Thread: Ethernet Cabling

Thanks

Default Ethernet Cabling

In Australia it is illegal to DIY ethernet cabling.

Why?
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,508 Posts

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (11-10-21),lsemmens (12-10-21)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

To make it simple.

You can run your own cables, providing none of it passes through walls, etc... only on the surface and you use pre-made cables.

Any cabling that is concealed... through roofs, under floors, though walls, etc is considered fixed cabling and an open cabling licence with a structured cabling endorsement is mandatory.

The same applies if there is any terminating of cables in wallplates, etc.

Why? Because it does, or has the potential to... connect to a carriers' network... yes, even if it's wireless!

The same rules apply to coax cabling that may connect to a network... such as Foxtel satellite as the decoders also connect to a carrier. (Cablers need an open cabling licence with a coaxial cable endorsement.)

The main issue is safety, segregation from other services, just as power, gas, water, sewer etc require licensing.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (11-10-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 576 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,508 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    Links to ~ this crap all gets blocked by my pihole setup, but thanks for letting others know =)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    To make it simple.

You can run your own cables, providing none of it passes through walls, etc... only on the surface and you use pre-made cables.

Why? Because it does, or has the potential to... connect to a carriers' network... yes, even if it's wireless!
    Um?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guiseppe View Post
    Um?
    Welcome to the nanny state.

I’m on fibre to the premises, so there is no electrical connection between my computer gear and the NBN system. Apparently, if I do my own ethernet cabling (something I did perfectly legally and competently for clients up until about 1997 when a cabling ticket was required), the world will end, the Moon will crash into the Sun and it will be the end of life as we know it.

I’ve seen so called licensed cabling experts make an amazing mess of ethernet cabling too, so the system clearly isn’t working to protect anyone’s safety.

At least it’s still legal for me to run my own coax to my TV antenna, even though the TV is connected to my wired ethernet network, which in turn connects to my NBN gear. See how absurd it all gets?
    Last edited by shred; 12-10-21 at 02:17 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (12-10-21),lsemmens (12-10-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Welcome to the nanny state.
    Succinctly answers my, "Why?".
    Last edited by Guiseppe; 12-10-21 at 10:39 AM.

• 26-01-22, 06:21 PM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guiseppe View Post
    In Australia it is illegal to DIY ethernet cabling.

Why?

1. So Govt. can regulate an industry that they fear will bring in more cowboys than it already has
    2. $$$ for regulation
    3. $$$ for RTOs to train us all
    4. We live in an over-regulated country - plumbing, gas, electrical, security are all DIY in most other countries except Aus
    5. There is a small fear that poor cabling will lead to death and destruction. I have actually seen a light wired with coax cable (centre core running active and braid running neutral) and if I was a TV cable guy and just thught it was redundant TV cable and snipped it...well!!! that would be nasty.

So there you have it, 5 reasons why we regulate it. Do I agree with it ? Nope, Do I have a registration to do it ? Yep! and did I need skills to become registered ? Nope! Did i need to prove my experience of 300/600 hours ? Nope!.

However there are things one picks up along the way that a layman may not know and it's handy to have proper industry experience when working with ethernet cabling. Poor product choice is one thing I find common from bad sockets to Copper Clad Aluminium cable circulating on ebay....so perhaps some regulation isn't always so bad.

Finally, it helps consumer's who wish to have cabling installed in their premises' to know that the industry is regulated. Otherwise some people who simply say "we do data cabling" can come along, charge thousands of dollars and not actually know the rules and regs of how it is to be installed in homes and businesses. We have standards so that we don't install cables over the top of pipes, electrical gas, etc. Without regulation we cannot instill these installation ideals.
    Last edited by geedata; 09-02-22 at 05:11 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to geedata For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (10-02-22)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

Only just noticed this thread.
    Well written, geedata.
    For a business to be licensed to protect consumers from being ripped off makes sense.

So if somebody who built their own house 18 years ago and did their own under wall ethernet wiring, they can go to jail or what?
    ...despite the licensed sparky who checked ALL wiring in the house and didn't say it was illegal.

I am astonished we are still allowed to replace the toilet roll ourselves in this country without calling a licensed plumber.
    Only a matter of time when the Unions figure that out too.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 10-02-22 at 11:40 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (11-02-22),shred (10-02-22)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    ...despite the licensed sparky who checked ALL wiring in the house and didn't say it was illegal.
    Licensed cablers are required to document and report any non-compliant cabling.

That's a real joke in itself as the majority of Telstra phone cabling installed by their own techs was/is non-compliant as they just used to throw cables across ceilings/under floors with no segregation between services.

And that work was done and signed off by licensed cablers.

As for plumbing... we are not legally permitted to even change a washer in a tap, so the changing of bog rolls as you say, is not far off.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (10-02-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    That's a real joke in itself as the majority of Telstra phone cabling installed by their own techs was/is non-compliant as they just used to throw cables across ceilings/under floors with no segregation between services.
    I've heard of people cutting off their own phone line while mowing the lawn... so much for burying the cable 300mm deep.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,947 Posts

Yep my "phone line" was in a conduit a couple of inches below the surface in a section....

Was broken in 2 places...

usages.kangaroos.sound

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

Few years back, friend (who lives on 5 acre block) had his phone go out, so the "technician" did a "temporary" fix of running (unjacketted) 4 wire from the pit next door across his front lawn to the house (about 300 meters.) It lasted for approx 3 months before the lawnmower found it. Can't recall how long it took for them to actually come back and fix it "permanently" but it was a few callouts later iIRC.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quite a few years back now, I had 2 lines. One for business, and the other for private use. The private line went down, but it was somewhere off the premises. Called the supplier and they sent out a tech and of course they check out your house wiring first. His first comment was "geez how many phone points do you have?" Me umm I don't know, that was all there when we bought the house..

Good job he didn't follow the lines up to the workshop, where there was a changeover switch that switched the lines between the phone and the ADSL modem. During business hours, the private line was switched to the modem and business line to the phone, after hours it was switched the opposite way around..