Thread: Colourised Tasmanian Tiger Footage

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,962 Times in 9,059 Posts

Default Colourised Tasmanian Tiger Footage

It's not much, but I thought some might be interested.....

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (11-09-21),fromaron (10-09-21),gulliver (10-09-21),Tiny (11-09-21)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks

My son has been looking for it for some time.Setting up cameras for a few days.He found some footprints.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gulliver For This Useful Post:

eaglem (11-09-21),enf (10-09-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Yeah, spotted that yesterday ~ it brought back memories of a discussion we had in high-school biology decades ago, about how could anyone possibly create a colour print of an extinct species like dinosaurs, when there is no recorded or living memory around to inform anyone what they actually looked like, or what colour they were. Of course, we came to learn that such images were artistic expression of what people thought they may have looked like, based on the look of other closely related species that continued to evolve and are still around today.

With that in my mind, when I saw the above clip .. I'm immediately reminded of the difference between seeing the Black & White Minstrel show on a monochrome teevee set, and what the same looked like on a colour set =)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

eaglem (11-09-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

There are stuffed specimens and pelts still around, so colour matching shouldn't be a problem.

About 40 years ago I was riding a motorbike out the back of Nile and I saw what I thought was a tassie tiger about 400 Yards away in A paddock.

It had a funny ass down lope, definitely not a dog....

usages.kangaroos.sound

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

eaglem (11-09-21),enf (10-09-21),gulliver (11-09-21)

Thanks

All the old timers down Tassie have a story how they seen a tassie tiger in the last 50 years

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Au_radio For This Useful Post:

eaglem (11-09-21),gulliver (11-09-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Most of them would keep the location quiet I suspect...

usages.kangaroos.sound

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

eaglem (11-09-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,905 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    Most of them would keep the location quiet I suspect...

usages.kangaroos.sound
    Yep, my dad was a log truck driver one stage out the back of Meunna over the Arthur River in the 70’s he and a couple of others saw more than one tiger over there over the years, but no way were they going to report it, too much ridiculing, and didn't want idiots searching there either.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following User Says Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

eaglem (11-09-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post

About 40 years ago I was riding a motorbike out the back of Nile and I saw what I thought was a tassie tiger about 400 Yards away in A paddock.
    Could it be hyena?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

This is another fun one to think about. If tassie tigers are actually extinct, what are people seeing?

I was heading out to bluedog's place one night and there always reports of "The Lithgow panther".
    I came flying around a corner and a big black cat almost got his arse cleaned up. He was a big feral, but not bigger than a small dog.
    Bluedog also has some good evidence or big feral cats. Any normal person could easily believe the cat I saw was much bigger than it actually was and not so normal people could embellish that into a full size panther.

Havening spent a lot of the last 20 years on roads and a lot of back roads, I've seen some crazy shit. But nothing I couldn't explain.
    The most confusing thing I saw was baffling as I came around a corner in a state forest. There was a big wombat with a long tail rolling around in the middle of the road.
    I slowed down and rolled up to it. Thewombat was rolling around like a dog would do on beach sand and seemed to be completely oblivious I was there and the long tail?
    Wombat's don't have tails, so what the fvck is this animal?
    So I got out of the car and walked towards it. Suddenly it stopped and a BIG tiger quoll backed out of the wombats arse covered in bits of wombat meat he looked at me licking his lips and then decided I was a threat and turned and ran up a hill and into the scrub. The wombat which I thought was also one of the largest Ive ever seen, without the quoll inside of it, was now like a deflated tyre.
    I saw a documentary on TV about Tasmanian quolls. They're cute little monsters. Nothing like big arse tiger quolls that are like forest sharks.
    Still very timid and even though they're quite big they stay well away from humans.

Last edited by trash; 10-09-21 at 08:04 PM.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Rosan kobar !

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

eaglem (11-09-21)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

The tassie tiger does not look unlike the dingo. Given Tassies wilderness areas, I'd not be surprised if one did turn up again.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

eaglem (11-09-21)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    I saw a documentary on TV about Tasmanian quolls. They're cute little monsters. Nothing like big arse tiger quolls that are like forest sharks.
    Still very timid and even though they're quite big they stay well away from humans.
    We have one living here like in the pic below, it's behaving like a barn cat, sleeping on the hay (I know it's there every night due to it's fresh skat on the hay), killing the rats & mice, getting some rabbits out in the paddock as well. Sometimes seeing it cantering along in the paddock during the day. Walked right passed the kitchen one afternoon.
    Unfortunately it has learnt to brave our 9000V electric fence & enters the house yard. It cleaned up all my chooks one by one last year, very quietly.
    It keeps well hidden from view now since I confronted it one night. It disappeared out of here quicker than Rocket J Squirrel.
    Unlike my previous experience with a Quoll here, 25 years ago, which killed the lot in one night, 4 chooks & I never saw it or had a problem with a quoll since then until this last year.

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Last edited by Tiny; 11-09-21 at 03:13 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

william10 (12-09-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Yeah, I just lost four chooks in one night, but we all know who is responsible for that one.
    My chooks were coming into my under cover area and stealing the cats food.
    Worse they were then hanging around and shitting on everything. If there is one thing I will not tolerate is an animal that has no concern for where it shits.
    That was two crimes, I put an extra bowl of cat food out on the electric fence controller to teach the chooks a lesson.
    The cats learned quickly, but then would not go near any of the food bowls. Even the plastic ones I had for them.
    The chooks on the other hand steered clear for a week or two and then worked out which bowl was the dangerous one.
    When I stepped outside with bare feet and straight into a big wet chook turd it was the final straw. I got their shed and dragged it out into the paddock and put up a fence around it.
    I then electrified all the food bowls with foil and had some dangling wires as well as having to hit the rooster on the arse with a stick just so he new this was now a dangerous place to be at any time.

They lasted two weeks out there. No fox has come in that close before. The closest has been 100m and he got wind of me before I could unlock the 243.
    I've got a trap set in the chook's pen so if he comes back looking to clean up.

If it was a quoll that had taken my chooks, I would not even be bothered. I like quolls more than I like chooks and the wet rooster turd on my foot at 7am is going to be fresh in my mind for a few years. If I even thought there was a quoll around here I'd be shooting the occasional roo for them.

The tassie quolls look very cute and have personality. I'd be doing everything I could to attract and encourage them if there were some around here.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

gulliver (12-09-21),william10 (12-09-21)