Thread: Experts say China’s cyberwar is becoming severe threat

Thanks

Default Experts say China’s cyberwar is becoming severe threat

I read recently that china or others nearly hacked Qld power stations

Can someone explain how this is allowed to happen, do they use the internet to hack into onsite servers etc?

If so why does a power station and or other important sites need to have a connection to the outside world that makes them vulnerable ?

Ive read how computer chips may be hidden in computers etc to spy on things but again how does that allow someone to shut down an entire power station?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedXT For This Useful Post:

eaglem (09-12-21),VroomVroom (10-12-21)

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Just about everything is connected to the net in some way for remote reporting & some times remote operation.
    Hacking into power stations & any other important utilities is Militarily advantageous. If you can shut off the water, power & communications of a country you can damage it economically & if you want to physically invade or attack, it makes it much easier if your victim has lost control of it's major utilities.

Spying & Hacking between major world powers has been going on forever & it goes both ways.
    China, Russia, Nth Korea, USA, UK & Australia have been spying & hacking into each others systems since they were invented.

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

There has also been Chinese Spy ships off our coast recently, gathering data more specific to our current military operations. But we do the same to them in the South China sea.

Australia, like the United States, also regularly deploys intelligence-gathering assets to monitor the military activity of other nations, but defence officials believe it is "unusual" two Chinese ships are monitoring Talisman Sabre in 2021.

The Tianwangxing was tracked by the ADF as it transited through the Torres Strait towards Queensland waters, but the Haiwangxing is approaching through the Solomon Sea around Papua New Guinea.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

RedXT (09-12-21)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedXT View Post

Can someone explain how this is allowed to happen, do they use the internet to hack into onsite servers etc?
    It might come as a surprise but Hackers usually don't hack, they login !

The big question how did they acquire the password:
    The usual way, nobody bothered to change the default password.
    The second usual way somebody leaked it, through email spoofing whatever.

If anybody can 'hack' into a system then it is because of incompetence of those operating that system.

Occasionally there are backdoors and flaws, which require intense work and effort to find, this is considered hacking but is rare.

Vulnerabilities are generally caused by the humans using it including not providing 'air gaps' where there should be and allowing trojans to be installed.

We should stop blaming China/Russia and start blaming our own incompetence and do actually something to avoid such easy access from 'hackers' instead of politicising everything the whole time.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 09-12-21 at 10:28 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (11-12-21),fromaron (09-12-21),RedXT (09-12-21)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

@Tiny, gathering intelligence is not the topic but taking control of our infrastructure, far more scary.
    Spying on each other may have existed since the cave men, to find out where the other tribe gets it's food and steal it for example.

It may have peaked in the cold war for a short time but with every advance in technology it has only been increasing.
    We all spy on each other, period
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 09-12-21 at 11:39 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Looks like the Queensland power hack may have actually been a criminal group from Russia.
    Cheers, Tiny

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,062 Times in 9,090 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Looks like the Queensland power hack may have actually been a criminal group from Russia.
    Happens everywhere...and of course there will be the ones we don't know about.

I was told personally by a friend in cyber division at Defence that the Chinese are mounting a constant level of penetration at us. His whole section is tasked with attempted prevention of this on an ongoing basis. If the Chinese get the chip industry in Taiwan, the world will be in deep DEEP sh!t.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Remember a few years ago, the Americans got into the Chinese Cyber Unit computers simply because a member of the unit left open a link? when he played a computer game on his computer!
    Wonder if he is still walking the earth?
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    We should stop blaming China/Russia and start blaming our own incompetence and do actually something to avoid such easy access from 'hackers' instead of politicising everything the whole time.
    I agree with the statement 100%.
    In my work I deal with a lot of Power Generation customers and can see some of them simply refuse to separate networks used for the actual power generation control from corporate networks connected to Internet, emails etc.
    That latest case now sees networks split as precautionary measure. Learnt hard way.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fromaron For This Useful Post:

RedXT (12-12-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,062 Times in 9,090 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    Remember a few years ago, the Americans got into the Chinese Cyber Unit computers simply because a member of the unit left open a link? when he played a computer game on his computer!
    Wonder if he is still walking the earth?
    No, not at all. Our Chinese brethren up north are magnanimous and kind. I'm sure he was rewarded.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Banned
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Uncle Fester;852073]@Tiny, gathering intelligence is not the topic but taking control of our infrastructure, far more scary.
    Spying on each other may have existed since the cave men, to find out where the other tribe gets it's food and steal it for example.

It may have peaked in the cold war for a short time but with every advance in technology it has only been increasing.
    We all spy on each other, period[/QUOTE]

That's all true, but it's what individual Countries want to DO with such information/control... I'm sure the likes of Australia would like
    to know what others are thinking/doing, but China would most definitely be insidious with their control/downfall of others!!

P.S. Re: "People logging-in"... Years ago, when I was in control of IT systems of our major prisons, from Mainframes to PC's, there was
    NEVER an open link, login/password or not, that was accessible by the likes of the 'Internet'. If I ever needed to remotely 'log-in', then
    I would have to phone first with verbal ID, and only then the Router was turned on (powered up), for me to connect with!!, and later,
    immediately shut down. Sounds too simple to believe!!

P.S.2... A lot of other Companies used varying voice codes, before doing work. Some didn't!! I would/could often phone the likes of
    Chubb security etc, and simply say the likes of..."Hi, I'm Fred Bloggs from Honeywell Security, doing work on this building, so you can
    expect alarms & tampers for the next hour, until I call you back"!! (Sigh... I could be anyone saying that!!). "Oh, ok then..."

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ah-Those-Old-Days! For This Useful Post:

gulliver (12-12-21),RedXT (12-12-21),Uncle Fester (12-12-21)

Banned
    Thanks

I guess what I was talking about above... is COMPLACENCY!!! We think nothing really happens in lil'old Australia, but boy are people wrong!
    Again, I'm using an example of a 'prison' years ago. I could hit the intercom at one station, and say something like... "Door 15, 16, 23 & 24 thankyou"...
    And I would hear a "Clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk". Sigh... That would open up an access to the outside world. They were supposed to verify who you are
    via video, and let you through ONE door at a time, including a front/back locked area. Instead, I would go up to the Control Room to tell them off!!!
    I think the same COMPLACENCY exists when dealing with other Countries intentions/actions these days. Do NOT trust the likes of China!!!