Thread: Samsung Galaxy S4 upgrade to 'Lineage-OS' !!??

Banned
    Thanks

Default Samsung Galaxy S4 upgrade to 'Lineage-OS' !!??

Hi. I've been a tech person all my life, but am now old & suffering many medical problems, and am losing confidence!!
    My "Samsung Galaxy S4 I9506" phone, will not upgrade the Android OS beyond a certain level, that is needed now-days
    by certain current Apps to be able to run. (Important Apps, not games). I've backed up EVERYTHING from my phone, including
    all my Apps, and I've previously 'rooted' (in a good way!) my phone, and have looked a lot into this 'Lineage-OS' system instead.

Doing so, evidently brings the device up to 'Android-9', which is great, but I'm a bit confused as to the myriad of instructions and
    download variations that are available?? One website & youtube video had a comment from someone to the effect...
    "I used it on my samsung galaxy s4 ( GT-I9506 ), I just had to use open gapps arm (9 nano) instead of opengaps arm 64. It works fine!"
    Sigh... I didn't really understand that. Has anyone else had simple success in this regard, and put my mind at ease!!

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Yes, years ago, when LineageOS was Cyanogenmod...(but back in those days one was loath to install a firmware image put together by a 'stranger on some forum on the net', so I compiled it myself =) Things are a bit better now with 'official' release branches of Android in this regard...but then again...that only works since they changed the Android deployment strategy to include the Treble project, and you do all of this much differently now-a-days.

Regarding the gapps comment...off the top of my head, it might be the arm64 build of gapps gets it horribly wrong when run on the S4's arm7 based core (which isn't the same as cortex-A15 architecture), and the arm9 build of the gapps nano suite gets it right ... possibly the arm64 build follows the wrong code path during execution on the samsumg krait core and has a seg_fault and quietly dies...something like this (depends on what S4 you've got I guess).

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (30-11-21)

Banned
    Thanks

OK, I guess I'll just bite the bullet, follow the 'latest' instructions, pre-download everything possibly needed, and just do it!
    If I succeed, and produce a Samsung-S4 working with Android-9, and all my Apps work, then I will report back with all instructions needed!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Yes, years ago, when LineageOS was Cyanogenmod...(but back in those days one was loath to install a firmware image put together by a 'stranger on some forum on the net', so I compiled it myself =) Things are a bit better now with 'official' release branches of Android in this regard...but then again...that only works since they changed the Android deployment strategy to include the Treble project, and you do all of this much differently now-a-days.

Regarding the gapps comment...off the top of my head, it might be the arm64 build of gapps gets it horribly wrong when run on the S4's arm7 based core (which isn't the same as cortex-A15 architecture), and the arm9 build of the gapps nano suite gets it right ... possibly the arm64 build follows the wrong code path during execution on the samsumg krait core and has a seg_fault and quietly dies...something like this (depends on what S4 you've got I guess).
    Thanks for that great guidance mate. I've done a lot more research, along with more contemporary downloads/modules. My delays to-date, are mainly
    due to massive ongoing health problems, and other domestic priorities! The first thing that I 'have' done though, is buying 2 new batteries on eBay.
    (An Australian supplier). Both my & the Missus phone are the same Samsung-S4. I was surprised how cheap they are!! at about $6.50, no postage cost!
    And yes, they work well, and have a slightly higher mA-Hr rating than the Samsung originals.

INTERESTING point about the price difference with a Samsung 'original' (Over $50)... The 'original' includes an aerial inside the battery, for the 'NFC'
    (Near Field Communication) ability of the phones! I have that feature turned off anyway, and will never use it!
    I'll endeavor to report back with details after Christmas, about the new Lineage-OS setup and workability.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

I should point out that installing gapps, is entirely optional. You don't install it if you want a 'de-googled' phone (you sideload other apps and can access non-google apps stores) There's tutorials out there on the web with details of how to do it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (25-12-21)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    I should point out that installing gapps, is entirely optional. You don't install it if you want a 'de-googled' phone (you sideload other apps and can access non-google apps stores) There's tutorials out there on the web with details of how to do it.
    Sorry for the delay here. (I posted a new thread a while ago, which was a no-no. Oops!).
    Yes, I understand what you say, after research. The VERSION of 'GAPPS' that I used is called 'GiTApps', in conjunction with 'LineageOS'. It installs just the
    minimal of 'Google' stuff, that suited me, as I still needed/wanted SOME Google presence on my phone, and this module was perfect for me.

I mainly just wanted to say that all went well!! The Samsung-S4 phone upgraded perfectly to Android-11, (LineageOS 18.1), and it now runs fast and clean too, with very low battery usage. All the latest spec apps now download/Install/Run. Just have to get used to the new look/feel of the new O.S. version.

The ONLY thing I've only recently noticed?, is that after adding a certain number of Apps, that first 1 & now 2 App 'Icons' vanished?? I found out that they are still installed & working, but just the 'Icons' had vanished?? Am still working on that issue. Not sure of the cause??