Thread: Gotta Buy a New Phone

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Default Gotta Buy a New Phone

Alright....covid wins again and I have to get a new phone so the bloody checkin app works. It just laughs at my old Samsung s4 mini......

My choice, given that I feel I may as well get 5G is a Samsung A52 5G, mid range cost wise.....

Anyone heard anything bad?
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

It's probably more than a few hundred $$ greater than what I'd ever spend on a phone, so that could be bad =)

I just had a look at a teardown vid, and they're not too bad to get into with a plastic back cover, but typically I won't buy a phone that needs a heat gun and suction cup to get them apart (only because for more than a decade clipin back covers have been fine for me =) It's always worth looking under the bonnet if you can -->

I can't sell myself on 5G at the moment, due to my rural situation and the very real expectation that 6G will be out before we get 5G coverage here, and even in saying that, getting 5G coverage nationally to the same point 4G is at now, is something like 5years away at best, and I'd hunch 6G will be out by them, the only saving grace being it'll work on existing 5G infrastructures. Whenever you read that, you know they're not talking about end-user devices like phones, and so if you poke a bit in that direction, the 5G chipsets appearing in phones now, 'should be hardware compatible' with the 6G standard but 'may require a firmware update' .. and I went 'hmmm' .. I suppose if you live in an area with 5G coverage, you paint a different picture, but just being able to use the checkin app would be something I'd buy a cheap 4G phone for.. 8)

I'd have to ask. is it laughing at your S4 mini, or just at OS version? If the latter, flash the S4 mini with android10 AOSP firmware image, and install/try the checkin app again. It's a somewhat non-trivial process, but I've done it numerous times* -->

*not specifically on the S4 mini, but the process is basically the same for all android phones

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

enf (27-08-21)

Thanks

Hey enf

most phones these days are focusing on the camera, data and the phone is really a second "component" of the device
    If you are happy with the product and it satisfies the "out of pocket" component - then go for it

f
    有段者

• The Following User Says Thank You to freakee1 For This Useful Post:

enf (27-08-21)

Thanks

what about oppo, xiaomi, poco phones? my wife is using a realme which was on special at jbhi awhile ago. seems to go really well.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

the huawei p30 lite is a very good phone and still has google playstore

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

I didn't really want anything made in China....my tiny and futile protest for f*cking up the world.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I didn't really want anything made in China....my tiny and futile protest for f*cking up the world.
    I guess you're not buying any yank stuff then either then LOL.

I had to replace my aging Samsung S5 a little while ago, not that it had any problems with the Services NSW Covid checkin, it was just having battery problems, and I haven't had great experience with replacement batteries in any other devices. Ended up with a Samsung A31. It was cheap enough at the time ($400ish?) and way better than the old S5.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Good luck with that......

Are there any phones that arent made in china ?

Maybe some mase in Taiwan?

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

gulliver (30-08-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    Good luck with that......

Are there any phones that arent made in china ?

Maybe some mase in Taiwan?
    Place of manufacture is virtually inconsequential ~ Samsung 'galaxy' devices are all made in Taiwan, using chinese components ; the question is, are *any* phones made without chinese components?

..well, there's this...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

gulliver (30-08-21),Uncle Fester (31-08-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I bought a Motorola 5G plus. Usually around the $400 mark but was on special for $330. Quite responsive, great camera, has exceeded my expectations for the price! So I bought another for the partner and she's over the moon compared to her old phone.

I had a Nokia 7.2. Terrible colors on camera. I bought some cheaper Nokia's for the kids and they are very slow and camera's also very sluggish.

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

gulliver (30-08-21)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Place of manufacture is virtually inconsequential ~ Samsung 'galaxy' devices are all made in Taiwan, using chinese components ; the question is, are *any* phones made without chinese components?

..well, there's this...

It makes my toenails grow inwards when I see people using that phone totally wrong in the image.

If China would shut shop and conquer Taiwan the whole world would be screwed.
    Not even a car could be made.

There is currently a global chip crunch.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

I've had my Doogee S96 Pro now over 6 months and it is the best.
    This thing really is ruggedised and heavy, not only looks it, just what the doctor ordered.
    I even get more bars in the bush than my wife's Samsung.
    Battery lasts two weeks with me. Games run fast, screen is brilliant don't need baziilion pixels but the camera has 48 million, which is not bad for a cheapie + true infra red is fun(again bush, finding the critters).
    Best is you can totally take it apart WITH SCREWS if you ever need to fix it!
    Real waterproof seals, no sticky tape Samsung/Huawei/iPhone crap.
    I swear by THE RIGHT TO REPAIR!

Never going to touch those sensitive throwaway girly phones again.

Sorry not for you enf, no 5G.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 31-08-21 at 12:40 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post

..well, there's this...

You are wrong there, all our Iron ore is shipped to china, and then sold back to us as tin cans. What's the bet that the string was made in China, too..... (I'll go and hide now.)
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...