Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A 'Browser' "Tab-a-Holic" hahaha

Banned
    Thanks

Default A 'Browser' "Tab-a-Holic" hahaha

I use nothing but 'FireFox' browser now, for a long time. I'm not saying that 'that' changes anything here, but my new(old) Laptop
    which I am using now, amongst a plethora of other goodies, has 24-Gb Ram. I 'like' that, because I often run a lot of high usage apps
    simultaneously, and it doesn't suffer!! However, I'm a bit of a 'Tab-a-Holic' with Browsers!! I know about, and 'do' often create such
    bookmarks etc, split into various topics, but I can't help leaving many 'Tabs' open, to immediately get back to Daily!!!

However, I now have 273 Tabs open, that I keep going over, to try & reduce... sigh... I like to instantly jump between all my Music
    YouTube links, to Forums, Tech research pages, funny stuff etc etc. So far, my 'Browser' has 'zero' complaints & is still so fast!!!

Maybe I need to further 'trim' things down, and get some sanity back !!??

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I, too, run Firefox, but rather than keep a gazillion tabs open, I use "Group Speed Dial" add on which is a form of book marker. Might be worth investigation.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (27-10-21)

Thanks

Yes, create a home page with folder tree like structure - problem solved.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fromaron For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (29-10-21)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Try Opera browser, it has a built in speed dial for the home page, you just add them like favourites. If you have a lot of speed dial icons, set them to small size for more in the page view.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (29-10-21),Uncle Fester (28-10-21)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Back in 'Those Old Days' I mainly used Opera too as it was far ahead of any other browser and others only stole their features later particularly speed dial and a bookmarks bar that had only tiny symbols to identify the webpages so a lot would fit in at one glance for easy access.
    Yeah I think it was Opera first where you could export all your bookmarks to an html file.
    Also used Opera a long time even later when it arrived on Android (Opera Mini) until it unfortunately became adware.

Today it is only the DuckDuckGo app and Viber that are allowed to go online on my phone, period
    The DuckDuckGo Android browser keeps all the tabs open in tiny windows of the site for easy identification.

For the PC many browsers have stolen Opera's speed dial feature. I use the Epic Browser (for security) and Vivaldi (nicer interface).
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 28-10-21 at 11:42 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (29-10-21)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Back in 'Those Old Days' I mainly used Opera too as it was far ahead of any other browser and others only stole their features later particularly speed dial and a bookmarks bar that had only tiny symbols to identify the webpages so a lot would fit in at one glance for easy access.
    Yeah I think it was Opera first where you could export all your bookmarks to an html file.
    Also used Opera a long time even later when it arrived on Android (Opera Mini) until it unfortunately became adware.

Today it is only the DuckDuckGo app and Viber that are allowed to go online on my phone, period
    The DuckDuckGo Android browser keeps all the tabs open in tiny windows of the site for easy identification.

For the PC many browsers have stolen Opera's speed dial feature. I use the Epic Browser (for security) and Vivaldi (nicer interface).

Yea... It always amazes me over the years, how far 'Search-Engines' have come!!!!
    I think I can comfortably say that probably 99.5 % of everyone I know or talk to has never even heard of the likes of "DuchDuckGo"
    When the Internet first 'started', anyone who was anyone only used/had(?) 'AltaVista'... Wow, that was so long ago, but 'naive' then too!
    The 'Internet' is a strange beast... but it is NOT a charity... 'Google' makes many Billions of dollars from advertising, but we can ignore that
    if we only follow the information that we want/ask. Do they know 'everything' about you though?, and target you accordingly??... Yep...

It's funny, but If I forget where I was/went in say 2015, I can find it with 'Google'!! It's all there!!! I rented such-&-such a rented car, travelled
    to THIS place & that place... stopped 2 days at 'such&such' an address & went back to an Airport on 'blaa-blaaa. I actually think it is funny!!!
    Mainly because I have nothing to hide. Though I 'know' how to erase all that, if I want.

