Thread: Problem With Asus G750J Gaming Laptop

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default Problem With Asus G750J Gaming Laptop

Good Evening Everyone,
    I have an Asus G750J laptop that I have been using for a while now, and tonight it's gone "tits up" so to speak and I am not sure where the problem lies.
    The power supply turns the battery charge light to orange when it is plugged into the power.
    The battery has obviously gone flat as it lights briefly and then dies.
    If I take the battery out and try and boot up the machine, nothing, without the battery in the orange battery light does not even light.
    So, do I have a stuffed battery or a stuffed charger or both ?
    According to a google search the unit should be capable of running without the battery so this is the conundrum.
    Prefer not shelling out for a new battery &/or charger if I don't need too.
    Anyone have an idea on which way to proceed ?
    Thanks in advance
    Mike

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Sounds like the charger/power supply is faulty.

Have you measured the output voltage?

The battery may also be an issue, depending how old it is, but I would be checking the charger/power supply first.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

mrtor (10-07-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Gee... how to proceed? Well, do you plan on wanting to run win11? If you do, I don't think the CPU in that model will be supported.

Am I reading right when I see this model released in 2013/14? If that's the case, and it's never been opened and cleaned, anything's possible....(but I'm still thinking buy new laptop if it's that old =)

I watched a teardown vid, could be they have an internal BIOS battery ....I'd start with that much, pull apart, remove battery and check it's ok, clear/short BIOS, chuck (BIOS) battery back in, suck it and see.

I would say that'd be hopeful/wishful feeling on my part, but, you gotta start somewhere - not sure if they have a DC in controller board...if they did, that'd be my next port of call -- going by the symptoms you describe though, if there is no DC controller board, then you start suspecting a mainboard problem .... some chatter about regarding BIOS chip replacement can be needed to fix this, but I'd be worried the fact it doesn't run off the charger (it should) means protection mosfet(s) might be naff, or anywhere in between there and a cooked CPU....spin the bottle time, could be anything.

You would of course do a cursory check that the charger is outputting power and/or if the battery is taking/holding a charge.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

mrtor (10-07-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Sounds like the charger/power supply is faulty.

Have you measured the output voltage?

The battery may also be an issue, depending how old it is, but I would be checking the charger/power supply first.
    I'll hunt out a multimeter tomorrow, not sure if that will be definitive but at least if it shows less than 19v which is what it's supposed to be I believe then that might be point 1.

Thanks for the push in the direction :-)

Regards
    Mike

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Gee... how to proceed? Well, do you plan on wanting to run win11? If you do, I don't think the CPU in that model will be supported.

Am I reading right when I see this model released in 2013/14? If that's the case, and it's never been opened and cleaned, anything's possible....(but I'm still thinking buy new laptop if it's that old =)

I watched a teardown vid, could be they have an internal BIOS battery ....I'd start with that much, pull apart, remove battery and check it's ok, clear/short BIOS, chuck (BIOS) battery back in, suck it and see.

I would say that'd be hopeful/wishful feeling on my part, but, you gotta start somewhere - not sure if they have a DC in controller board...if they did, that'd be my next port of call -- going by the symptoms you describe though, if there is no DC controller board, then you start suspecting a mainboard problem .... some chatter about regarding BIOS chip replacement can be needed to fix this, but I'd be worried the fact it doesn't run off the charger (it should) means protection mosfet(s) might be naff, or anywhere in between there and a cooked CPU....spin the bottle time, could be anything.

You would of course do a cursory check that the charger is outputting power and/or if the battery is taking/holding a charge.
    Not confident in anyway way to open up the case, will try checking the power supply output.. It's used 99% of the time as an audio workstation and not connected to the internet expect to update the core software what we use, up to tonight it's been a great lappy.

I have toyed with the idea of ditching a laptop and going with a desktop or racked machine that can travel with all the other band gear.. Might be the push if I can't resolve this easily.

Cheers
    Mike

• The Following User Says Thank You to mrtor For This Useful Post:

wotnot (11-07-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrtor View Post
    Not confident in anyway way to open up the case, will try checking the power supply output.. It's used 99% of the time as an audio workstation and not connected to the internet expect to update the core software what we use, up to tonight it's been a great lappy.

I have toyed with the idea of ditching a laptop and going with a desktop or racked machine that can travel with all the other band gear.. Might be the push if I can't resolve this easily.

Cheers
    Mike
    Ahh, right...I'm with you -- there's some nice rackmount stuff out there nowadays, and if you've already got other gear in a suitable case then it'd make a lot of sense...looks pretty sexy too huh? =)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

mrtor (11-07-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrtor View Post
    I'll hunt out a multimeter tomorrow, not sure if that will be definitive but at least if it shows less than 19v which is what it's supposed to be I believe then that might be point 1.

Thanks for the push in the direction :-)

Regards
    Mike
    Still no further progress, looking like the problem is machine related

Tried a new power supply, same result

Bit the bullet after contemplation, new i7 purchased today

Beaten by the machine !

Thank you for your suggestions and pointers

Regards
    Mike

• 23-08-21, 06:52 PM

• 29-03-22, 09:06 PM

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Given the OP resolved the issue... sort of, with a replacement and that spammers are now posting here.....

Thread closed.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.