Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh What A Brave Bunch They Are

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,993 Times in 1,535 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Sadly I think it would win just about every seat, every time. I say sadly, because we'd never have a government. Then the states and territories would have to make it up as they go along.......... Oh Wait! They do that now.......
    I think if we got to 1 vote 1 value, -and- had the 'None of the Above' widget, I believe your thought would largely realized, but therein actually lies the problem ~ we'd never have a govt, because there's no candidate worth voting for (so say the people), elections would likely cost (the taxpayer) more, but it wouldn't say much about the 'strength' of 'democracy' in this country, if when given the option, aussies decided 'none of the above' was the vote they felt confident in. The other thing to consider, would be if say an electorate vote was 'hung' because of a majority of 'none of the above' votes....then at least individuals in that premise, would know other individuals think exactly the same way, and that would be a 'transparency' in voting we don't really have.

In addition all donkey / invalid votes should be counted towards None of the above.
    Indeed, donkey votes still count, and that shouldn't be the case (although it's hard to classify a donkey vote from being an accident or else a form of protest). I can't find any hard numbers of donkey votes cast in AU... anyone else?

Informal votes however, do not count towards towards the election tally...but then, there's a premise wherein informal voting can give rise to election fraud. For instance, if you're one of those who merely turns up to the polling booth to sign off their name (without voting), then that act gives rise to them being issued a ballot paper (in theory), and a ballot paper that hasn't been filled in (at all or incorrectly) is deemed an informal vote ...m'kay? So if you think singing off and not voting is 'protest', do believe you're just considered to be too dim to fill out a ballot paper (no slight from me, but overall blank ballots don't get considered 'deliberate' most of the time (and fraud can happen if someone else not you, submits a ballot meant for you to fill in). They've spent hundreds of thousands of $ investigating all this crap, and if you wanna bore yourself silly -->

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

enf (17-08-21)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    (Note that I actually do take voting seriously. I feel that if you don’t vote, you lose the right to complain about the politicians… and I like to complain about them)
    Agreed.

I am not going to bag out anyone for their comments against voting, as they are in general intelligent responses that gave their reasoning.

Having said that, if you aren't going to vote, you might as well just give up on life.

While you are writing stupid comments on a ballet card to make it invalid, there are a couple of BILLION PEOPLE WORLDWIDE who would love to have the democratic freedom that you are screwing up and not taking seriously. Maybe consider being a woman in Afghanistan, I am sure they would love to be able to have a vote in a democratic country.

I can understand people being annoyed with politics, christ, it's on TV 24/7. You cant turn the TV on and not see it with covid. Pick any leader and half the population says they are doing a great job and half says they aren't. Would you prefer we do away with voting and instead have dictators who hold on to power for decades instead ? I see at least 3 that fit the mould every time I turn the TV on

Here is a solution. Respect your democratic right to vote to by voting. ......pick ANYONE who you think is best suited to receive your vote. Take the time to read what they have to say and what their policies are. There are always some Independents who might appeal to your way of thinking.

People can bag our system all they like, however it is best in the world by far in my opinion. It should be compulsory and I am glad it is, you only have to look at the some of the nightmare situations where it isn't.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

enf (17-08-21),gulliver (17-08-21),lsemmens (18-08-21),Tiny (18-08-21),wotnot (18-08-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,101 Times in 9,098 Posts

When I was young it didn't seem to matter.....but as I told my kids, if you have to turn up and get checked off, you may as well vote.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

gulliver (17-08-21)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,077 Times in 3,348 Posts

Well said, admin. No system is perfect, time was when we DID know (personally) the candidates for our local govt and could make an "informed" decision. Populations have grown and this is now not as probably as once it was. It is up to the individual voter to investigate and decide for themselves who they think is best for the job. There was a time when we (i.e. wife and I) were well known to pollies of all varieties in the NT. Some had diametrically opposed views on various topics, however, they all, sincerely, wanted what was best for their constituents. Politics is often a game of compromise. Like the current COVID crisis, the pollies are damned if they do, and damned if they don'. eg. lockdown on one case of COVID might prevent more, no lockdown risks possibly and exponential rise in cases. Businesses suffer because of lockdowns and the whole community suffers. So, we open up for the businesses to survive and cases rise. Community is outraged, regardless of lockdown or not.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12