Thread: Nissan Navara D40 Build EGR Issue

Thanks

Default Nissan Navara D40 EGR Issue

Hi all,

On Thursday night my Nissan decided to pack a sad and have some issues, Basically no power blowing heaps of Sooty smoke and running like a dog, No engine light, no error codes. but car not in limp mode, manage to Drive it home scaring every other car on the road with a cloud of smoke, car was driveable once above 2500 RPM or 60Km/ph, a lot less smoke and soot being blasted out of the rear of the car..

Get home jump on monkey mechanic book of knowledge called google and all symptoms point to a Clogged EGR Valve, watch some you tube videos, yup simple enough to get to and pull apart to clean. ( they can clog up, Known issue with EGR systems)

But all is not as it seems, pull the EGR inlet pipe off find a little disc sitting on the bottom of the chamber. the disc has broken away from the actuator arm, so when low pressure too much exhaust gas getting into engine and staving it of O2, hence the dirty burn and smoke...once pressure built up disc would "pop" up and partially block the inlet and allow for somewhat correct air mix and burn..

Installed a Home made Blanking plate and problem fixed.. runs fine now plenty of power no smoke etc... Now to my question...

Should I also do a ECU reset so it can relearn the fuel air mix now that the EGR has been bypass? it does seem to use a faction bit more fuel when idling, With working EGR system fuel usage was 1.8/100, with bypassed EGR, 1.9-2.0/100.. in the grand scheme of things nothing. but leads me to think a ECU reset to relearn may be needed as all information I come across re the blanking work around suggests better fuel economy...

Snacker

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,510 Posts

It won't hurt to put the ECU into relearn mode, but there's a couple of things to take note of (I take it this is the YD25 engine?);

*make sure the MAF & MAP sensors are clean
    *make sure air filter is clean
    *only reset the ECU after you have engine up to normal operating temp
    *after reset, make sure you go for at least a 20klm drive (normal driving conditions) for the relearn cycle to complete

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (02-08-21),snacker (02-08-21),VroomVroom (03-08-21)