Premium Member
    Thanks

i still use opera i think i started with ver.3 i also have Vivaldi which is put out by the part of the original opera group that broke away because they felt opera was moving to far away from it's roots

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ah-Those-Old-Days! View Post
    It's funny, but If I forget where I was/went in say 2015, I can find it with 'Google'!! It's all there!!! I rented such-&-such a rented car, travelled
    to THIS place & that place... stopped 2 days at 'such&such' an address & went back to an Airport on 'blaa-blaaa. I actually think it is funny!!!
    Mainly because I have nothing to hide. Though I 'know' how to erase all that, if I want.
    'Ignoring the right to privacy and saying you have nothing to hide is like not caring about free speech because you have nothing to say.'

Do you also leave your doors and windows unlocked when you leave the house?

Do you really want all that data and profiles collected from you sold to third parties, telemarketers and scammers?

Are you sure you can trust our governments and politicians controlled by big corporations with all that info(and so much more you haven't a clue about) so they can use it to manipulate you and filter what you can see and do?

Have you thought about how easy it would be to misuse this data against you, deliberately or mistakenly?

If any of above might sound concerning to you I would suggest at least to use the DuckDuckGo search engine(can be integrated into Firefox) instead of Google which also gives better results not dependent on Googles adware features. There ARE also alternative options for other Google services that work very well like OpenStreetMap which can work offline. I never enable Wifi on my phone.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 29-10-21 at 11:30 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

LSemmens
    Thanks

Actually Firefox has not included google as the default search engine for some time. You actually have to manually add it. The default (IIRC - is Yahoo, with the option of DDG).

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 Times in 1,529 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Actually Firefox has not included google as the default search engine for some time. You actually have to manually add it. The default (IIRC - is Yahoo, with the option of DDG).
    Wrong, they had to drop yahoo (law case) and switched to 'promoting' google in the default source tree, as allegedly google gives them a donation for doing so.

When I say 'promoting', I'm referring to binary builds/releases of the FF browser, wherein the default URL for the search engine is stipulated in the configuration schema (xml) of the build tree source code at compile time ...ie; if one grabs the source code and configures it themselves to whatever search engine they want, and compile it, the resultant binary release will use that 'default' search engine instead.

Typically one doesn't do this (compiling the mozilla tree was a pita last time I did it), because it's easy enough to change as part of user params ; in this way, they ensure the browser product isn't tied or hardcoded to use google. One kind of has to look at it like buying a new car -- you typically get whatever tyre brand/type fitted to the car, but you can change your tyres anytime you want, to whatever brand/type you prefer.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Just a bi line from the above comments- Watched a clip where the following was claimed
    Google, Facebook etc caught up in the present governments attempt to make them accountable to pay for news feeds etc and to place limitations on their content
    have altered their algorithm so that Murdoch and Fairfax (Channel 9) feeds plus liberal content are now towards the bottom of the pile
    I don't know if it is my imagination, but feeds like The Friendly Jordies etc now seem more prominent ?????
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

LSemmens
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Wrong, they had to drop yahoo (law case) and switched to 'promoting' google in the default source tree, as allegedly google gives them a donation for doing so.

When I say 'promoting', I'm referring to binary builds/releases of the FF browser, wherein the default URL for the search engine is stipulated in the configuration schema (xml) of the build tree source code at compile time ...ie; if one grabs the source code and configures it themselves to whatever search engine they want, and compile it, the resultant binary release will use that 'default' search engine instead.

Typically one doesn't do this (compiling the mozilla tree was a pita last time I did it), because it's easy enough to change as part of user params ; in this way, they ensure the browser product isn't tied or hardcoded to use google. One kind of has to look at it like buying a new car -- you typically get whatever tyre brand/type fitted to the car, but you can change your tyres anytime you want, to whatever brand/type you prefer.
    Why is it then, that on EVERY iteration of Firefox (LINUX and Wingewoes) that I have installed for the last few years have required me to actually click on "find more search engines" to add google to my search list? I'm not doubting your information as it appears that FF&Google do have agreements. Something odd here.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Why is it then, that on EVERY iteration of Firefox (LINUX and Wingewoes) that I have installed for the last few years have required me to actually click on "find more search engines" to add google to my search list? I'm not doubting your information as it appears that FF&Google do have agreements. Something odd here.
    Well...I'd like to blame it on all that wackybacky you've been smoking my friend, that led you to being out of your mind... B^)

The reality however, or some confusion as it were, is what one defines as being the 'default search engine'...m'kay? Fortunately you've caught me at an opportune time to demonstrate this, as I'm in the midst of yet another machinefest, and I have clean, virgin installs of Debian 11 & win10 (1804 from recovery drive) sitting around me waiting for the next meep...

...now... to -me- ...the default search engine is what action is taken by the browser when presented with a particular URI --- that URI is the format/string of text entered into the address box... easy way to demo this, is the win10 instance wherein I have to manually install FF myself, and when installation is complete, it runs, and you're presented with 2 tabs, 1 a welcoming, the other the security notification....

...clicking on the welcoming tab, I see this....(latest FF release installed minutes ago)....in ghosted grey text in the address box...

...subtle, isn't it? =)

...now....with the Debian 11 build of firefox-esr, they go to a bit more effort configuring the xml schemas at build time, and on the first time start of the browser, you get presented the same 2 tabs more or less, but on the welcome tab, the address box appears differently, with the ghosted gray words 'Search or enter address' -- the moment you search for....example here 'catfish'...you see this...

....m'kay?.....the google search engine is promoted to 'default' search engine, however you can one-time-search the string with one of the other browsers by clicking on their respective icon ; if you wish, you can click on the settings widget to the right and define which search engine is promoted to the top of the list as the default - you an also add other search engines not listed if you want as well.

FF is completely URI driven, and of course the best URI is always about:mozilla =)

Last edited by wotnot; 30-10-21 at 01:20 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (30-10-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

///...later....//

I suppose I should speak to OP's topic -- living rural, what happens here is that just about storm, and the very occasional irrigator pump lunching on it's windings or the spray head ends up shooting water at overhead wires and they touch...trips the breakers at the sub-station, which will restrike 20-30secs later (and provided there isn't a persistent line fault, stay on), and so when the computer is restarted, and FF starts, I just click restore session, and it reloads all the browser windows/tabs that were open before the lights went out --- but it doesn't load every tab page, just the tabs you click on and make active. So I may have 6 browser windows open, with maybe 20+ tabs per window, but only around 20% ever get reactivated, before the power goes out again.

It never troubles me, something I really want to look at again, I'll bookmark ; anything else I ever looked at is in history -- one just has to remember what they were looking at =) The term "Tab-a-Holic", for mine, conjures thoughts of addiction wrt folks with an equine racing gambling problem, but if you've got 24gb of ram to throw a browser at, it likely falls into the realm of acceptable ram usage (though I would never subject my own mind to a supermarket aisle containing 270+ products disguised as browser tabs =)

I became curious about how the mozilla foundation tippytoed through a mindfield of opinion, by promoting google as default search engine...ie; how are they 'enforcing' this search engine policy. The important thing to remember here, is what config options you have with FF, and what they do, and whether or not those options are documented or not, or even known about, depends on the specific binary version of FF you are using....I'm just the scribe, paraphrasing the first para of the dev wiki ...'due to limitations with this wiki software, some options cannot be presented correctly, and may not be included'....lol....anyhow, for the build of firefox-esr that's part of the Debian 11 package repo, all this is exposed in the user config options at the URI about:config

M'kay....

browser.search.official - I can't find a description for, but relative to how the rest of this works, it made me do the Spock raised eyebrow thang...I'd have to grab the src.deb and glimpse it

browser.search.searchEnginesURL -- search engines are handled as addons (plugins), which are downloaded from the specified URL - in this case, the mozilla.org supplied list of addons. If indeed google are paying for top spot, I wonder if the other search engine providers are also paying for their addon to be part of the (official =) mozilla list? Likely they give it away for free to wikipedia, but did you notice...2 amazon logos in the image above?

browser.search.separatePrivateDefault --- this is a groovy widget... you can specify a different search engine to be used when you have a private browser window...the stated rationale is that ppl who choose *not* to use google as a search engine, typically do so due to privacy concerns, and while that is understandable, this practice may lead them to miss out on potentially relevant results that the google search engine would've returned. Ergo, to allow users to use the google search engine within a 'private' browsing environment, we give you this widget (and a couple of others) to futz with, so mozilla allegedly keeps getting a kickback from google inc for promoting them, while allowing our users to circumvent 'the problem'.

