Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Raspbian permissions

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

It wasn't until latterly in this thread and I saw Libraelec mentioned (misspelt, it's Libreelec) that it dawned on me what the issue is here ~ it's basically lack of sufficient RTFM

The directory permissions are probably goofy now, but, there was no problem to begin with ~ the directories under /media/pi/Storage/ were created by Libreelec/Kodi, and what user was supposed to do is setup their media libraries using the GUI of those apps.

If the pi user wanted to copy/listen to music, it would've been as easy as right clicking on desktop, create folder (named music), and you can drag&drop files into that easypeasy - I know, I just did it here =)

There was never any problem here, but still a lingering question -- what do you plan to use the thing for?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (02-09-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    you can easily download the ubuntu distro and install it on
    a sd card and load it up . Thats one of the good things about the pi
    can try different os with little hassle.

go here has all the files you will need and takes about 5 minutes all up.

Yeah ok, I will try that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    It wasn't until latterly in this thread and I saw Libraelec mentioned (misspelt, it's Libreelec) that it dawned on me what the issue is here ~ it's basically lack of sufficient RTFM

The directory permissions are probably goofy now, but, there was no problem to begin with ~ the directories under /media/pi/Storage/ were created by Libreelec/Kodi, and what user was supposed to do is setup their media libraries using the GUI of those apps.

If the pi user wanted to copy/listen to music, it would've been as easy as right clicking on desktop, create folder (named music), and you can drag&drop files into that easypeasy - I know, I just did it here =)

There was never any problem here, but still a lingering question -- what do you plan to use the thing for?
    Ah right, directory created by Libreelec. I never thought of that.
    OK So I'm running raspbian, and it sees all of the directories no matter what's created them. If they have difference permissions characteristics that also creates a pretty mixed up situation doesn't it ? Not good. I might try to remove libreelec, I'm pretty sure I won't use it anyway cos I already have a jukebox.

I intend that my Pi will be used in many projects probably like a glorified arduino. I just ordered a camera for it too.

Oh and interesting that I CAN copy from the USB to the desktop.
    Last edited by loopyloo; 28-08-21 at 02:35 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loopyloo View Post
    Ah right, directory created by Libreelec. I never thought of that.
    OK So I'm running raspbian, and it sees all of the directories no matter what's created them. If they have difference permissions characteristics that also creates a pretty mixed up situation doesn't it ? Not good. I might try to remove libreelec, I'm pretty sure I won't use it anyway cos I already have a jukebox.

I intend that my Pi will be used in many projects probably like a glorified arduino. I just ordered a camera for it too.

Oh and interesting that I CAN copy from the USB to the desktop.
    In the contrary, it's a very good idea for the purposes of isolation of system privileges. Any media servers under linux tend to create a special user for the purpose, that way the process itself isn't running as root/normal user, and thus is more secure.

It's not 'interesting' you can copy to your desktop ~ that's normal, business as usual -- the pi user 'owns' their own home directory, you can do whatever you want there ; you were trying to copy files to a system server configured path and hadn't setup the pi user account to have access to that area...that simple =)

With an RPi, you tend to choose OS based upon intended purpose, and as fandtm666 points out, ubuntu might be better suited for your purpose, see -->

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (02-09-21)

Thanks

Getting there.

Thanks

Getting there.

OT I know, but where did you get that snazzy little SD card holder?

• The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (02-09-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    OT I know, but where did you get that snazzy little SD card holder?

I had to scale it to 102% for the best fit.

• The Following User Says Thank You to loopyloo For This Useful Post:

macca (01-09-21)

Thanks

My Pi camera arrived today.
    What's a good program to use it as a webcam, so I can set up focus etc. ?

Premium Member
    Thanks

loopyloo (02-09-21)

Thanks

Thanks but no programs there, just command line stuff.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks but no programs there, just command line stuff.
    So.... you don't want to read and learn? Ever bought a 'bad' RPi camera? I have. How will you know whether or not the camera module is working or not?

You have to at least follow the 'using the desktop' instructions on that page, just to activate the camera ~ you don't want to do the command line stuff there? Fine - no camera for you =)

After the camera is activated and tested, any V4L2 application should work with it - VLC is known to work.

edit: I presume here you're talking about an RPi camera module (connects via ribbon cable) -- I actually use USB cameras for webcam like jobs, just because long cable and easier mounting
    Last edited by wotnot; 01-09-21 at 09:00 PM.

loopyloo (02-09-21)

Thanks

So.... you don't want to read and learn? Ever bought a 'bad' RPi camera? I have. How will you know whether or not the camera module is working or not?

You have to at least follow the 'using the desktop' instructions on that page, just to activate the camera ~ you don't want to do the command line stuff there? Fine - no camera for you =)

After the camera is activated and tested, any V4L2 application should work with it - VLC is known to work.

edit: I presume here you're talking about an RPi camera module (connects via ribbon cable) -- I actually use USB cameras for webcam like jobs, just because long cable and easier mounting
    I bought the HQ Pi camera.
    Yes I already used the command to activate the camera for checking and it works fine.
    No, I don't want to use command all the time. I do enough brain racking stuff around here without adding to it. Computers are meant to make things easier aren't they ? I'm already annoyed by the ridiculous number of times I've had to enter my password in linux. (future swear words will be substituted with #)

So I found this program
    but it also takes a command line to start it. Now I need to know how to create a desktop shortcut to run it ?

It's like this :
    Directory ...... /home/pi/PiCameraApp-master/Source/
    Program ....... PiCameraApp.py
    Run by Python3 I believe.

So I think the command line would be : sudo python3 /home/pi/PiCameraApp-master/Source/PiCameraApp.py
    Tell me if I'm wrong. Anyway how do I put that into a desktop shortcut ? I can't find a way to do that.

PS other reference ......

Oh and by the way, I looked at VLC but couldn't find any way of accessing the camera.
    Last edited by loopyloo; 02-09-21 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks

Must be doing something wrong.
    Doing, sudo python3 /home/pi/PiCameraApp-master/Source/PiCameraApp.py , from anywhere gives errors,
    but If I change directory to, /home/pi/PiCameraApp-master/Source/ , then run, sudo python3 PiCameraApp.py , the program runs as it should.

Premium Member
    Thanks

So I found this program
    but it also takes a command line to start it. Now I need to know how to create a desktop shortcut to run it ?

It's like this :
    Directory ...... /home/pi/PiCameraApp-master/Source/
    Program ....... PiCameraApp.py
    Run by Python3 I believe.

So I think the command line would be : sudo python3 /home/pi/PiCameraApp-master/Source/PiCameraApp.py
    Tell me if I'm wrong. Anyway how do I put that into a desktop shortcut ? I can't find a way to do that.
    Did VLC not work?

In the readme file for the picamera app, it states ;

Code:
    ## Installation

Download the zip file and extract to a directory of your choosing. To run, open a terminal, change to the directory
     containing the source files, and enter **sudo python PiCameraApp.py** or **sudo python3 PiCameraApp.py**.
    I'll just imagine the python script may depend on $pwd going by what the author says, so likely the correct command is... cd ~/PiCameraApp-master/Source && sudo python3 PiCameraApp.py ...at a guess.

I'm pretty sure the only way to directly create a desktop launcher (with icon) wrt raspbian, is via commandline using the cat command (create/push a desktop entry file into the ~/.config/desktop whatever)

I suppose the desktop alternative, is Preferences -> Main Menu Editor, add/configure it there, so it appears in the main menu as an item, then you can drag&drop from the menu onto the desktop to form a link

loopyloo (02-09-21)

Thanks

Did VLC not work?

In the readme file for the picamera app, it states ;

Code:
    ## Installation

Download the zip file and extract to a directory of your choosing. To run, open a terminal, change to the directory
     containing the source files, and enter **sudo python PiCameraApp.py** or **sudo python3 PiCameraApp.py**.
    I'll just imagine the python script may depend on $pwd going by what the author says, so likely the correct command is... cd ~/PiCameraApp-master/Source && sudo python3 PiCameraApp.py ...at a guess.

I'm pretty sure the only way to directly create a desktop launcher (with icon) wrt raspbian, is via commandline using the cat command (create/push a desktop entry file into the ~/.config/desktop whatever)

I suppose the desktop alternative, is Preferences -> Main Menu Editor, add/configure it there, so it appears in the main menu as an item, then you can drag&drop from the menu onto the desktop to form a link
    You are spot on.
    That command worked well.

So I went to the main editor and got this :

Gave it a name. Put in your command. Gave it a description. Even found an icon. Now I don't know what's happening (again) as the OK button Isn't active.
    Also tried browsing 'command' directly to PiCameraApp.py but ok not active still.
    Last edited by loopyloo; 02-09-21 at 07:58 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yeah, seems what I supposed isn't quite the alternative I thought it was - as I mentioned way back, not often I used these from the desktop perspective, so it's all scratch and sniff for me - running raspbian in a VM on a debian host desktop... sudo apt install mc works in raspbian fine, so I'm happy.

The reason the menu editor won't go 'OK' is because it's looking for a target executable, not a python script or command invocation string. Thus, I think the only way would be to create a small bash script/wrapper to invoke it to launch the command, and mark that file executable, and then point the menu editor back to that file...

...// a few minutes later...

Oh ffs, there it is!....LOL ...what an obscured process, I'm glad I use XFCE.... surely the raspbian crew documented this somewhere... goodgrief, it seems not, at least not that I can find, 'how to create desktop launcher raspbian' would be a logical string search, gets lots of hits too, but I'd expect it to be on the raspbian wiki somewhere...hmmmm....oh well, it is what it is I guess... you know, I always get the impression that raspbian is put together with this underlying vibe of "use the shell Luke, may the CLI be with you" kinda leaning behind it...anyhoo... point&click world version ....create a new file on the desktop, give it a name/icon, open it with the text editor, and type in the command line required and save out, go to file properties, set the file executable in the permissions tab, use the 'open with' widget on the general tab and select 'customize', and that pops up another window, where you can select the custom command panel, where you can set bash to open and execute the command typed into the file (I'm not too sure if you could call the command directly from here)...or something like this.

...using mc, this is ..open terminal, type mc, navigate to dir/file, hit F2, type in sudo, hit enter .... I'm done =)

loopyloo (03-09-21)

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123