Thread: BATTERIES - Ladda - Ikea not stocking 2450mAh - Alternative recommendations

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default BATTERIES - Ladda - Ikea not stocking 2450mAh - Alternative recommendations

Ladda batteries are arguably similar/same as Eneloops, but under half the price.

Ikea in Australia used to stock AA in 2450mAh at a decent price.
    Looks like 2450 have been removed and now only stock the 1900mAh.

Q: Does anyone know why Ikea removed 2450 and if they will return?
    Q: What have others found as a suitable AA replacement to Ladda/Eneloops around 2500 capacity?

eBay, AliExpress, Amazon... - who knows what is and isn't real genuine, and those that are genuine copies.

Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,527 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
    Ladda batteries are arguably similar/same as Eneloops, but under half the price.

Q: Does anyone know why Ikea removed 2450 and if they will return?
    Q: What have others found as a suitable AA replacement to Ladda/Eneloops around 2500 capacity?
    Just scraped around the 'net on this -- as a starting side dish, the ikea item you cite is still in stock in some locations in the EU and in the US - this is likely just a distribution thing ; AU is a very small market by comparison.

If you search about enough you can find various folks out there that have tested these ladda cells against what's out there, and by those results the consensus is they are indeed re-wrapped panasonic-eneloop pro cells made in JP. Now, if you look at the panasonic-eneloop cattledog, it seems they've dropped the 2450mah AA in the 'pro' range, and replaced it with a 2550mah cell. Are ikea going to get a batch of those rebranded for the purpose? Who knows...email them =) ... ( I wouldn't email them, I'd ask a mate in SE to ask them if they were going to restock that battery in AU..in swedish =*)

Chatting with someone I know in NL, he says the white ladda cells are discontinued, and have been replaced with the same product in green;

It's a bit odd, capacity of cells is dependent on region -> ...or this, no mention of that ->

Ever feel like asking, "will the real eneloop please stand up?" ...the panasonic enelopp division versus the panasonic consumer batteries division.....and I didn't go looking for CN knockoffs, but little doubt they exist.

For me, if I pull every string & widget (afterpay + ebayplus) my cheapest option would be these -> @ $38

FWIW, I've replaced all of my AA usage with buck-over-lipo rechargeable AA cells (microUSB on side) ~ they'll be more than exaggerating with the 3400mwh rating, and the only real way to get that is to measure, but that said the small lipo in them takes 305mah to go from fully depleted to full charge (at a painfully slow 200 +/-50ma), and 3400mwh@1.5v is about 2200mah, and thinking that a buck converter can get that, from a 305mah lipo as it goes from 4.2v down to cutoff at around 3volts, the beads on the abacus in my mind clatter without result =) In practice they're very unlike convention dry cell batteries, in that there's always 1.5v at the terminal delivering the same current, right up to the moment the lipo reaches 3volt and the buck suddenly switches off ; it makes for a hard comparo. What I find, in say an LED torch, they don't last as long on a charge compared to a name brand alkaline cell, but, they produce the same bright light, for longer...it doesn't get dimmer as the alkaline cell voltage sags, and as best I can figure it their 'usable' capacity is somewhere around the 1800mah @ 1.5v range...as to how many recharge cycles they'll take, I've yet to find out

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Tiny (01-10-21),Xplorer (01-10-21)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Buck inverters in that range have a standby/waste current of 10-30mA + considerable thermo losses at higher currents.
    Assuming a run time of 10 hours on a low drain device, the average loss from the inverter might be 15mA x 10h = 150mAh

The AA Li-Ion with inbuilt USB charge port that reduces the size has (600mAh - 150mAh buck loss) x 3.6V (not aware of LiPo AA's) = 1620mWh

The AA NiMH mentioned above has 2450mAh x 1.2V = 2940mWh

I have been replacing Li-Ion with NiMH on small low drain devices where I can.
    I am actually using boost inverters to get 5V off a single AA as they have only 1-2mA standby current.
    I even have a tiny boost board that uses only 0.5mA.

Long time ago we had a thread here about Joule thief circuits to maximise the energy from a single AA battery.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 01-10-21 at 01:39 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Xplorer (01-10-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks for your responses so far.

wotnot, your ebay link does seem to be the better option, although much dearer than the recent Ikea option.

I'm still on the fence which way to go with sourcing a suitable, reliable and well priced local provider.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,527 Posts

Just rechecking Ikea, it seems they now have them back in stock (but only sold instore) -->