Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Public' space travel

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

Default 'Public' space travel

Wasn't sure if I should title this public or private.
    The general public can not afford it yet, so maybe I should have called it private but maybe one day trips will get cheap enough that it becomes an alternative to Dreamworld with a similar risk factor.

So lets keep track of this development.

I also wasn't sure if Sir Richard Branson would survive but there you go, congrats, he is the first.

Bezos is up in 9 days, while Musk seems too scared to hop on a SpaceX rocket himself and find his car.

If I had the cash I would go but only if the craft reaches at least LEO so I can spin around Earth a few times at 0g.
    Rather die in space than on the road or worse, slow and painful from an incurable virus/cancer, nuclear apocalypse ...

Edit: I actually wanted to post this in the Science Forum, could a mod kindly move this there, thanks
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 12-07-21 at 10:37 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

mtv (21-07-21)

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

I'd love to do it, too. Rather spend my last hours floating around in space that screaming on a Dreamworld ride.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Maybe if we can hang in there for another 10 years, prices might go down to 30k.
    Kids don't have to inherit all my assets.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Default another ten years

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Maybe if we can hang in there for another 10 years, prices might go down to 30k.
    Kids don't have to inherit all my assets.
    shite unkie the way the world is going there may be no one left then to drive the machine ? If the greenies get in the road ?then what

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,508 Posts

If it happens they'll need to update this wikipedia page =) -->

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    shite unkie the way the world is going there may be no one left then to drive the machine ? If the greenies get in the road ?then what
    Worry not, at least not about the fuel.
    The hydrogen revolution has begun, locally thanks to Twiggy and his Fortescue Future Industries making fuel out of water and solar panels, already in testing phase by converting it to safe ammonia and powering ships and very heavy vehicles but rocket fuel itself (combustion of the released H2 and O2) is definitely a possibility now that solar panels are dirt cheap and soo many deserts opening up.

Other things going on in the world are still concerning though if we want to hang in there for another 10 years.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 14-07-21 at 01:32 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (14-07-21)

Thanks

I like this quote:

For 10 minutes and 10 seconds on Tuesday, Jeff Bezos wasn’t the richest man on Earth.

Himself being the first 'test pilot' is still gutsy even if everything is automated.

So now we have space tourism with competition.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 21-07-21 at 11:54 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (21-07-21)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

Edit: I actually wanted to post this in the Science Forum, could a mod kindly move this there, thanks
    Sorry for the delay... only just noticed your request.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (21-07-21)

Administrator
    Thanks

It's certainly a game-changer.

At this stage, a pilotless rocket is safer than driverless cars.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (27-07-21),lsemmens (21-07-21),Uncle Fester (21-07-21)

Administrator
    Thanks

If I had the cash I would go but only if the craft reaches at least LEO so I can spin around Earth a few times at 0g.
    Rather die in space than on the road or worse, slow and painful from an incurable virus/cancer, nuclear apocalypse ...
    +1. Always wanted to travel into space. The same dream Jeff Bezos had as a kid. The only thing I have in common with him.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (27-07-21),Uncle Fester (21-07-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    It's certainly a game-changer.

At this stage, a pilotless rocket is safer than driverless cars.

When building a "Road to Space" there is... err... more space for margin of error.

However at some stage I would think that the space craft might have to communicate with Elon Musk's Skynet Starlink so that the satellites can move out of the way, which they are already doing to avoid crashing into each other.

Other than that, what can go wrong?
    As long as the rocket won't explode, separation is working, heat shield still intact and that the parachutes open in time.
    Otherwise it is basically Kerbal Space program

2024 he wants to be on the moon, somewhat trickier.
    If "For All Mankind" is anything to go by, it might be wise to have a plan B and C and... ah yeah an actual pilot or two on board, like they have with the Airbus for a bit of reprogramming and to pull the reverse thrusters.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (27-07-21),mtv (21-07-21)

Administrator
    Thanks

..... 2024 he wants to be on the moon, somewhat trickier...
    The Indians beat him to it

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gulliver (27-07-21),hinekadon (27-07-21),lsemmens (21-07-21),Uncle Fester (23-07-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,858 Times in 9,044 Posts

Space tourism for the general population is a pipe dream...the practical difficulties are huge...no matter how much we wish it IMO

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

gulliver (27-07-21),hinekadon (27-07-21),wotnot (26-07-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Space tourism for the general population is a pipe dream...the practical difficulties are huge...no matter how much we wish it IMO

Yeah, they probably said the same at the time of the Wright Bros if some crazy person predicted 800 tourists inside some 'tin' can flying around the world.

Where there is a will lot of money to be earned, there is a way.

These new tiny rockets are basically prototypes of a mass produceable item. That is not a fantasy, that is their plan. The key here is that the machinery is reusable and also automation saves a lot of cost.

These up and down space hops are not huge technical difficulties. A rocket sends you up fairly randomly and the atmosphere and parachutes catch you on the way down, pretty old school.
    Getting safely to the moon and back is far more challenging where a small (software) error or malfunction can lead to an eternal space journey and also the reason why automated moon trips would be a bad idea.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 26-07-21 at 08:55 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (27-07-21),lsemmens (27-07-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Yeah, they probably said the same at the time of the Wright Bros if some crazy person predicted 800 tourists inside some 'tin' can flying around the world.

Where there is a will lot of money to be earned, there is a way.

These new tiny rockets are basically prototypes of a mass produceable item. That is not a fantasy, that is their plan. The key here is that the machinery is reusable and also automation saves a lot of cost.

These up and down space hops are not huge technical difficulties. A rocket sends you up fairly randomly and the atmosphere and parachutes catch you on the way down, pretty old school.
    Getting safely to the moon and back is far more challenging where a small (software) error or malfunction can lead to an eternal space journey and also the reason why automated moon trips would be a bad idea.
    You may be right Fester....I don't think so, but it's remotely possible IMO.

We have far greater problems to get through in the next several years.....this is fantasy IMHO. I don't object to these wealthy people indulging themselves, but it is what it is in my view.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (27-07-21)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

enf (27-07-21),hinekadon (27-07-21),Johnno (27-07-21),Uncle Fester (27-07-21),wotnot (27-07-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks Tiny, that was a great laugh to watch, pity the reality wasn't quite as entertaining ..

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

enf (27-07-21),Tiny (27-07-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Thanks Tiny, that was a great laugh to watch, pity the reality wasn't quite as entertaining ..
    Tax loop holes and Amazon's invasive policies, just like M$, Google, Facebook, etc, while important to point out, are not topic of this thread.

Tiny's Youtube find is funny, however a Trump phallus pushing all the others out of the way is missing here.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I think the topic line itself has missed the mark actually ~ it's not as though we're talking about 'public' space flight, in the same way as we think about 'public' transport or 'public' recreation --- it's more like that other recent thread here...ie; 'Amusement rides' ...for the filthy rich and (in)famous =)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    I think the topic line itself has missed the mark actually ~ it's not as though we're talking about 'public' space flight, in the same way as we think about 'public' transport or 'public' recreation --- it's more like that other recent thread here...ie; 'Amusement rides' ...for the filthy rich and (in)famous =)
    Exactly....

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast