
    Hmmm.... something about that Apple look and those round edges, running mobile Apps, version 11 ...am I being crazy

Premium Member
    Thanks

mine needs TPM 2 module and lack of it is the reason for blocking the install the scalpers have been busy buying the supplies of them and are trying resell at 10 times the price i hope they get caught with them i have ordered one from Sydney but they expect resupply will be 3 weeks but at least they are at the correct price

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dai View Post
    mine needs TPM 2 module and lack of it is the reason for blocking the install the scalpers have been busy buying the supplies of them and are trying resell at 10 times the price i hope they get caught with them i have ordered one from Sydney but they expect resupply will be 3 weeks but at least they are at the correct price
    If your pc doesn't have a module, it's probably not going to run w11 too well as the specs won't be that great....

My Dell notebook passed straight away but I had to enable tpm in the bios on the beelink gt250 office pc....

Sent from my LE2120 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hoe; 29-06-21 at 04:19 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    If your pc doesn't have a module, it's probably not going to run w11 too well as the specs won't be that great....

My Dell notebook passed straight away but I had to enable tpm in the bios on the beelink gt250 office pc....

Sent from my LE2120 using Tapatalk
    it is not going to run it at all without it my computer sounds like the grandfather of your laptop

Premium Member
    Thanks

it is not going to run it at all without it my computer sounds like the grandfather of your laptop
    I wouldn't fret it too much at this point ~ official public release date is October sometime ~ the 'windows insider' program is akin to a (free) M$ guinea pig program. By the time they collate all the feedback over the next 3months or so, they are very likely to revamp and/or revise OS specifics (and software components) so they can avoid a shitshow in the media from a possible world of disgruntled users.

I would say, take a leaf out of M$'s playbook, and treat all other users of windows as your own guinea-pig squad ; ie; win10 is still supported until 2025, ergo wait until the official release of win11, then give it another 3months for all the user complaints and other faults to be out in the wild, and perhaps even wait for the first win11 update to rollout, by which time you'll have a better appreciation of everyone else's experiences, problems and gripes. As it is now, it seems like many ppl will be facing a hardware upgrade (but bu no means -all- ppl), and perhaps laptops will be the hardware most likely to feel the pinch, but ostensibly I would take a backseat, sit on my hands, and watch the SHTF at release time (if the stools hit the blades =) Time is your friend, not an obtrusion to 'do it now'.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Tiny (30-06-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

they have removed the blocking from it being d/loaded i installed it and it runs fine no problems encountered so far

Uncle Fester (02-07-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

working fine here on my laptop, networking seems much faster......

tun driver is broken, wireguard not working, but that happened on last beta of w10 as well.

myob working fine, as is qnap stuff, netbak replicator etc.....
    Last edited by hoe; 02-07-21 at 10:25 AM.

Thanks

they have removed the blocking from it being d/loaded i installed it and it runs fine no problems encountered so far
    So are you saying that it now runs without the TPM 2 module and on that 8y/o PC you mentioned above ?
    What CPU are you running?
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 02-07-21 at 04:01 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    So are you saying that it now runs without the TPM 2 module and on that 8y/o PC you mentioned above ?
    What CPU are you running?
    yes there is no tpm on my current m/b the cpu is intel I5 4670k@3.4ghz

Uncle Fester (02-07-21)

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast