Thread: BlueTooth Delay problems!!

Banned
    Thanks

Default BlueTooth Delay problems!!

I'm a Folk Music 'Muso', (Guitars, Mandolin etc instruments). Sometimes, when I set up my Mixer for Mic's/Instruments, I thought it would
    be nice to use BlueTooth from an Instrument pick-up, without wires/cords. Seems the biggest problem though, is TIMING!! due to the
    inherent delay that results for the BlueTooth signal, so playing along side other Plugged-In people is fractionally out of Sync!! Oh well...
    Playing by one's self though is of course Ok. Back to cables I guess!!!

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Blue tooth has inherent delays, I'm not familiar with the technical reasons, your old mate wotnot might be able to offer some idea. Wireless transmitters work ok. I still prefer hard wired stuff, far less to go wrong!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (02-01-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Blue tooth has inherent delays, I'm not familiar with the technical reasons, your old mate wotnot might be able to offer some idea. Wireless transmitters work ok. I still prefer hard wired stuff, far less to go wrong!
    The technical reasons have to do with the BT processing stack...ie; you have to get the analog audio, digitize it, and then packet that digital into the BT transmission protocol -- same thing at the receiver end, get the BT datastream, turn it back into PCM form, and then use a DSP to reconstruct the audio signal. BT 5.0 is quicker than the first BT standards, but still subject to this processing latency out to somewhere between 100~350ms depending on conditions (interference, signal strength etc etc). Every BT packet contains a preamble header, address header, and CRC checks to ensure the payload data is as it should be, it's not just plain sailing audio =)

Dedicated wireless works ok, as you're just modulating the RF carrier with the audio signal, and there's no digital processing involved. In this case...just like radio.... the latency is defined by the physical distance between transmitter and receiver...(and in some big stage environments they use a multichannel delay deck to synchronize the various wireless inputs so that are within 10ms, and many of these wireless system incorporate a beacon function to allow for this).

For folk music, one would need to purchase an active/passive system (to cover off acoustic instruments without electric pickups), so get the wallet prepared for a $200-$500 hit =)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (05-01-22)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    . . . . .
    For folk music, one would need to purchase an active/passive system (to cover off acoustic instruments without electric pickups), so get the wallet prepared for a $200-$500 hit =)
    Thanks for all that! Yea, we generally have the 'rule' that one person plugged in, all people plugged in! (Including Mic's of course). Most non-electric instruments
    are typically used with an addon/stickon pickup though. Although, often, people like Bass players like to be plugged into their OWN Amp alongside them! It makes
    it harder at the mixer/console though, with/without inherent delays, not to mention master control of it all. Luckily, the majority of our activities in pubs, clubs &
    beer gardens etc., are all un-plugged!! Consisting of say 8 to 15 people loosely grouped, with a collection of Guitars, Mandolins, Violins, Banjos, Flutes etc etc...

P.S.
    I used to play at charity concerts, and also with a few others at the likes of Nursing Homes, but am too ill now... Oh well...
    Last edited by Ah-Those-Old-Days!; 05-01-22 at 11:08 PM.