Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rudd fixes our government's vaccine bungle

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

I am not going to run anything.
    I just inform myself as good as I can.

Vaccines with 90% symptomatic efficacy will stop the spread even if 20% don't vaccinate.
    That is called herd immunity.

AZ with 60% efficacy and less if we dose it only 2 weeks apart, can not achieve this.

So if the best we could do is 1 million doses a week that would take 50 weeks minus 7 weeks for the already dosed. Don't forget we would now have to vaccinate children because of Delta.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 14-07-21 at 01:09 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

So the doctor was lying when I was told that my second dose will give me 90% efficacy after 12 weeks....not that it makes any difference to me really. I had it as soon as I was able.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (15-07-21)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    So the doctor was lying when I was told that my second dose will give me 90% efficacy after 12 weeks....not that it makes any difference to me really. I had it as soon as I was able.
    No he was not, I mentioned a couple of posts back that it's efficacy against being hospitalised is 90% after the 12 week second dose.

The spread of the virus is about the symptomatic efficacy which is 60% and likely less with only 14 day second doses,
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Problem is, of that 25% most will be out bush, don't understand the question, or are too young to say one way or the other.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Problem is, of that 25% most will be out bush, don't understand the question, or are too young to say one way or the other.
    Interesting point but that is not a really problem but we have here a huge advantage compared to countries like India and Indonesia.
    The population density in our bush is so thin that the virus can't really go anywhere.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 14-07-21 at 03:25 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

gulliver (18-07-21)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Except to the local pub Then what happens ?Hey we got a pub with no beer !!!!!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

gulliver (18-07-21),Uncle Fester (14-07-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    Except to the local pub Then what happens ?Hey we got a pub with no beer !!!!!

Bush... awesome, finally found sign: Next pub 100km

Sydney... visited 100 pubs on my essential 5km exercise run
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 14-07-21 at 11:02 PM.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

eaglem (15-07-21),enf (15-07-21),gulliver (18-07-21),hinekadon (15-07-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I see that pfizer has issued statements totally refuting the premise of this thread.... the original ABC "story" was plain false...and pollies like Plibersek should check a few facts before embarrassing themselves.

I'm glad the ABC has seen some light....

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

eaglem (18-07-21)

Thanks

I see that pfizer has issued statements totally refuting the premise of this thread.... the original ABC "story" was plain false...and pollies like Plibersek should check a few facts before embarrassing themselves.

I'm glad the ABC has seen some light....

Please view my post #13 on the day that was actually published:

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    No, ABC have indeed published a second article about a Pfizer spokesperson denying Rudd's actions had influence in any of Pfizer's decisions :

Well I did say the story wasn't over yet.
    However nobody from Pfizer has disputed the insults from the ScoMo government from the initial negotiations :

This came amid continuing reports that Australia had bungled its negotiations with the company in talks going back to June and July last year which displayed a "rude, dismissive and penny pinching" approach, according to one source.

Australia eventually signed a deal for just 10 million Pfizer doses in November 2020, four months behind other countries.

Health Department officials have flatly denied many of these reports, but the businessmen in the US who had connections with Pfizer were hearing even more graphic accounts of how badly offended the company had been by the response to its early approaches to Australia last year when it offered access to what is now to be a crucial part of our vaccine coverage.

Thanks

I see today that Berejiklian has finally decided to do a proper lock down after 3 weeks of pointless suffering.

Full on snap lockdowns that could stay short from the Victorian premier have worked excellently in the past and had Berejiklian done her job properly VIC wouldn't have had to do this latest one.

Now it is too little too late and very hard to see the "light at the end of the tunnel" ...almost as often used as the word "unprecedented" by some politicians , LOL.

hinekadon (18-07-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Again, I don't see the problem.....the numbers are high, but the death rate is low. The rest is just your usual hysterical anti coalition diatribe....with the usual conspiracy theory thrown in.

NSW stays open and only uses draconian measures as a last resort. Now, Delta has overrun what has been an excellent system up till now...

Ongoing...although as I said, this will never go away.

eaglem (18-07-21)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Friendly Jordies, this will, hopefully annoy some
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

eaglem (22-07-21),enf (19-07-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hahaha....not bad....lame and not very funny, but not bad. I like this sort of thing. The kids are always showing them to me.

I just rang my eldest daughter and asked her to send me something....I don't have faceache, but its a public page apparently.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

allover (19-07-21),eaglem (22-07-21)

Thanks

Again, I don't see the problem.....the numbers are high, but the death rate is low. The rest is just your usual hysterical anti coalition diatribe....with the usual conspiracy theory thrown in.
    NSW stays open and only uses draconian measures as a last resort. Now, Delta has overrun what has been an excellent system up till now...

Ongoing...although as I said, this will never go away.

Some FACTS enf, NOT 'imagined' hysteria:

- Today SA and VIC are out of their snap lockdowns, with no deaths and only a small disruption to our economy.

- Berejiklian will continue her 'soft' lockdown for at least another month.

- She is responsible now for 10 deaths that would likely not have happened if she did a Daniel Andrews style snap lockdown immediately after Delta escaped Sydney Airport. No doubt more deaths to come.

- She is responsible for huge damage to Australia's economy, keeping workers away from work for so long and having whole Australia pay for them.

- She says she doesn't want a hard lock down because she wants to give Sydney siders as much freedom as possible.
    What freedom is that? Her half hearted restrictions are still massive restrictions that are going on for months and ruining people's lives.
    I have sympathy for the protesters, not the antivaxxer and mask hater morons, but those who are protesting against these pathetic lockdown restrictions.

There is only one solution to save NSW and ensure the rest of Australia stays safe:
    This stubborn stupid woman must be removed immediately by vote of no confidence or any other means and replaced by a person with the competence of Daniel Andrews.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 28-07-21 at 11:26 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Some FACTS enf, NOT 'imagined' hysteria:
    I don’t think VIC or Dan Andrews can lecture NSW about lockdowns or deaths - they’ve now had 5 full lock downs and more than 800 deaths. Over the past 12 months their citizens have spent more time in lock down than out. That is no cause for celebration.

NSW, until this latest lock down, has managed to remain largely open and unrestricted. Luck or good management? Likely both, but that is a fact that cannot be ignored.

NSW is also the only state that has remained open to overseas flights at all times, allowing all citizens (not just those from NSW) to return home. Both SA and VIC blocked ALL flights for months, and even when allowing them, did so at numbers with less than half those of NSW. That is pathetic.

The problem as I see it now is the complacency of the general public. Australia - thanks to the management by our Federal and state Governments - have remained largely unaffected by COVID deaths and hospitalisations, yet as a result many consider COVID as a virus that doesn’t (and won’t) affect them.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

eaglem (29-07-21),enf (28-07-21),mandc (30-07-21),Tiny (28-07-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    I don’t think VIC or Dan Andrews can lecture NSW about lockdowns or deaths - they’ve now had 5 full lock downs and more than 800 deaths. Over the past 12 months their citizens have spent more time in lock down than out. That is no cause for celebration.

NSW, until this latest lock down, has managed to remain largely open and unrestricted. Luck or good management? Likely both, but that is a fact that cannot be ignored.
    Smart people learn from their mistakes and Andrews seems to have.
    Dwelling in the past is a wrong strategy and look how that is working for the NSW and the current Delta strain.

Certain characters from our right wing government continuously blame it all on the population for not wanting to vaccinate in an effort to cover up the big mistakes made by the Federal government in regards to vaccination supply.
    Most people here in Australia DO want the vaccination, only a very small minority making a lot of noise don't.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 29-07-21 at 10:56 AM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

eaglem (30-07-21)

Thanks

Most people here in Australia DO want the vaccination, only a very small minority making a lot of noise don't.
    I thought there is an abundance of AZ shots available so that majority of people can get vaccinated, isn't it?

At the moment I see very small minority of people mainly presenting themselves through our media channels making a lot of noise that there is no enough vaccines in Australia blaming Morrison.

NSW strategy worked very well last year when virus variants were less transmissible. This year with the higher transmission rate we see more infected people and as a result more deaths. With Delta variant the transmission rate is higher but data so far suggests the mortality rate is almost 3 times lower comparing to last year strains. This was expected as that is how virus evolution works. I was saying that will be the case earlier in the thread when people were arguing that the virus strengths equals transmissibility. I think mortality rate is what the most important criteria should be used when government decides the best strategy dealing with pandemic.
    I still predict the virus wont disappear but will mutate further with lower mortality or serious effects caused. Eventually, we will have combined flu+covid vaccine in one yearly shot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    With Delta variant the transmission rate is higher but data so far suggests the mortality rate is almost 3 times lower comparing to last year strains. This was expected as that is how virus evolution works. I was saying that will be the case earlier in the thread when people were arguing that the virus strengths equals transmissibility. I think mortality rate is what the most important criteria should be used when government decides the best strategy dealing with pandemic.
    I still predict the virus wont disappear but will mutate further with lower mortality or serious effects caused. Eventually, we will have combined flu+covid vaccine in one yearly shot.
    Not sure where you are getting that data from but the mortality rate with Delta looks actually higher to me, particularly now because it is fatal to younger people.
    Looking at the UK numbers you must consider that 70% are fully vaccinated and before the older people who where more vulnerable without vaccine are now surviving.
    Remove that factor and you would see a similar or even higher mortality rate with Delta compared to the earlier strains as it kills younger people as well.

The strength of a virus is indeed determined by it's survival and transmissibility, not it's mortality.
    Allowing the virus to evolve like the UK is now doing will lead to mutations that eventually will be immune to vaccines and there is currently no clear evidence that the mutations will be less fatal.
    Covid is behaving very different to a flu virus. It is a serious mistake to think otherwise.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 30-07-21 at 12:41 AM.

hinekadon (30-07-21)

Thanks

This is a wonderful classic example showing the difference between the Left and the Right:

The left wants to reward people who fully vaccinate with a $300 bribe.
    This is proven the best way to get dogs behave and learn tricks using treats.

The right totally refuses that practice and wants to 'motivate' by stopping punishment and restrictions for those who fully vaccinate.
    Kind of what you do with criminals or undemocratic countries using sanctions, which has proven in the past not to work, just create more aggressive behaviour.

I coincidentally read that report while I was in the waiting room today waiting for anaphylaxis after my first dose of the second class jab, as there is no way I see getting Pfizer or better Moderna (amazingly still not approved yet AZ was very quickly approved despite directly related fatalities) before next year based on my age.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 05-08-21 at 01:36 PM.

gulliver (05-08-21)

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast