Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric vehicle turning point

Thanks

seriously makes no difference until the price point comes down.

ppl will go and buy a kia etc for 1/3 the price and over its life time it would
    cost as much as the ev but spread out over 15 yrs like your solar.

I cant afford to buy one at today's price point and if i needed a new car then i
    would be getting a petrol one because i would refuse to take out finance for a bloody car.

and we still havent really seen what the repair costs would be for an accident etc
    and how much insurance costs will increase due to the high cost of repairs.
    Last edited by fandtm666; 18-11-21 at 08:13 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

wotnot (18-11-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

unfortunately even a 230k tesla has only half the real world range i need to get to the city comfortably.....

ill stick with the trackhawk for now, i can get to the city and back without refuelling in that (auxilary 75l tank fitted).....

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post

I cant afford to buy one at today's price point and if i needed a new car then i
    would be getting a petrol one because i would refuse to take out finance for a bloody car.

and we still havent really seen what the repair costs would be for an accident etc
    and how much insurance costs will increase due to the high cost of repairs.

Well if I didn't already have my second hand PHEV and was considering buying a new car I would be hanging onto my old one a few years longer.
    - Existing preowned EVs will then be available cheaper
    - Cheaper EVs will eventually sneak into Australia but we might need a change of government first.

My insurance is even cheaper than the Nissan diesel I previously owned.
    Saying that repair costs after accidents are higher because they are electric is, sorry just BS.
    Repairs after accidents are expensive with all cars but unlike a combustion engine, battery and electric motors are not so exposed to impact from accidents.
    All modern cars have complex and expensive electrical components that might need replacement after an accident.

If a car gets that badly t-boned so the battery under the floor is damaged then it would have been a write off anyway, petrol or electric with the difference that you still have plenty of time to get out before all the battery cells are burning hard, while your petrol coffin could be instantly engulfed in flames.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 18-11-21 at 09:06 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

It was only ~20 years ago that LPG was slated as the ‘big’ saviour - cheaper running costs, better for the environment, plenty of LPG availability.

New LPG cars were available everywhere, and many were converting their older petrol cars to dual-fuel vehicles to take benefit of the savings.

Yet here we are in 2021, and LPG is essentially dead and buried, with many service stations dropping their LPG availability years ago. I don’t think any new cars are available as ‘LPG’ only, and nobody goes down the dual fuel route anymore.

Now we have EV’s, whose claim is also cheaper running costs, being better for the environment, and having plenty of charging availability.

So a question, will EV’s end up down the same route as LPG?

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Yes, Gas was popular back then. I owned a few gas powered cars and determined that if Gas approached about 3/4 the cost of petrol, the savings were not worth it. Haven't owned a gas powered car for about 15 years.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

gulliver (29-12-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    So a question, will EV’s end up down the same route as LPG?

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Therein lies a question. will this replace petrol ICE? LPG tried, and failed, EV is trying, but is also looking to fail.......
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Apart from that, your link snippet is referring to Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, which Toyota is a bit on an alone track ATM.
    Personally I would not want to be driving around with a pressurised tank of ANY explosive gas in the boot of my car waiting to be rear ended.

Maybe others have similar thoughts regarding LPG also.

Until the technology is commercially available to frack Hydrogen from Ammonia on a small scale directly in the vehicle I do not see a big future for Hydrogen in private vehicles yet.

LOL, Lsemmens, EVs are not failing, only in Australia due to our conservative Gov that is in bed with the fossil fuel lobbies.
    The rest of the world is proving that EVs are a great success and there is no slowing down.

Many car makers want to phase out ICEs by the end of the decade, some even earlier but they will be happy to dump all the stinkers here that they can't sell elsewhere.
    I don't think anybody here needs to panic yet. New spare parts could eventually become a problem.
    As Toyota does not seem to jump on the EV bandwagon they would be my suggestion for ICE longevity.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 01-12-21 at 06:07 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Therein lies a question. will this replace petrol ICE? LPG tried, and failed, EV is trying, but is also looking to fail.......
    The share market does not agree with your statement

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (01-12-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

'zero emission vehicles'....

Thanks

'zero emission vehicles'....

That smart arse in the video is an insult to intelligence and his ancient distorted views against progress are as useful as goiter.
    Just had to be said.

Everything we currently make creates emissions.
    It is about all the shit that comes out of the exhaust of petrol guzzlers for it's lifetime compared to zero emissions coming out of an EV when they talk about zero em.

Nothing more nothing less.

