Thread: Tesla - cost of ownership.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Default Tesla - cost of ownership.

sorry I could find no other link. It does illustrate some of the hidden costs of owning a "green" car. We might not have the same issues here in OZ, but interesting just the same.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (03-11-21)

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Ive seen a few of his vids , and there is no way id buy Tesla garbage after seeing them....

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 1,533 Posts

It's a reality exercise for a pensioner like myself ~ the reality is, the ONLY way I would even own an EV (regardless of brand) is if someone else bought one for me ; that simple.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

enf (03-11-21)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    sorry I could find no other link. It does illustrate some of the hidden costs of owning a "green" car. We might not have the same issues here in OZ, but interesting just the same.
    I have no Faceache access but I am fairly certain this is one of the countless posts of EV haters that you will also find on youtube.

As an EV car owner (the ICE was used only 4 times this year) with actual experience I can only say that cost saving and ride comfort has been amazing.

There are no hidden costs, service cost is almost nil and you get what you pay for here. I paid 22K for my second hand model.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 03-11-21 at 11:20 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

gulliver (03-11-21),shred (03-11-21)

LSemmens
    Thanks

I think you can watch it w/o logging in anyway. It's premise is more to do with coping with extremely cold weather than failings of the technology per. se.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,092 Times in 9,096 Posts

I think you can watch it w/o logging in anyway. It's premise is more to do with coping with extremely cold weather than failings of the technology per. se.
    Ummm..no..It's actually failings of the technology in very cold weather....

It gets pretty cold here at times. I have a mate with one, and he swears by them. It's garaged of course.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (06-11-21)

Thanks

If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 1,533 Posts

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

No Facebook access without logging in here, hence no Facebook even for local emergency weather warnings and covid info. Thankfully we still have the ABC for now.

Norway is not exactly a warm country with some parts reaching -40˚C and below but has by far the highest uptake of EVs per capita in the world.
    So how could this be it they had cold weather problems:

As said the usual anti-EV dribble.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 04-11-21 at 06:03 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post

...and your point?

LSemmens
    Thanks

I'm not necessarily bagging EVs at all, just showing that there could be some unanticipated costs of ownership, in the aforementioned case in extremely cold climates the vehicles need to be kept plugged in and warmed up before use. In Britain, their low voltage supply is apparently insufficient to keep the car warm and charge the battery necessitating an upgrade of the domestic power supply. Another, mechanical, weakness was discovered in their wipers where a component failed unless the snow and ice was cleared from the screen properly. (This may not necessarily be a problem unique to Tesla but still worth considering.)

Thanks

I'm not necessarily bagging EVs at all, just showing that there could be some unanticipated costs of ownership, in the aforementioned case in extremely cold climates the vehicles need to be kept plugged in and warmed up before use. In Britain, their low voltage supply is apparently insufficient to keep the car warm and charge the battery necessitating an upgrade of the domestic power supply. Another, mechanical, weakness was discovered in their wipers where a component failed unless the snow and ice was cleared from the screen properly. (This may not necessarily be a problem unique to Tesla but still worth considering.)

Britain like most other countries in the world has 230V which is sufficient for standard charge.

Warming up cars before use in winter is a desirable feature in all cars(in colder countries0 but more easier achieved with the built in electric heating in EVs.
    There is a timer for you to program it and it does not use anywhere near as much electricity to heat up the battery and inside of a car for only one hour compared to a house in winter or what people here in Australia use for their Aircon.
    Even decades ago preheating of cars in Germany was an option in better cars using a fuel heater.
    Here in Australia we have all A/C in our cars that use 10% of our fuel. Nobody complains about that as a hidden cost. This belongs to the running cost as does using heating and A/C in an electric vehicle.

Where it is cold you need heating, that has nothing to do with EVs but your decision where you want to live.

LOL about the wipers, I spent almost 30 years Europe and in EVERY car I had, ice and heavy snow would freeze up or demobilise your wipers. You always had to lift the wipers and clear the windscreen with scrapers.
    Winter in Germany was always a pain in the arse and one of the reasons why I decided to move back and live permanently in Australia.

LSemmens
    Thanks

It's the unanticipated costs to which I was referring. It's like saying your solar panels produce free electricity without factoring in the upfront costs of installation. Strictly speaking the Electricity is free, but ROI is still calculated in years. I spent something like 6k on my system and have not had an electricity bill since, however, my initial outlay has yet to be recovered from the electricity savings.

Thanks

It's the unanticipated costs to which I was referring. It's like saying your solar panels produce free electricity without factoring in the upfront costs of installation. Strictly speaking the Electricity is free, but ROI is still calculated in years. I spent something like 6k on my system and have not had an electricity bill since, however, my initial outlay has yet to be recovered from the electricity savings.
    Unanticipated costs?
    So you were not aware that the solar panels costed 6K before you had them installed?

I think people who buy Teslas are actually aware of their cost and that is currently still a fair bit more than a petrol guzzler, well if you had to buy one here in Australia.

That you might have to preheat them for about 50c worth of electricity on rare extremely cold days/nights would be for the purchasers of such cars totally irrelevant as they will save an order of magnitude more by not having to pay for petrol on the trip.
    Such minute 'hidden' cost is just splitting hairs.

6kWh of electricity costs me $1.50 (if I would actually pay for the electricity) and gets me about 36km, a typical round trip I do.
    That same trip would have costed me $6.12 on fuel with my former car at the current fuel prices. Then there are the other hidden costs of petrol cars like oil change and air filter change, radiator service, brake wear(that is almost non existent in EVs), I am probably missing more.

And before anybody starts with battery wear and replacement cost, it turns out that I calculated 250,000km(in theory assuming no premature fault) before my battery has reached 80% state of health, then it would likely run another 200,000km before it is 50%, still drivable but I am most likely not.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 05-11-21 at 11:01 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

I was considering a Tesla, but it seems real world range is just over half of what Tesla claims.

By real world I mean 110 kmh on the highway.

Its not just Tesla but most ev manufacturers use a formula to calculate a theoretical range, which has no relevance in the real world.

usages.kangaroos.sound

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

eaglem (09-11-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    I was considering a Tesla, but it seems real world range is just over half of what Tesla claims.

By real world I mean 110 kmh on the highway.

Its not just Tesla but most ev manufacturers use a formula to calculate a theoretical range, which has no relevance in the real world.

usages.kangaroos.sound
    I can confirm that highway range is less in the real world so I will post my real world figures.
    My (now older) 2 ton heavy PHEV has a claimed range of 52km.
    Currently the best I get is 48km but on the highway at 110km I get about 32km max (no A/C) before the ICE kicks in.

So based on that I would extrapolate a latest Tesla S with 640km EPA range to run 393km at constant 110km/h on smooth flat highway.
    However air resistance of a Tesla S is much less than my family SUV so you can expect noticeably more highway range.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 06-11-21 at 09:53 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

not many smooth level highways around here......

my normal highway trip to perth is 600km, the only charge station is 335km from here......

any sort of headwind and i wouldnt make it........

then hopefully nobody at the charging station for a 30 minute charge....

if charging station broken then i would be in for an overnight stay, no thanks its still too hard.....

city use and small trips, no problem.

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

eaglem (09-11-21)