Thread: DTV antenna suitable for multiple locations.

Thanks

Default DTV antenna suitable for multiple locations.

I have a caravan that has a Winegard antenna (rotatable) fitted, but it is next to useless because it is built for analogue TV. There is a digital conversion available for 2-300 dollars, but it gets mediocre to poor reviews.
    Given the width of the DTV spectrum across Australia, I guess it is a big ask for an antenna to give good results across it, so I am wondering if there is a small-ish yagi design with suitable elements for a reasonable spread?
    If it isn't yet apparent, I have to say that I am out of my depth in the waters of antenna theory, so try not to laugh out loud ;-)
    Is it possible to build a yagi with for example, a pair of directors for higher channels, a pair behind that for medium channels and a pair behind that for lower channels, then the main element, then a reflector behind that, with the various directors wired together to the main element?
    Or even better, is there a suitable wide spectrum yagi that has so far eluded my hours of searching?

The main physical constraints are length around 1200mm, width around 600mm, and has to lay fairly flat on the roof when lowered.

Cheers :-)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Firstly, there is no such thing as analogue or digital antennas... regardless of what marketing BS may claim.

Antennas can't tell the difference between the type of signal, just the frequency bands they are designed to receive.

All caravan-type antennas are designed to work in reasonably good signal areas, so you can't expect them to be great when in marginal signal areas.

They are wideband, which is a compromise, but needed for moving to numerous locations.

Then you have vertical and horizontal polarised signals, which the antenna should be matched with for best results.

There is no magic one-antenna-does-all solution as there are so many variables with frequencies, polarisation, power levels, terrain and obstacles changing locations.

Eg: some areas use only VHF, other areas are all UHF and some areas use a mix of both.

Does your Winegard antenna have an amplifier/booster... and is it actually working?

I've seen many caravan antennas with failed signal amps, or not getting power to them and/or faulty cables and connectors, so it's possible you may just have a fault somewhere.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

ptrott (02-09-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Firstly, there is no such thing as analogue or digital antennas... regardless of what marketing BS may claim.
    Antennas can't tell the difference between the type of signal, just the frequency bands they are designed to receive.

mtv How wrong have I been all this time.
    I thought antennas were just like my son with having selective hearing.

Back to OP.

Exactly what MTV mentioned; will also add in to check the cable.

- What type of coax is being used, or is it like a flat ribbon type?
    - Check the full length of the coax for cuts, twists and bends that could indicate damage?
    - Check all connections, plugs and joins from the antenna through to the caravan wall outlet, including the amplifier.
    - Look out for rust in the antenna, amplifier, connections, joins and plugs.
    - When looking at connections/joins, look for any fraying of the outer braid and that it is NOT touching the inner core.
    - Sometimes it could be as simple as the cable being used from the wall outlet to the TV.

Do you or someone you know have a multi-meter?
    If you have one, put it on Continuity Test and check for open and close circuit with the coax.
    Google if you're not sure how to use a multi-meter and how to conduct a continuity test on a coaxial cable.

Buying a new antenna could be a waste of money if the coax is faulty.
    Last edited by Xplorer; 02-09-21 at 07:51 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

Thanks for the detailed replies, not what I was hoping for, more like what I expected.
    The Winegard does have an amplifier, and yes it does work. Turning it off is much like unplugging the antenna except when very close to a transmitter, where the amp has to be off to get signal.

I'll do some cable testing as soon as the weather clears up, hopefully the problem is cable related...easy fix ;-)

Cheers.