Thread: Loss of HDMI - Old LG Plasma

Thanks

Default Loss of HDMI - Old LG Plasma

I have a 10 yo LG Plasma model 50PS8OED.

Has always worked well but I do watch it through a Fetch Mighty box to get all the newer channels and to multi record. The set top box and TV are connected via HDMI.

Was watching all OK this afternoon then switched off and went outside - came back in a while later switched it all back on and TV said it could not get a signal on the HDMI channel - checked the other 3 HDMI channels and the same - antenna input was OK.

Assumed the set top box was at fault as it was showing the record light but reset it and plugged it into another tv and was all good.

Back to the TV tried other equipment with different cables in different ports but got the same result - the HDMI ports display OK in the menu and the TV knows when a cable is plugged in - just not receiving and signals.

Before I bin this TV and buy a new one, any suggestions on what I might have a look at?

Thanks

Mitzo

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Thread moved to correct section.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Buy a new TV, you know you want a bigger screen...........
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Buy a new TV, you know you want a bigger screen...........
    +1

Made 2009, can only find used parts available, most likely failure of mainboard, likely not worth cost of repair attempt (part# EBU60682701) - can only find 1 on scumtree, $150

Thanks

Thanks for the comments - yes an old TV but up to now has been fine as it is just used as a monitor off the Fetch settop box which does most of the technical stuff I need. So was hoping there might have been an easy solution before it is consigned to the bin.

And I believe I have found two oprions.

1. The AV video and audio ports still work so I will get a $10 HDMI to AV converter and give it a go.

2. A few years back the TV was in for repair and they replaced (part# EBU60682701) Mainboard but it did not fix the issue - which is not relevant with the Fetch box anyway. I have that old mainboard so if the HDMI to AV converter is not a good option then I will try the old mainboard.

If no luck then to the bin.

Thanks

Mitzo

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Have fun! Is there a VGA port on the TV? What about the fetch box? You may be able to get by with VGA.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mitzo View Post
    Thanks for the comments - yes an old TV but up to now has been fine as it is just used as a monitor off the Fetch settop box which does most of the technical stuff I need. So was hoping there might have been an easy solution before it is consigned to the bin.

And I believe I have found two oprions.

1. The AV video and audio ports still work so I will get a $10 HDMI to AV converter and give it a go.

2. A few years back the TV was in for repair and they replaced (part# EBU60682701) Mainboard but it did not fix the issue - which is not relevant with the Fetch box anyway. I have that old mainboard so if the HDMI to AV converter is not a good option then I will try the old mainboard.

If no luck then to the bin.
    In my mind, one tends to suspect the hdmi/video mux (square IC just above HDMI ports) has screwed up somehow, but in saying that I know the screw up could be communication loss between it an the main controller MCU, or it's power supply rail has folded (shorted SMD cap).

That said, plasma sets run pretty warm, and are subject to greater thermal cycle stresses (contraction/expansion of solder joints), and you have indicated the fault occurred after long time running/turn off cool down/turn on again cycle.

I did a search just on LG teevee mainboards and manufacture soldering woes, and turned up this result ->

Now, I'm going to presume a number of the comments/replies are credible, especially those where the poster replies months later, indicating the oven bake worked but now something else has screwed up.

Regardless of how...'heretic'... the outlined reflow repair may seem, if it works it points to the real problem... soldering of some component(s) to PCB fail after so many thermal cycles. As it is a reflow operation, one should be using solder flux during process - failing to do this can result in brittle joints of the lead-free solder they use (I think oxidization when hot is the cause), and can cause problems later on after 'x' number of heat cycles.

In any event, just before you flip it to e-waste, you're in an ideal situation to give it a try ... and let us know how it pans out =)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

ammlione (19-10-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mitzo View Post
    I have a 10 yo LG Plasma model 50PS8OED.

...Before I bin this TV and buy a new one, any suggestions on what I might have a look at?
    Mitzo
    If you can access a service remote control, you may want to try EDID download. Back in the day, I did have success with this procedure when confronted with HDMI issues.
    The EDID can become corrupted causing handshaking to fail with HDMI sources. The backup EDID is stored locally and is restored to the HDMI switch memory via the download procedure:

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Thanks

Just to close this thread. I received my $9.50 HDMI to AV converter and it works great - now have full functionality back. The system is not limited to 1080p resolution which is a little noticeable when reading text on the screen but when watching video is fine for my viewing.

Thanks for the input and suggestions, much appreciated.

Mitzo