It is not the EV owner's fault that our gov is so pro coal and anti-renewables when it comes to electricity generation but some are onto it like me, who drive at least 99% zero emission.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

william10 (29-12-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    It is not the EV owner's fault that our gov is so pro coal and anti-renewables when it comes to electricity generation but some are onto it like me, who drive at least 99% zero emission.
    Oh, I agree, it's not the EV owner's fault ...for instance, would I drive/own an EV? Absolutely, my transport needs fit well within the operational envelope of today's EVs, no problem at all ....but could I ever afford to buy one? Nope =) The govt. has to do that much to get me into an EV ; buy the thing for me!! For sure, if one isn't over 60 and on the pension, and looking at a new car purchase -- different story, but I'm really only interested in the reality that faces me (and a lot of others no doubt)...EVs simply cost too much, wrt to the amount of 2ndhand cheap IC engined vehicles out there.

Which is something they're going to need work on...ie; would I buy a 2ndhand EV? Well...currently depends on the state of the battery pack really ....ie; buy a 2ndhand ICE car with blown motor? Sure, head to the wrecking yard and buy a good 2ndhand engine ; I'm not exactly seeing the same future for EVs, but that's OK -- I'll be pushing up the daisies by the time Wanless Wrecking has a yard full of EVs (and what's the bet all the battery packs are either knackered or already removed =)

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (29-12-21),Uncle Fester (29-12-21),william10 (29-12-21)

Premium Member

Thanks

I am normally a fan boy of John Codigan due to him cutting through the BS and getting to the facts, BUT in this instance i think he may be creating it
    I read the report, it was not a Royal Academy of Engineering report, nor was it a Ricardo Report written by Pro Neville Jackson. It was a report written by LowCVP for Ricardo, paid by existing car makers and the petro chemical industry (paragraph 2) ie he who pays calls the tune
    The only reference to the Prof is in inverted commas (paragraph 7 & 8) stating basically more has to be done to reliably measure CO2 emissions in future car production, he did not create the figures and it is not verified as to how they came to those figures
    I am not disputing the figures, may be right, may be wrong
    The major criticism are the words "whole of life" of vehicle. What does that mean, one year, 5 years or 10 years. IF as expected a BEV lasts twice as long as an ICE vehicle, can you conclude that CO2 emissions are going to half as much again ?
    Also note the age of the test vehicle, how can you compare a test sample that is 7 years old to todays offerings
    I would term this report a weasel report
    Be interesting when green steel and aluminum come into production as to how the CO2 figures drop!
    For some one that self promotes his intellect, i find this clip disappointing!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (29-12-21),william10 (29-12-21)

Thanks

Which is something they're going to need work on...ie; would I buy a 2ndhand EV? Well...currently depends on the state of the battery pack really ....ie; buy a 2ndhand ICE car with blown motor? Sure, head to the wrecking yard and buy a good 2ndhand engine ;
    And here is another major difference between ICE and EV.
    An 'end of life' EV battery pack can still drive the car around for many years, albeit initially with 70% capacity.
    A f'cked ICE will not.

Premature cell failure is very rare but lemons happen.
    However there is no need to blow them up with explosives when that happens
    Individual cell bank replacement is possible and the BMS can be programmed to match with the old.
    5.3kWh banks for Tesla can even be ordered on Ebay, for a reasonable price:
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 29-12-21 at 11:14 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

What's the highest mileage ev on record?

I have a 2010falcon Ute with well over a million km on it.

usages.kangaroos.sound

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    What's the highest mileage ev on record?

I have a 2010falcon Ute with well over a million km on it.

usages.kangaroos.sound
    There are Tesla EV’s in the USA with 800,000km + on them - with the only (reported) maintenance costs being tyres, wheel alignments and wiper blades/water.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Where did you get that info? all the high mileage examples I can find reported have had multiple motors and battery packs fitted....

usages.kangaroos.sound

Premium Member

Thanks

BYD (remember that name as they soon will be the number two vehicle manufacturer in the world) guarantee their batteries to 60% capacity up to 500,000km or they will replace them
    Hoe, I think you live in Kalgoorlie so a BEV would not be of interest to you at the moment, but for my wife as the second car around town, I live in Suburbia, would be ideal.
    If you could run your fleet on cheap electricity image the cost savings
    Until they bring in a 4 x 4 that does a 1000 k's on a single charge i wont be getting rid of my Ranger.

Thanks

I am curious to see how this turns out. Elon Musk is building his new supercity in Texas and I would be shocked if it didn't revolutionize the EV industry in the US.

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast