Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Topaz Video Enhance AI - Artificial Intelligence Software for Video

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Bah, I would be here forever so the above will do. It's just to show what can be done. Some will say they prefer film with grain on it. I don't.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 576 Posts

Just out of interest, "encoding for over 2 full days" on what hardware?

I'm just upgrading my PC that I do video work on with a couple of RTX3090 GPU's (my old GTX1080's are going into external Thunderbolt enclosures) so I'd be interested to know if this software takes advantage of all those Cuda cores.

Andrew

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    Just out of interest, "encoding for over 2 full days" on what hardware?

I'm just upgrading my PC that I do video work on with a couple of RTX3090 GPU's (my old GTX1080's are going into external Thunderbolt enclosures) so I'd be interested to know if this software takes advantage of all those Cuda cores.

Andrew
    Intel i9 9900k @4.70Ghz
    64 GB Ram
    GeForce RTX 2080 Super Ventus OC Edition 8GB

It is a pretty extreme example. The Blu-Ray rip was 30gb. I am sure most people would have been more than happy with it

End result is on Youtube below, though obviously Youtube compress the hell out of stuff. Having said that, they do any amazing job. Using 4K Downloader set to download at .mkv only (.mp4 is a heap smaller when downloading from Youtube), the full concert .mkv is 7.2gb in size.

Note : Anyone that clicks on it below, it defaults to 360p when embedded, select 4K.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    .... I'd be interested to know if this software takes advantage of all those Cuda cores.
    Yes, it does.

I run a single RTX3090, AMD RYZEN 5950X, 128GB RAM
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

admin (29-03-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I had to bite when Topaz offered some of their other software dirt cheap on the recent black Friday sale.
    I have extensively researched my family tree and have a fair collection of historic photos or copies of them, and also have my great great grandparents photo album that they got as a wedding present in 1882 full of photos.

I had a play around with an image of a relative, taken from a portrait circa 1900. As you will see when you click on the link below, it was in pretty rough shape. I don't even have the actual portrait, I cant remember if it's a scan or I used my mobile phone but I visited a distant cousin in Tasmania in 2017 and got it then. It's only 663.3 KB in size.

I think the results speak for themselves, I am very happy. I will add that Topaz didn't produce all the results. I went over it first with good old freebie Snapseed and manually removed most of the marks with the "Healing" wand before cropping it and then using Topaz Gigapixel AI followed by Topaz Adjust AI.

663kb Original

After using Snapseed, Topaz Gigapixel AI and Topaz Adjust AI

Amazing, how long does something like that take

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedXT View Post
    Amazing, how long does something like that take
    It took me about 60 - 90 minutes.

I was surprised on the great result because what I was working with wasn't great to start with.....I don't mean all the scratches and stuff, but the fact I couldn't scan it myself in high quality. I have an Epson V800 Scanner at home and would have loved to scan the original, but I was in another state. I must have taken it with my mobile, as I have another 2 "photos of photos" from the same relatives house.

So I wasn't super confidant at 700 odd kb in size and quality (it may have been 2015 and not 2017 when I took it). I opened it in Google Photos on my Samsung S7+ tablet and edited it with Snapseed, which is a free app from Google (I think it might even be built in to Google Photos editing ?)

Using Snapseed's tools, it has an option called "Healing" which basically means you enlarge the pic as much as possible and run your finger (or S-Pen in case of Samsung, or both like me) over the marks and remove them.
    There is a bit of an art to it, but you work out what can and can't be done. So the thing that took the longest was that process, about an hour. It depends on how fussy you are....I tend to go overboard with most things. But obviously it is a LOT easier to do with a high quality scan and low quality ones wont zoom a great deal.

Gigapixel really gave it some kapow that's for sure and the AI software helped on a few small bits that I couldn't zoom enough in to. Looking at it, I did miss a small bit in her left eye that makes it look a bit blood shot but for a first serious effort I am very happy.

It's amazing software, the whole Topaz suite. I haven't been as impressed with any other software as much as this for a longtime. Even better in my opinion is that they have kept it affordable, unlike stuff from Adobe that they want the King's ransom for. I think Topaz will do well because they have an ongoing income in that you need an update subscription....you buy the product and get free updates for a year. After that, you have to pay for an update subscription.....well you don't actually, you can still use it but at the rate they are improving it I don't mind paying it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

RedXT (29-03-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Might pay to look at your hd speeds.

Maybe get a couple of ssd to use with that software....

usages.kangaroos.sound

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    Might pay to look at your hd speeds.

Maybe get a couple of ssd to use with that software....

usages.kangaroos.sound
    Was that to me ? If so, I have a Samsung 970 Plus NVME SSD and a Samsung 860 QVO SSD.

Pink Floyd Delicate Sound Of Thunder was the only video that I have had a huge wait on. It's 2 hours of Blu_Ray being converted to 4K and changing to 60FPS, so its not really surprising.
    Frames per second is where time starts coming in. Basically 60 fps takes twice as long as 30fps without taking any other considerations in. And it is 24 fps, so even longer.

You are also changing the video completely with Artificial Intelligence. Different AI profiles take different amounts of time - there are low, med and high quality profiles and profiles with adjustable levels such as Proteus which is the one I used on DSOT.

I could take the Blu-ray rip and change it from 1920 x 1080@24FPS to 3840 x 2160@60FPS with something like Filmora in less than 2 hours. But the picture will still look the same.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Only reason I mentioned it was I have run into that problem before when streaming 4k......

My current internet with nbn and starlink is faster than my mini pc hard drive so I have to download direct to my nas......

usages.kangaroos.sound

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

RE: Snapseed....

Is that just an android app that you run on a PC?

Couldn't find a stand-alone PC version.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    RE: Snapseed....

Is that just an android app that you run on a PC?

Couldn't find a stand-alone PC version.
    Just did a Google and yes, its an app only for Android and IOS. My photos are all on Google Photos in full resolution, so I do all the fiddly editing stuff by opening them in Google Photos on my tablet and clicking on edit......Snapseed is hidden up the end under ..."more". Once I do what I want I hit save. I can then go to my PC and the Photo is there, as Google Photos syncs the photos in the account, and Snapseed gives you a new edited photo and leaves the original as is. I can then use the Topaz suite on the photo on my PC.

I have a Samsung S7+ tablet, which has a beautiful 12.4 inch SuperAmoled screen 2800 x 1752 and HDR10+ as well as an S-Pen, so it's nice to be able to edit whenever or wherever I want. I have never tried editing anything too fiddly on a desktop before, I don't know if I actually could

I am surprised that Snapseed is Free, as you can do a lot with it and it's fairly straight forward to use. Google give it almost zero promotion.

I *think* I can vaguely remember Snapseed was part of Google Photos by default, but they removed it and you had to download it yourself. I am not sure why, as it is a great addition to Google Photos and they should have left it built in.
    I also read that there was originally a desktop version, but it got the chop in 2015 when Google purchased the product from the company that developed it.

mtv (30-03-22)

Administrator
    Thanks

Just a bit of a bump and interested if anyone has been having a play with Topaz Photo products as well as video.

I got a mates grandfathers WW2 file for him recently, and Australian WW2 files have a small portrait photo. They are not big.

This is the only photo of him that is known, so I said I will have a crack at doing something with it. Although it gives my mate an idea of what he looks like, it's not great (he died when my mate was a kid and he only has faint memories of him). Based on the size, I wasn't overly confidant of producing anything good, but I did surprise myself last time.

lsemmens (06-06-22)

Administrator
    Thanks

I used Gigapixel and Sharpen AI, before touching it up and finishing it with Snapseed.

To get the image in the first place I just took a screen shot and pasted it in to Microsoft Paint.

enf (18-05-22)

Administrator
    Thanks

So anyone else done anything worthwhile or interesting to post up ? It does get boring being the only one trying to drum up interest in what are new and innovative products that are worth talking about.

It's interesting in the image I posted that his head came out great but his uniform came out crap. Having said that, I don't think it looks great in the original either for some reason.

Thanks

I plan on giving VEAI a go when I have time, but my use will almost exclusively be up-scaling (and quite often de-interlacing) DVD content that just isn't available on Blu-ray, so nothing too exciting there.

One question I've been meaning to ask is, what file options does it support? Is it mp4 only or will it accept (and output) mkv files? And what codecs are available (I love H265/VP9 for the compression)?

Actually, make that two questions, can it handle multiple audio and/or subtitle tracks in a source file, or does it strip away all but the primary video/audio tracks?

Administrator
    Thanks

Topaz AI doesn't support much in video file format, only mp4 and mov (it says ProRes 422 HQ next to it, I have never looked at it).

Interestingly it also has jpg, png, tif (8 bit uncompressed) and tiff (16 bit uncompressed) as output options......I have no idea why ? I might have a fiddle and see. (Edit : Had a fiddle and buggered if I know what it is meant to do)

Deinterlacing has worked really well for me, not just on the actual deinterlacing but it also fixing the video at the same time. Particularly on files from DVD.

I just opened an .mkv in it that has 2 audio streams and there isn't any options that I can see. If you run the main deinterlacer (Dione Interlaced TV), it doubles the framerate and does not keep the audio.

I use Filmora for editing, so put both the new and old files in and detach the audio from the old one and put it on the new one.
    I do this no matter what profile I use as I believe the audio comes out damaged on profiles that keep it. I have reasonably decent headphones (Sennheiser Momentum) and I believe the audio comes out noticeably "tinnier".

Based on my own use so far and you stating what you want to do, you will also need a secondary editing program. There are no codecs, files are very large. You cannot set the bitrate, you can and do end up with files with a bitrate as high as 80,000 at worse if you upscale stuff to 4K. While replacing the original audio with Filmora, I output the file how I want it, otherwise files would be enormous. I generally only play with Music videos but at 1920x1080, 50fps and a bitrate of 10,000.....lets say around 300 meg in size for 4 minutes (H264 with Filmora).

The Pink Floyd concert that I recently did came out brilliantly, but only has the one audio track. I have been pondering how to add both from the original .mkv to my new video.

I would definitely download it for a trial run first, and based on what you said you want to do, Dione Interlaced TV would likely be the profile that would work best for you, but wont keep audio and double frame rate.

Thanks

I use about a dozen different 'tools' at the moment depending on what I need to do.

If you knew the output file was exactly the same length as the source, you could simply use MKVmerge (or MKVToolNix or whatever it's called now) to mux whatever tracks you like into an MKV container.

I have some MKVs with two or three video tracks, a dozen-odd audio tracks and countless subtitles, but they usually start out that way (all from the same source file off a Blu-ray disc or whatever). If you go messing around with only one component, such as the video track, then the audio track(s) will often end-up out of sync.

If the video track was generated properly with timecodes on each frame then it's not too hard to re-sync the audio without re-encoding. Otherwise, as you mentioned, a video editing suite is the next step.

You've more or less answered my question anyway. I was more wondering whether this software will output a finished product but it sounds like it's just a step in the process.

Thanks

While I think of it...

Is there anything in this suite of programs that will remove on-screen/overlayed text from a video file? I suppose the same question applies to watermarks?

I've got some files with hard-coded subtitles that I would dearly love to get rid of as they aren't in English. Not a huge issue but it just irks me.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12