This is all the low-level stuff, you can get at it from the settings GUIs...I think?...I'll check when I wake up... =)
    Last edited by wotnot; 30-10-21 at 01:33 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Maybe FF & Google know more about me than they let on and know that I will "customise" it to my needs anyway. Cue: eerie music here.......

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Maybe FF & Google know more about me than they let on and know that I will "customise" it to my needs anyway. Cue: eerie music here.......
    looks like the ACCC is trying to divert googles dominance.

Internet users in Australia could be asked to choose a search engine from a mandatory screen as part of efforts to break up Google's dominance.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission on Thursday urged it be given the power to develop the screen, outlined in its third Digital Platform Services Inquiry interim report.

The report, which examines search engine selection screens like those in Europe, argues that default settings entrench Google services.
    ACCC chair Rod Sims said this stifled innovation and reduced consumer choice.

He said consumers may not be aware of search engines which protect users' privacy or have an ecological focus. Examples are DuckDuckGo and Ecosia.

Mr Sims said a competitive search market could benefit consumers by having fewer sponsored search results, better data protection and other rewards.

A Google spokesman said: 'People use Google Search because it's helpful, not because they have to and its popularity is based on quality that's built on two decades of innovation.

'Android gives people choice by allowing them to customise their device – from the apps they download, to the default services for those apps.

Google provided a search engine choice screen for Android users in Europe, which followed European Commission concerns about its dominance.

'Pre-installation benefits users by making it easier for them to use services quickly and easily. We are continuing to review the report and look forward to discussing it with the ACCC and government,' a Google spokesman said.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member
    Thanks

LoL... quite likely...anyhow, it does work ....

ref. (win10 method may differ)

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

If the ACCC is serious about breaking up google's dominance they might want to take a look at the limited choices we have when it comes to phones, probably wouldn't hurt to get into the Search Engine Optimisation side of things either to clean out some rubbish.
    Always try to offend at least one person snowflake a day!
    Stop using acronyms!!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    'Ignoring the right to privacy and saying you have nothing to hide is like not caring about free speech because you have nothing to say.'

Do you also leave your doors and windows unlocked when you leave the house?

Do you really want all that data and profiles collected from you sold to third parties, telemarketers and scammers?

Are you sure you can trust our governments and politicians controlled by big corporations with all that info(and so much more you haven't a clue about) so they can use it to manipulate you and filter what you can see and do?

Have you thought about how easy it would be to misuse this data against you, deliberately or mistakenly?

If any of above might sound concerning to you I would suggest at least to use the DuckDuckGo search engine(can be integrated into Firefox) instead of Google which also gives better results not dependent on Googles adware features. There ARE also alternative options for other Google services that work very well like OpenStreetMap which can work offline. I never enable Wifi on my phone.

Ha!!... Just when I was beginning to like you!!! (Joking!). (Though I do like you!!).
    I get what you are saying, and I guess I was being a bit "tongue-in-cheek" with what I was saying. I DO take security seriously, when/where it is relevant.
    And I DO often use "DuckDuckGo". I didn't mind the apparently popular digression to the subject of Firefox & default browsers. In that regard, I think that for
    a lot of people who are not real technical or computer literate, and have a new system, a Browser must start with SOME Search-Engine though, initially!!!

• The Following User Says Thank You to Ah-Those-Old-Days! For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (31-10-21)

Thanks

Default Firefox amd Lotteries

Hi all.

This is part of an email exchange I had with Lotteries.

The Lott website does not support Firefox Ref # 50346363

FF ignored the problem Lotteries at least replied.

Luv and kisses to all

Buy cheap and pay often, - there is no substitute for stupidity.

You wipe your bum after each crap, why don't you clean your teeth after every meal?

There is no shame in being uneducated nor in being stupid.
    The true shame lies in knowing that you are and doing nothing about it.

Only the living worry about dying.

To the tobacco addicts - Smoke more and die sooner, so I can breathe fresh air. Thank you.

Education is the only sure cure for religion

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast