Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric vehicle turning point

Thanks

seriously makes no difference until the price point comes down.

ppl will go and buy a kia etc for 1/3 the price and over its life time it would
    cost as much as the ev but spread out over 15 yrs like your solar.

I cant afford to buy one at today's price point and if i needed a new car then i
    would be getting a petrol one because i would refuse to take out finance for a bloody car.

and we still havent really seen what the repair costs would be for an accident etc
    and how much insurance costs will increase due to the high cost of repairs.
    Last edited by fandtm666; 18-11-21 at 08:13 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

wotnot (18-11-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,722 Posts

unfortunately even a 230k tesla has only half the real world range i need to get to the city comfortably.....

ill stick with the trackhawk for now, i can get to the city and back without refuelling in that (auxilary 75l tank fitted).....
    https://www.speedtest.net/result/d/7...193b4402e8.png

FTTN, 710m line length, bit faster now with draytek modem....

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,977 Times in 2,265 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post

I cant afford to buy one at today's price point and if i needed a new car then i
    would be getting a petrol one because i would refuse to take out finance for a bloody car.

and we still havent really seen what the repair costs would be for an accident etc
    and how much insurance costs will increase due to the high cost of repairs.

Well if I didn't already have my second hand PHEV and was considering buying a new car I would be hanging onto my old one a few years longer.
    - Existing preowned EVs will then be available cheaper
    - Cheaper EVs will eventually sneak into Australia but we might need a change of government first.

My insurance is even cheaper than the Nissan diesel I previously owned.
    Saying that repair costs after accidents are higher because they are electric is, sorry just BS.
    Repairs after accidents are expensive with all cars but unlike a combustion engine, battery and electric motors are not so exposed to impact from accidents.
    All modern cars have complex and expensive electrical components that might need replacement after an accident.

If a car gets that badly t-boned so the battery under the floor is damaged then it would have been a write off anyway, petrol or electric with the difference that you still have plenty of time to get out before all the battery cells are burning hard, while your petrol coffin could be instantly engulfed in flames.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 18-11-21 at 09:06 PM.
    I am an arrogant, irritating RSole.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12