Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trouble Accessing a Particular Website

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Just FTR they do hook to cloudflare ;

Anything I can do to get around that?
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guiseppe View Post
    Anything I can do to get around that?
    Not really, I think the important thing to take away from that image, is that's ublock running, and even so with adblocker on linux using an {ahem} unsupported browser, I can login to my grays account, and navigate the site fine sans the ads I never see...it just works (tm)

You could try going to the grays website, and instead of trying to login, click on the 'I forgot my password' link, and see if their system generates an email to you containing a reset password link...if that works as expected, it should propagate the new credential pair into the spaghetti.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (24-07-21)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

You might have a dirty IP, check here:

If yes the easiest solution is to use a VPN otherwise you will have to convince your ISP to change it which might be more of a PITA.

Failing that you could try checking and changing your DNS settings:

If you are using Linux you will find and change it easily in the Network Settings.

Can also be done globally in your modem and worth a check if there are already DNS set that might be corrupting things so you could simply disable it.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    You might have a dirty IP, check here:

Did that - one came up red but that is not the reason - see below.

If yes the easiest solution is to use a VPN otherwise you will have to convince your ISP to change it which might be more of a PITA.

Failing that you could try checking and changing your DNS settings:

If you are using Linux you will find and change it easily in the Network Settings.

Can also be done globally in your modem and worth a check if there are already DNS set that might be corrupting things so you could simply disable it.
    Yonks go I set up a DNS in the router to use Getflix. That also is not the reason as the tablet uses WiFi that has to go through the said router.

For the sake of completeness I am running BionicPup 32 Bit with seasmonkey 2.53.6.
    Last edited by Guiseppe; 24-07-21 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks

have you tried a different device on your network to connect
    and see if it can log in.

that would eliminate the dns and ip issue and narrow it down to
    the pc .

I had a similar issue and in the end found it was on a blocked rang from my service
    provider and that i need to use an vpn to go to that site.
    Last edited by fandtm666; 24-07-21 at 04:01 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (24-07-21)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Try booting into live session with Linux or (for the paranoid) TOR and see if you can access it from there, if not, it could be your ISP playing silly buggers, who are you with BTW. Another thought, can you log on to them using your phone?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (24-07-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

PS. Installing another browser is not an option.
    Why? Others are available...

Believe it or not both the email address and password are completed by grays!!
    Nope, unlikely....not how it works...

For the sake of completeness I am running BionicPup 32 Bit with seasmonkey 2.53.6.
    Ugh... bound to be seamonkey (or so says my gut reading the known issues for that release)...but lets see ...

Always convincing when it's as easy as installing the bionicpup distro in a VM, and trying to login from that virtual instance, et_voila! Now...lemme see here...oh, that was with firewall OFF btw...

They're using TLS 1.2 to secure the connection, so lets have a peek there ;

From bionicpup;

From the Deb10 host;

Bionicpup is allowing TLS 1.0 ..?!?!....FFS.... good thing linux is fairly hard underneath userspace...that's just plain stupid...anyhow, now lets grope another browser into the picture....I say 'grope' because all these what I call 'boutique' linux distros always futz with package management, so I can't just do the debian thang of 'apt install firefox'....I have to wade through this recreating the wheel BS with so called .sfs files....sigh... talk about making life difficult.

True ....installed firefox into the bionicpup32 instance, et_voila! ... I *can* login to my grays account no problem now (note: I've covered my login email with an xterm titlebar because privacy, but you can see the 'sign out' button is active (because I'm signed in =)

I'll declare gut feeling to be right -- it's that version of seamonkey, still has too much dried shrimp involved, and they've obviously stripped working stuff out of it, to make it 'lightweight'.... oh the folly =)

As for bionicpup (a distro I've not seen/used before).... 3 out of a possible 10 ....and lost 2 points for displaying a beaver, and having it bark like a dog ...very unpolished.

Guiseppe (24-07-21)

Thanks

Why? Others are available...

Nope, unlikely....not how it works...

Ugh... bound to be seamonkey (or so says my gut reading the known issues for that release)...but lets see ...

Bionicpup is allowing TLS 1.0 ..?!?!....FFS....

