Thread: Which VPN should I use

Thanks

Default Which VPN should I use

Hi all.
    just after some rock solid advise on VPN's.

A bit of background.. I am in the process of writing a very detailed email to the CEO of the company I work for in relation to a new manager starting and he's all about bullying and harassment, threaten to sack people and there have been a few whistle-blower reports submitted to an independent company. i assume that the CEO would be notified about the whistle-blower report but i'm not certain about it so I thought I should let him know. It has caused people to go on anxiety medication, anti-depressants etc and would hate for them to do self harm.

I don't know how the CEO will react so I want to protect myself from them finding out where the email came from. From what my small knowledge of computer software goes, I know I can use a VPN which I have (Kaspersky VPN).

Would that be enough or should I buy something different? I have created a fake name gmail address and have never logged into the account using my work computer. All this is being done on my personal computer.

Cheers in advance.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

i use cyber ghost

Thanks

Thanks. Is there any way the IT dept can trace it back to me if I use Kaspersky VPN? This is my main concern.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

save as a draft then email it from an internet cafe etc...... [do they still exist ?]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    save as a draft then email it from an internet cafe etc...... [do they still exist ?]
    I doubt they still exist. I thought a VPN would be ok.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

snail it

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slick1 View Post

I don't know how the CEO will react so I want to protect myself from them finding out where the email came from. From what my small knowledge of computer software goes, I know I can use a VPN which I have (Kaspersky VPN).
    Sending emails through VPN does not generally protect you as SMPT servers can bypass it.
    Using gmail is a very bad idea as you needed to verify your identity somehow for a google account.

I STRONGLY suggest to create an email account with fake name using mail.com or gmx.com (no identification required and skip providing a backup email) and then use their webmail service only, NOT from your PC with a client.

A very good VPN is NordVPN.
    They update their servers very often which you can select manually, so less trouble with blacklisting.
    Google, Facebook and Netflix will still block you when they feel the need as they constantly monitor the IP ranges of all VPN services like sharks.

If you don't want to spend money or sign up to something(that alone is a security risk because they have your CC details) I highly recommend the Epic browser:

for maximum security.

It has a free built in proxy VPN that you can select for different countries to hide your IP.
    You can then test if it works by typing in: what is my ip
    in Duckduckgo.

Epic may not be useful for your general use, as it blocks all the nasty things on the www which can lead to loss of functionality on many websites that are solely out there to track and data mine you. Some end up looking more like a text message but any REAL content, if there was any, is often still viewable.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 25-11-21 at 02:37 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Set up a Proton Mail account...it's free and secure as it gets. Run from CERN in Switzerland. They even have a VPN that you can trial if you don't want to pay for one. I use BOXPN as my VPN service.

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Go to maccas and use their wifi, so that, too will add another layer of anonymity.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

gulliver (26-11-21)

Thanks

after reading what you are wanting and thinking about it a bit more i personally would

1: install tor on my laptop
    2: go and use a free wifi setup
    3: using tor i would setup an email account as mentioned by enf above
    4: send the email you want.
    5: only ever log into that email again using tor and a free wifi.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (26-11-21)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Hiding your identity may effect consideration by management to your complaint.

Unless someone is prepared to substantiate their allegations, anonymous complaints may be ignored.

Just saying.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (27-11-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Hiding your identity may effect consideration by management to your complaint.

Unless someone is prepared to substantiate their allegations, anonymous complaints may be ignored.

Just saying.
    This is true..but as long as it's not abusive, rather suggestive, it would probably cause a competent manager to make some subtle inquiries...
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (27-11-21)

Thanks

enf offers one of the better solutions. VPN does not protect your email, or change anything about your email. VPN just cloaks the location you attached to the internet from, and the location you connect to other services from. For example, a server may think you are connecting from Spain. But, if your normal email is jobob @ abc . com then A VPN will not change that. So, you will need a new email and I would sign up for that email via a VPN connection. Windscribe is a free (limited) VPN also that is a browser extension.

Thanks

Off Topic
    So From above: A VPN just hides your location that you are attached to the Internet, Does not protect emails, but with au at the end of my email address, I am more likely an Oz resident, or an Oz resident OS..

So what if I am not worried about OS residents/underworld knowing that I live in OZ and in particular SA. Why a VPN ( other than options like Password safe etc) if I have a good Antivirus etc etc.

Thanks

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInSa View Post
    Off Topic
    So From above: A VPN just hides your location that you are attached to the Internet, Does not protect emails, but with au at the end of my email address, I am more likely an Oz resident, or an Oz resident OS..

So what if I am not worried about OS residents/underworld knowing that I live in OZ and in particular SA. Why a VPN ( other than options like Password safe etc) if I have a good Antivirus etc etc.

Thanks
    Essentially speaking, if you connect to a malicious website using a VPN, any malicious code still gets transmitted to your computer, and because your OS of choice requires anti-virus software, that software has to deal with the malicious code, the same way it would had you had connected to the malicious website without using a VPN.

For the most part, ppl use a VPN to be able to view/watch certain online content, that's not available in their location...ie; lots of videos on youtabe are only available to those living in the US, so you use a VPN to make it appear like your connection is coming from the US, not AU.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

PeterInSa (22-12-22),Tiny (18-05-23)

Thanks

IMO Mullvad is probably the best at the moment for privacy. They've even had a search warrant executed against them & were not able to provide relevant info. You can read more about it here:

But with what you're trying to do, I'd also go a bit further than this. Depending on how paranoid you want to get, tor browser, etc might be the better way to go.

Thanks

Yeah, I would do the same in your place, given the sensitive nature of your situation.
    Consider using a proxy instead of a VPN.
    Now, proxies work somewhat similarly to VPNs, but they provide an added layer of anonymity as they reroute your internet traffic, hiding your IP address. And proxies are accessible, there are many sellers online.
    I use – their services are fast and dependable. Considering your need for enhanced security, I think exploring this option could be worth it.
    Last edited by ben10; 09-09-23 at 02:54 AM.