Thread: Laws on Security Alarm on your own property

Thanks

Default Laws on Security Alarm on your own property

Hey guys,

I'm planning on upgrading our alarm panel and a few detectors from an existing bosch system, having experience with alarms, but I am just wondering if there are any laws or stuff that says you can't install security systems in your own house? I'd assume you can do what you like on your own property at your own risk but I don't want to go ahead and do it if it somehow puts me in jeopardy.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I guess if you did your own alarm and it's noted on insurance that there is an alarm, and it didn't function properly during a break in the insurance may reduce you claim.

There is an Aust Std for installation requirements for alarms.

Also you should have a cabling licence for installing the cables.

• The Following User Says Thank You to secure For This Useful Post:

jwntl02 (23-10-21)

Thanks

Electronic security laws vary from state to state in terms of who can install electronic security systems. Federal law with associated standards (AS2201) exist to outline what can be installed, where it can be installed and how it is to be installed. This law cross-references other standards, like Wiring Rules (AS3000 and S009). Unfortunately you can't do what you like on your own property because of the risks involved, hence the need to have licenced electricians, plumbers, etc, etc.

• The Following User Says Thank You to CT4 For This Useful Post:

theunofficialyvonne (25-10-21)

Thanks

I guess if you already have cables installed and the system meets Australian Standards, you could perform at your own risk.

If you want to play it safe, get an installer to assist you in the upgrade, or at least have a licenced installer/technician inspect and test the system to ensure its installed correctly.

Our initial system years ago was installed incorrecty and didnt follow standard, so sometimes the professionals can get it wrong too. It's good to reguarly get it serviced by a technician, and most insurance policies require you to get the system serviced every 1-2 years to qualify for discount (as this is in the Australian Standard too)

You should get a qualified cabler if you need new cables installed.

AS/NZS 2201.1-2007 [Pending Revision]