....installed firefox into the bionicpup32 instance, et_voila! ... I *can* login to my grays account no problem now (note: I've covered my login email with an xterm titlebar because privacy, but you can see the 'sign out' button is active (because I'm signed in =)

As for bionicpup (a distro I've not seen/used before).... 3 out of a possible 10 ....and lost 2 points for displaying a beaver, and having it bark like a dog ...very unpolished.
    I use seamonkey as an email client as well.

I, for most sites, am not concerned with saved passwords/etc. on the PC

I am tending to agree. I see 2.53.8 is available. EDIT: seamonkey 2,53.8.1 - same error page.

Easily fixed. Edit>Preferences>Privacy & Security>SSL/TLS>Uncheck TLS 1.0 and done

After you have logged out can you go back and login again?

For the first easily changed, for the second mine gives a more melodious series of tones - when I have the speakers on!
    Last edited by Guiseppe; 24-07-21 at 06:07 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

After you have logged out can you go back and login again?
    With firefox? Yep, no problem, builtin password manager worked too ~ I've since deleted the vdisk image ; any linux distro that enables TLS 1.0 by default, is being stupid -- that security framework has been 'dead' since about 2018 once all the vulnerabilities were uncovered. Nobody should be using it anymore.... like I say, very unpolished distro.

Guiseppe (25-07-21)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

I always use the Epic browser for general secure browsing of unknown websites but even if I want to log in to Ebay, it is a no go with Epic.
    Ebay is sometimes picky with Vivaldi too, then it is only Firefox ESR for me.

I don't waste my time any more trying to figure out why, I just choose what works.

It is also a good idea to use different browers for different functions.
    Anything involving money and logging I use Firefox ESR set up in private mode.
    For general browsing and no risk logins: Epic and Vivaldi, both better for downloads too because they often can resume from failed attempts unlike Firefox for me.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (25-07-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Choice of browser isn't/wasn't the crux issue here (but I agree some browsers are better than others with specific tasks, so for instance on linux at least, Chrome works better than FF when dealing with GDrive stuffs)

The crux problem here, was the distro creator(s) lack of 'sensible compliance' with transmission security protocols. TBH, I'd actually discounted that TLS 1.0 might be at the root of the cause, just because 'the rest of the world' started deprecating TLS 1.0 back in 2018 onward. Typically folks are given a little time to change/update their servers to the newer standard(s), but it was pretty much dead in the water as of a year and a half ago, when cisco removed it's support, and firefox removed it from default config not long after...I think M$ is doing something about it later this year wrt their browser & server products (oops! wrong..done the beginning of July this year =), so it's widely known that nobody should be needing/using TLS 1.0/1.1 any more at all, never ever again...except, obviously, the curators of the bionicpup distro ; they're apparently unaware that TLS 1.0/1.1 should be disabled by default, and it's polemical as to whether or not to allow re-enabling it, primarily due to the number of older Android devices out there with firmware including the deprecated TLS standard libraries that may still connect to a webserver somewhere. If that's the case, then it's likely TLS 1.0/1.1 will hang around as a severely deprecated protocol, that has to be specifically enabled (probably by root really, due to the vulnerabilities involved). Looks to me everyone's waiting for all Android 4.x.x devices to die and go away =)

I remember this from way back in 2017 --

bionicpup is based upon ubuntu 18.04 which itself is based on debian 8/9 .... so the distro in question -here- is twice removed and out-dated (not up to date with current security conventions). Ubuntu 20.04 took the same lead as debian by having TLS 1.0/1.1 disabled by default, and was some of the fallout =)

No doubt the bionicpup curators will address this in their -next- release, but the rest of us are already here...(and by 'address this' I mean the ubuntu release on which they base their next release will already include the changes)

Thanks

That is all very well and good but it doesn't get me any closer to achieving my objectives:

1. To be able to login to grays, and

2. To be able to autobid.

As a what-if I downloaded and installed firefox - guess what?

I can login but cannot do an autobid .. What the fck have they done to their website?

Which neatly brings me back to the question I asked in post #1.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Could be worth asking Grays that question. They might have a solution.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (26-07-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guiseppe View Post
    That is all very well and good but it doesn't get me any closer to achieving my objectives:

1. To be able to login to grays, and

2. To be able to autobid.

As a what-if I downloaded and installed firefox - guess what?

I can login but cannot do an autobid .. What the fck have they done to their website?

Which neatly brings me back to the question I asked in post #1.

Your point 2. is new to this thread, and the first time you mention it ...because you've just noticed it now, after installing firefox, so that you can login --- these are separate issues.

My guess is the autobid function might be using java ... and the java-sdk installed typically gets incremented upon distro upgrades....ergo, your distro might be using v8 of the openjdk, whereas newer linux distros typically use v11 (which is what it looks like checking out ubuntu 18.04 release notes).

What have they done to their website? They've updated it. As I've said, bionicpup is based on ubuntu 18.04 ...ubuntu itself is now up to 21.04 ...you are 2 distro releases behind 'current' ; you mileage IS going to vary

lsemmens is correct -- that's a question to bounce off grays support

Guiseppe (26-07-21)

Thanks

Your point 2. is new to this thread, and the first time you mention it ...because you've just noticed it now, after installing firefox, so that you can login --- these are separate issues.

I understand that.

My guess is the autobid function might be using java ... and the java-sdk installed typically gets incremented upon distro upgrades....ergo, your distro might be using v8 of the openjdk, whereas newer linux distros typically use v11 (which is what it looks like checking out ubuntu 18.04 release notes).

How can I check the version?

What have they done to their website? They've updated it. I know that. IT wallahs fixed something that wasn't broken and now it is - well and truly.

lsemmens is correct -- that's a question to bounce off grays support

I have done that and all they can suggest, so far, is to change browser - which, as I pointed out above is not the solution.

I appreciate your comments.
    Last edited by Guiseppe; 26-07-21 at 12:51 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

How can I check the version?
    Code:
    gcb@gallah:~$ java --version
    openjdk 11.0.11 2021-04-20
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.11+9-post-Debian-1deb10u1)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.11+9-post-Debian-1deb10u1, mixed mode, sharing)
    IT wallahs fixed something that wasn't broken and now it is - well and truly.
    That could be the incorrect surmise....ie; if it was working before for you, and then stopped, it infers Grays were accepting TLS 1.0 connections previously --- it probably worked, but from a security standpoint, that *is* 'broken', and they fixed it.

The only thing I can suggest, is exactly what I did to divine the issue -- install virtualbox, and install another, different linux distro into that, and see if it works. Choose whatever distro you like, provided it's 'current' (ie; released 2020 or later).

lsemmens (26-07-21)

Thanks

Code:
    gcb@gallah:~$ java --version
    openjdk 11.0.11 2021-04-20
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.11+9-post-Debian-1deb10u1)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.11+9-post-Debian-1deb10u1, mixed mode, sharing)

That could be the incorrect surmise....ie; if it was working before for you, and then stopped, it infers Grays were accepting TLS 1.0 connections previously --- it probably worked, but from a security standpoint, that *is* 'broken', and they fixed it.

The only thing I can suggest, is exactly what I did to divine the issue -- install virtualbox, and install another, different linux distro into that, and see if it works. Choose whatever distro you like, provided it's 'current' (ie; released 2020 or later).

For one website? Far too much trouble given that everything else on the system works the way I want.

Interesting:
    Code:
    # java --version
    bash: java: command not found
    Last edited by Guiseppe; 26-07-21 at 06:06 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

"For one website? Far too much trouble given that everything else on the system works the way I want."

Well it only took me around 10mins, but I agree - having to go 10minutes out of your way for one website that you really want to use, is really too much trouble for a website you really want to use =)

Seeing as any other idea I can think of takes longer than that, it'll be a moot point to suggest same.
    Last edited by wotnot; 26-07-21 at 07:11 PM.

Thanks

for one website that you really want to use,
    No, not really. They have changed their policy and do not have bidding starting at $9 ... so my enthusiasm has waned.

Thanks

# java --version
    bash: java: command not found

Then just install java and force Firefox to use it, if it works with the login.

Or try Vivaldi (it is a Chrome browser) with java plugin if required.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 26-07-21 at 11:20 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (27-07-21)

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast