Thread: Replacing backlight on Bauhn ATV55UHD-1217 TV

Thanks

Default Replacing backlight on Bauhn ATV55UHD-1217 TV

Hi everyone. I've read a few threads on this forum about Bauhn TVs which power on and get sound but the screen appears black. I read somewhere I should turn off the lights in the room and shine a torch on the screen to see if I could see an image. I can, and based on that I believe the backlight may be dead - does that sound right?

If so, I'm wondering if anyone knows whether it's possible to buy a replacement backlight and if it's difficult to replace? The TV model is ATV55UHD-1217

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

Sold by Aldi (Bauhn is their elcheapo house-brand, name is a knockoff of Braun appliances)

Seems like it's a dead backlight, but the question ...is it the LED backlight strips, or is it the LED inverter board? One would need to disassemble the unit and test, to ascertain exactly what's failed.

That said, I had a quick search on the 'net and couldn't find any seller of (new) replacement parts -- just some 2ndhand parts.

If a teevee like this is brought to me for repair, (and this is before I disassemble & diagnose), if I can't find a source for new replacement parts (and considering Bauhn products are shitty), I would advise the owner to throw in on the e-waste pile at the local tip, and buy a better unit (any mainstream brand)

Thanks

Abut 4 years ago someone gave me an old plasma that had no backlight. Once I confirmed that the inverter was fine, I took it apart and found the fault to be some tubes that had died. Ended up removing them and replacing with some LED strips and power supply from Ebay (generic backlight). Did the trick and saved the plasma from the tip. the link is an example - mine came with a generic power strip that I used to replace the original inverter.