Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Criminal justice - victim blaming

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post
    Yes I've seen that happen to a couple of men I've known for many decades, I do not believe they would ever harm the those who accused them, they practically idolised them.
    Unfortunately it's not only ex partners either, spoilt kids can do the same for something as trivial as not getting their own way, seen that one happen also, when it comes down to their word against the man's, nearly every time the man is found guilty regardless whether they are or not.
    therein lies the problem. In every case, whether the accused is guilty or not, it is the innocent who suffer. The problem being, how to determine true guilt. The court system can only operate on the balance of probabilities inasmuch it is a "HE said, SHE said" form of determining guilt. Unless a person admits guilt, it makes it difficult to determine the truth and even then there is a possibility that the person admitting guilt is not quite the full quid and accepting responsibility for a crime that they could not possibly have committed.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Jma (04-12-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

and even then there is a possibility that the person admitting guilt is not quite the full quid and accepting responsibility for a crime that they could not possibly have committed
    They go into the loony bin instead =)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

In these 'bad man' trials where there is no actual evidence, so called 'evidence' is heard which consists solely of witness statements.
    There is no inconclusive verdict, it just goes on and on until there is a guilty or not guilty verdict.

Those who can provide better statements and find more buddies to support them and can act and break down convincingly in cross examinations will win.
    The female just beats the male here hands down. I think it is in their nature, I mean genetically.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,965 Times in 9,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

The female just beats the male here hands down. I think it is in their nature, I mean genetically.
    As a married man, I concur...
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    "How much does it cost to keep someone in jail in Australia 2021?
    The annual total net cost of imprisonment was estimated to be $61,179 per prisoner, or $391.18 per prisoner per day. This is around 20 percent higher than the direct sentence costs of prison alone."

Ummm? Some funky maths going on right there.
    So which is it, $61,179 per prisoner per annum = $167.61 per day or $391.18 per day = $142,780.70 per annum?

There are still 365 days in a year, right.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (04-12-21)

LSemmens
    Thanks

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

allover (05-12-21),Uncle Fester (04-12-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Ummm? Some funky maths going on right there.
    So which is it, $61,179 per prisoner per annum = $167.61 per day or $391.18 per day = $142,780.70 per annum?

There are still 365 days in a year, right.
    Correction services in AU is an industry, and the govt. is footing the bill ~ it's more a cash-cow than it is a social service aimed at repatriating crims into society. It'd be nice to think I was doing a Bullwinkle and pulling a rabbit out of my hat citing those numbers, but unfortunately I wasn't playing the fool...here's the link...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Ha ha, so true.

...and thanks for not using postimg
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (05-12-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    As a married man, I concur...
    it sounds like the system is being abused all round

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    "How much does it cost to keep someone in jail in Australia 2021?
    The annual total net cost of imprisonment was estimated to be $61,179 per prisoner, or $391.18 per prisoner per day. This is around 20 percent higher than the direct sentence costs of prison alone."

Now....lemme see here....I'm a disability pensioner, so I get $450 per week -- this is justice?

You know what, the govt. could probably buy me an EV if they didn't have to pay that much for incarceration....then I could help 'save the planet' ...but nah, they want to spend this much saving prisoners, many of whom will never be repatriated into society.

If you really want to twist your brain, go search for the costs involved with lethal injection.

IMHO, yet another example of boundless human stupidity, especially for 'lifers' (those serving sentences for the rest of their life without parole)
    And what is the solution? send no one to prison, give em all community orders and set them free!! helps the bottom line of a budget.

Until a few leftists politicians and social leaders are raped, murdered, bashed, burgled, had their car jacked on them, nothing will happen.

Those that have never been victims are running the system. why would they change it to actually punish anyone.

they are feeling all warm and fuzzy thinking they are actually achieving something, but they are out of touch in a BIG way.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

enf (05-12-21),Reschs (05-12-21),VroomVroom (06-12-21),wotnot (05-12-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    And what is the solution?
    I've no idea mate, but I did thank you for your solution, which I consider close to the mark =)

shoot them all, let god sort it out!
    The problem with that though, even if we do let god rationalize all the humanitarian concerns after the fact, is we're talking about an industry, privatized and put out to tender, so we can't go around shooting the crims ... the corrective services industry would collapse, and think of all the jobs that would be lost!! >B^)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

And what is the solution? send no one to prison, give em all community orders and set them free!! helps the bottom line of a budget.

Until a few leftists politicians and social leaders are raped, murdered, bashed, burgled, had their car jacked on them, nothing will happen.

Those that have never been victims are running the system. why would they change it to actually punish anyone.

they are feeling all warm and fuzzy thinking they are actually achieving something, but they are out of touch in a BIG way.
    Quite true mate - very recently PM Scomo's daughter was the supposed victim of online bullying , so now Scomo is going to do something about online bullying....

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

porkop (06-12-21),shred (07-12-21),Uncle Fester (06-12-21)

LSemmens
    Thanks

I've got an idea, "tell all the crims that politicians are fair game and go rape, murder and pillage them leaving us mere mortals alone........

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

enf (06-12-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I've got an idea, "tell all the crims that politicians are fair game and go rape, murder and pillage them leaving us mere mortals alone........
    That's how it is done in the Philippines except they still don't spare the mortals but they leave the CORRUPT politicians unscathed, so I am afraid your suggestion won't work.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12