Thread: It seems I am doomed to groundhog day when I start my laptop.

Thanks

Default It seems I am doomed to groundhog day when I start my laptop.

"We couldn't complete the update, undoing changes" now appears every time I start my laptop. It seems W10 is trying and failing to install the same update over and over again. Can I lock out the update?

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

In the Windows 10 search bar, type 'Security and Maintenance', then click the first result to bring up the control panel window. Click the 'Maintenance' title to expand it, then scroll to the 'Automatic Maintenance' section. Click 'Stop maintenance' to halt the update.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Thanks! I just wasted a day and a half "upgrading" a machine to 64bit Whingewoes because a music file I created using Musescore in Linux wouldn't run on 32bit Whingers. I only use whingers because I need iTunes and a couple of other lesser programs that have no Linux equivalent. Of course I had to re-install Linux after that because M$ clobbered my bootloader. (That only took a couple of hours). Now you tell me that "Update" is broken. Heaven help us when W11 is released in a few weeks.......
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    In the Windows 10 search bar, type 'Security and Maintenance', then click the first result to bring up the control panel window. Click the 'Maintenance' title to expand it, then scroll to the 'Automatic Maintenance' section. Click 'Stop maintenance' to halt the update.
    It seems that I can't access the "S and M" while the update is running and "stop maintenance" is not an option while it is not running. Groundhog day all over.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

-sigh-.... win10 sucks so hard...

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

In W10 you need to use the Microsoft tool known as Windows Update Show or Hide (wushowhide.diagcab). This can block updates from being installed.
    Click on the link below & run the program, give it a couple of minutes to search your PC for updates then select Hide Updates, tick the box next to the one/s you want to block, then next & it should block the updates.
    If you select the wrong updates & want to run them, run the program again & select show updates, etc. The updates will then be available.

Safe link to program direct from Microsoft, you can run the program straight from the link or save it & then run it.
    Last edited by Tiny; 01-10-21 at 10:36 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

MrRadio (01-10-21),tristen (03-10-21)

Thanks

Yeah, im also one of those people that take half a day to get a W10 update done.What works for me is deleting the old installation files that were downloaded and then stopping the modules installer process and letting it download again and install immediately after. ALSO as was mentioned Windows 11 is here, and guess what, my system does not support it.... While a little part of me is happy not to have to update now I know I have to eventually just like with 7 to 10.

It's so ironic how when you use the tool they give you to check why your system doesn't make it, new laptops that you can buy...
    Last edited by nesir; 19-10-21 at 04:22 AM.