Thread: Split Enz - I See Red - Official Video - 1978 - Remastered

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Split Enz - I See Red - Official Video - 1978 - Remastered

"I See Red" is a 1978 song by New Zealand art rock group Split Enz. It was released in December 1978 as the lead single from their studio album Frenzy. "I See Red" was the second Split Enz song to achieve a top 20 chart position, peaking at #15 in Australia and #43 in the band's native New Zealand.

This is by far the best copy of I See Red anywhere. I took the 2002 remastered version from the Split Enz DVD and remastered it again, this time with AI software. An amazing improvement.

Feel free to share this video in any way you can, via social media, Facebook, etc if you are a music fan. High quality videos like this rarely see the light of day on Youtube's search index.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

harryt (28-01-22),Tiny (22-01-22),wotnot (23-12-21)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

I was there at the Split Enz concert at Cloudland, Brisbane in '79 (before it was demolished by the anti-youth Qld govt of the day) ~ one of the best live concerts I ever attended, fond memories =)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

admin (19-01-22)

Administrator
    Thanks

They were an interesting band, that's for sure. My Mistake came out when I was 10, I saw it on Countdown (I also posted that clip just before) and I thought they were creepy, in a clown serial killer sort of way

Premium Member
    Thanks

Haha...yeah, it was a bit of kitsch thing back then, huh....all these bands with this perceived 'stage image' they were projecting as part of their musical 'performance'...

...I'm apparently a handful of years older than yourself, but I have to ask you -- if the 'Endz came across to you as being creepy, in a clown serial killer sort of way, what did you make of the Skyhooks ? ....lol...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

keep up the good work, its excellent to see these old clips in better quality.....

i regularly get on utube music after a few drinks and check out your channel....

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

admin (27-12-21)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    keep up the good work, its excellent to see these old clips in better quality.....

i regularly get on utube music after a few drinks and check out your channel....
    Make sure you use a VPN, a lot are blocked in Aus and NZ, frigging record companies should be blown up

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    frigging record companies should be blown up
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guiseppe For This Useful Post:

admin (09-01-22),lsemmens (04-01-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guiseppe View Post
    LOL, the DK's.... Tonite's the night we ride the truck!!!!!
    Member since March 2002 and still in the Blue

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Haha...yeah, it was a bit of kitsch thing back then, huh....all these bands with this perceived 'stage image' they were projecting as part of their musical 'performance'...

...I'm apparently a handful of years older than yourself, but I have to ask you -- if the 'Endz came across to you as being creepy, in a clown serial killer sort of way, what did you make of the Skyhooks ? ....lol...
    Sorry mate, I must have missed your post.

My mum was pretty cool and funky for a 30 year old at the time, she watched Countdown every week so I saw them a fair bit as well as every other band on the Australian music scene. Red was a bizarre one for sure if you were a kid, and that performance they did of Living In The 70s I can still remember watching on TV when it was first broadcast. That half nude dude with the "rubber glove bikini" certainly stuck in my mind that's for sure, they were just plain strange.

Great times though music wise, I can remember when my mum bought the Suzi Quatro album (her debut album, where the dude is slugging a long neck on the cover). I preferred my mums tatste in music, my old man would just get pissed and play Hot August Night on repeat.

It used to be a bit horrifying if my grandparents came over (my mums parents) and Countdown was on. Lovely people, but church goers. They would talk all through it about the most annoying things and came over on a Sunday afternoon, early evening reguarly.

Conversation about the music video - Fox - S-S-Single Bed

Nana - What is she saying about his shoes ?

Grandpa - He has to take them off, she probably doesn't want dirt on the carpet.

Nana - He could just wipe his feet surely.

Grandpa - She has probably just done the vacuuming if she is expecting him to come over and doesn't want dirt everywhere. Unless he has arrived unannounced but I don't think he would do that at night time as he would scare the dickens out of her.

Nana - Now she is saying she only has a single bed, how does that matter ?

Grandpa - She is saying she has one solitary lonesome single bed. Clearly she doesn't have another one in the spare room. Well it seems he has missed the last train, he doesn't seem to be a very organized chap. Timetables are free, surely he would have one in his wallet like everyone else.

Nana - Well he could just get a taxi surely ?

Grandpa - I don't think this chap has any intention's of leaving. He will probably say he has lost his wallet next. If that's what's happened, then he wouldn't have had the train timetable. He will have to borrow some money for a taxi from her.

Nana - Well he cant stay there, they are not married if he is just popping in for a visit.

Grandpa - I don't know if young Andrew should be watching this, surely she has a couch so why is she banging on about this single bed ? If he was going to stay over on the couch, that's one thing but I think there are suggestions that this chap sleep over in this single bed with her !

Nana - Surely not she must be suggesting that because she only has the one single bed and doesn't have one in the spare room that he has to sleep on the couch, due to him missing the train and losing his wallet. Though you would think a cab would the best solution in a case like this ?

Grandpa - I don't think he stated that he did lose his wallet, but it's certainly possible if he doesn't have money for a cab. Buses do run later than the trains, I wonder if this chap has enquired about the bus route ?

My Mum - gets out a rope and tries to hang herself.

Me : has the misfortune of going home with them as my parents are going out and I am staying at my grandparents house. A 15 minute trip with discussion about single beds and male callers at night and how it is not really acceptable.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (19-01-22),shred (26-01-22),wotnot (19-01-22)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Thanks Admin, made me smile, I was of the countdown era, but never really watched it. I can identify with the conversation though!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

And, who could forget GTK?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Sorry mate, I must have missed your post.

My mum was pretty cool and funky for a 30 year old at the time, she watched Countdown every week so I saw them a fair bit as well as every other band on the Australian music scene. Red was a bizarre one for sure if you were a kid, and that performance they did of Living In The 70s I can still remember watching on TV when it was first broadcast. That half nude dude with the "rubber glove bikini" certainly stuck in my mind that's for sure, they were just plain strange.

Great times though music wise, I can remember when my mum bought the Suzi Quatro album (her debut album, where the dude is slugging a long neck on the cover). I preferred my mums tatste in music, my old man would just get pissed and play Hot August Night on repeat.

It used to be a bit horrifying if my grandparents came over (my mums parents) and Countdown was on. Lovely people, but church goers. They would talk all through it about the most annoying things and came over on a Sunday afternoon, early evening reguarly.

Conversation about the music video - Fox - S-S-Single Bed

Nana - What is she saying about his shoes ?

Grandpa - He has to take them off, she probably doesn't want dirt on the carpet.

Nana - He could just wipe his feet surely.

Grandpa - She has probably just done the vacuuming if she is expecting him to come over and doesn't want dirt everywhere. Unless he has arrived unannounced but I don't think he would do that at night time as he would scare the dickens out of her.

Nana - Now she is saying she only has a single bed, how does that matter ?

Grandpa - She is saying she has one solitary lonesome single bed. Clearly she doesn't have another one in the spare room. Well it seems he has missed the last train, he doesn't seem to be a very organized chap. Timetables are free, surely he would have one in his wallet like everyone else.

Nana - Well he could just get a taxi surely ?

Grandpa - I don't think this chap has any intention's of leaving. He will probably say he has lost his wallet next. If that's what's happened, then he wouldn't have had the train timetable. He will have to borrow some money for a taxi from her.

Nana - Well he cant stay there, they are not married if he is just popping in for a visit.

Grandpa - I don't know if young Andrew should be watching this, surely she has a couch so why is she banging on about this single bed ? If he was going to stay over on the couch, that's one thing but I think there are suggestions that this chap sleep over in this single bed with her !

Nana - Surely not she must be suggesting that because she only has the one single bed and doesn't have one in the spare room that he has to sleep on the couch, due to him missing the train and losing his wallet. Though you would think a cab would the best solution in a case like this ?

Grandpa - I don't think he stated that he did lose his wallet, but it's certainly possible if he doesn't have money for a cab. Buses do run later than the trains, I wonder if this chap has enquired about the bus route ?

My Mum - gets out a rope and tries to hang herself.

Me : has the misfortune of going home with them as my parents are going out and I am staying at my grandparents house. A 15 minute trip with discussion about single beds and male callers at night and how it is not really acceptable.

LoL...cheers mate, that's a parallel of what I went through as a kid ; mum a bit of a hippy buying Beatles albums, and alco dad only prepared to listen to country or western...provided it was Johnny Cash or Gene Pitney.

Noosha Fox...I'm quite sure nobody realized she was a 30something year old aussie when S-S-Single bed was the best one hit wonder in a world of one hit wonders. My greatgran/grandma used to carry on exactly as you portray it above, I used to lean over to my sister and whisper "they just don't get it". I recall once at grandma's, mum coming out of the bathroom with her slip on, and grandma shrieking "Cover yourself! Everyone can see your form!"... (me: "Mum...what's form?" ;-)

I always enjoyed this period of aussie pop, it has a nice earthy home grown feel to it -- when it came to image bands and costumes, greatgran used to tug at my sleeve and lean over, asking me "Is that one of those gay dancers?" ...no gran, it's just a costume, they wear it for TV....and she'd lean back in her chair, and suddenly gasps.."What will their mothers think when they see their sons dressed up like this by the TV people!" <grin>

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    dad only prepared to listen to country or western...provided it was Johnny Cash or Gene Pitney
    Reminds me of the Blues Brothers....." What kind of music do you have here ? Oh, we have both kinds, country and western"

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Love it, great stuff Andrew, I was seeing these guys live at the Flicks in Manly in the early '80's. Angels as well.
    Love the quality you're getting these back to. That program you sourced is a hoot.
    Searched your channel for Split Enz "I got you", couldn't find it. Was a favourite of my missus when we got married in '81. Shit that's a lifetime ago.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Love it, great stuff Andrew, I was seeing these guys live at the Flicks in Manly in the early '80's. Angels as well.
    Love the quality you're getting these back to. That program you sourced is a hoot.
    Searched your channel for Split Enz "I got you", couldn't find it. Was a favourite of my missus when we got married in '81. Shit that's a lifetime ago.
    Shut up Tiny! I'm feeling old NOW, (I got married in '79)
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Searched your channel for Split Enz "I got you", couldn't find it.
    Invest in a VPN, there are some pretty cheap deals out there particularly if you only want it for Youtube.

A large number of my videos are blocked to people in Australia and New Zealand, this is the case with many Australasian bands. "I Got You" is is blocked here, as are a couple of the Split Enz songs I remastered.

As Molly said, do yourself a favour.......VPN. I saw NordVPN even had an ad on Channel 7 the other night, it looks like VPNs are now acceptable, the cops must hate that.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Tiny (23-01-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Vpns are the go, I invested in a multi wan modem router that can handle 32 Vpns.

I run 2 with 2 backups for my nas and torrents, 1 for my TV and iptv and one to my shield with UK TV apps....

I run the VPN app on my PC's for when I need to use one....

I use ipvanish as they are rock solid with the draytek router, nord not so much....

usages.kangaroos.sound

Administrator
    Thanks

It all depends on what you want a VPN for, almost anything will do for Youtube bypassing if thats all that someone wants it for. These record companies and rights holders are imbeciles with some of their policies, such as geo blocking and blocking people uploading their content. As most have worked out, let others upload the video, it automatically gets tagged as theirs and all income goes to them.

I use Express VPN. They are the only VPN that I am aware of that has actually been put to the test of "no logging" claims (which they all say), having had the Turkish Government bust in to a data centre and remove their server after refusing to give access to it. The Turkish Government found nothing on it, true to their word Express keep nothing and apart from that, they don't use physical drives, only RAM so the moment the server is unplugged everything disappears. I wouldn't be using a VPN that uses a physical drive given the technology is there to do without them.